Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Capt. Kangaroo...i'll Miss Him!!

Don't know about the rest of you guys but I grew up with him teaching me how to be a good person and to remember my prayers.Mr.Greenjeans,Bunny Rabbit,Mr.Moose...and all those ping pong balls.

After hearing fo his death I felt a small part of my childhood slip away.

I never realised he was a WW2 Marine who hated violence on TV and wanted to make a TV show for kids...I think he successed.

Rest In Peace Capt. You'll be missed.

I agree with you, Dagger.

Kids nowadays won't know who Capt. Kangaroo was, but I too, feel a part of my childhood is gone forever.

You know, we all go down the same path eventually. No escaping that. However, when someone like Capt. Kangaroo dies, we are reminded of our own mortality.

God Bless you, Capt. You enriched so many lives. Mine, for one.

Navy Chief

Here is what the AP wire article said:

Capt. Kangaroo, Bob Keeshan, dead at 76

Bob Keeshan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By AP

Bob Keeshan, who gently entertained and educated generations of children as television's walrus-mustachioed Captain Kangaroo, died Friday at 76.

Keeshan died of a long illness, his family said in a statement.

Keeshan's "Captain Kangaroo" debuted on CBS television in 1955 and ran for 30 years before moving to public television for six more. The program was wildly popular among children and won six Emmy Awards, three Gabriels and three Peabody Awards.

The format was simple: Each day, Captain Kangaroo, with his sugar-bowl haircut and uniform coat, would wander through his Treasure House, chatting with his good friend Mr. Green Jeans, played by Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum.

He would visit with puppet animals, like Bunny Rabbit, who was scolded for eating too many carrots, and Mr. Moose, who loved to tell knock-knock jokes.

But the show revolved about the grandfatherly Captain Kangaroo, whose name was inspired by the kangaroo pouch-like pockets of the coat Keeshan wore.

"I was impressed with the potential positive relationship between grandparents and grandchildren, so I chose an elderly character," Keeshan said.

I didn't exactly 'grow up' with CK as much as Mr. Rogers, but I did see his show from time to time. Rest in Peace Capt.- Semper Fi

Fred Rogers is one of the most decorated marine snipers...

he wore those sweaters because of the tattoos Going up his arms

CK was also a highly decorated vet. he was awarded both the bronze star and silver star for valour...

I am trying to find the write ups to post in honor of this great american

Both Rogers and Ck will be missed...I grew up watching both...as well as the little known :WGN, Ray Raynor Show.

Raising a Glass to ya all!

<C>

Fates

Makes me feel a little older to hear this. Loved CK and MR as a kid. To learn they both were decorated combat veterans is a surprise. To see how they turned the war away from themselves and go on to care about others is an inspiration. May they both Rest In Peace till the trumpet sound...they've earned it.

Semper Fi...

Gents and Ladies,

I stand corrected on MR. Ragers. seems i have spouted misinformation that stems to an urban legend.

i have posted an article from a telvision historical website.

Fred Rogers served as a sniper or as a Navy Seal during the Vietnam War, with a large number of confirmed kills to his credit.

This same rumor has often been applied to boyish country singer-songwriter John Denver (among others), and it's just as false when told of Fred Rogers. Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have served in the military — he went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore too old to have enlisted in the armed services by the time of America's military involvement in Vietnam.

Fred Rogers always wore long-sleeved shirts and sweaters on his show to conceal the tattoos on his arms he obtained while serving in the military.

As noted above, Fred Rogers never served in the military, and he bore no tattoos on his arms (or any other part of his body). He wore long-sleeved shirts and sweaters on his show to maintain an air of formality — although he was friendly with the children in his viewing audience and talked to them on their own level, he was most definitely an authority figure on a par with parents and teachers (he was Mister Rogers to them, after all, not Fred), and his choice of dress was intended to establish and foster that relationship.

It also seems that the site I read on CK was a hoax as well. CK was a marine in the reserves in 45-46. her is his bio

BOB KEESHAN. Born in New York City, New York, U.S.A., 27 June 1927. Attended Fordham University, 1946-49. Served in United States Marine Corps Reserve, 1945-46. Married: Anne Jeanne Laurie, 1950; children: Michael Derek, Laurie Margaret, and Maeve Jeanne. Began career as Clarabell for NBC-TV's Howdy Doody Show, 1947-52; appeared as Corny the Clown (ABC-TV), 1953-55, and Tinker the Toymaker (ABC-TV), 1954-55; starred as Captain Kangaroo (CBS-TV), 1955-85; president of Robert Keeshan Associates, from 1955; appeared as Mr. Mayor and the Town Clown (CBS-TV), 1964-65; president, Suffolk County Hearing and Speech Center, 1966-71; director of Marvin Josephson Associates, Inc, New York., 1969-77; director of Bank of Babylon, New York, 1973-79; chair, board of trustees, College of New Rochelle, New York, 1974-80; director of Anchor Savings Bank, 1976-91; chair, Council of Governing Boards, 1979-80; commentator, CBS-Radio, 1980-82; television commentator, 1981-82. Member: Board of Education, West Islip, New York, 1953-58; board of directors, Good Samaritan Hospital, West Islip, New York, 1969-78. Honorary Degrees: D. of Pedagogy, Rhode Island College, 1969; D.H.L. Alfred University, 1969; D.F.A., Fordham University, 1975; Litt.D., Indiana State University, 1978; L.L.D., Elmira (New York) University, 1980; D.L., Marquette University, 1983; D.P.S., Central Michigan University, 1984; D.H.L., St. Joseph College, 1987. Honorary Fellow: American Academy of Pediatrics. Recipient: Sylvania Award, 1956; Peabody Award, 1958, 1972, 1979; American Education Award, Education Industries Association, 1978; Distinguished Achievement Award, Georgia Radio and TV Institute-Pi Gamma Kappa, 1978; Emmy Awards,1978, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984; TV Father of the Year, 1980; James E. Allen Memorial Award, 1981; Distinguished Service to Children Award, 1981; National Education Award, 1982; American Heart Association National Public Affairs Recognition Award, 1987; Frances Holleman Breathitt Award for Excellence, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, 1987; Clown Hall of Fame, 1990

Thats ok..so much misinformation floating around.anyways atleast CK served.and in my beloved Corps! SEMPER FI CAPT.!!

The creator of this urban legend lie in no way diminishes the great service these two men did for their country and its children...the service of peace. Even more important than war.

PS. Dont worry Gator, Ive been duped before too online.