Sign in to follow this  
Barkhorn1x

Going on Vacation to Washington DC

So I will not be posting here from Friday until Monday or so. I’ll miss you guys <sniff>

But, I will be visiting the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum with my camera so I will be collecting shots of Beaulieu-Marconnay’s DVII; U10, Ray Brooks SPAD XIII; Smith IV, the Alb DVa, the Snipe and the Pfalz DXII.

I promise to post them when I get a chance - and if they don't look like s**te.

Good for you! The Smithsonian was my first thought. Please do post some pics here. Have a fun time. Don't you just want to touch it?

Good for you! The Smithsonian was my first thought. Please do post some pics here. Have a fun time. Don't you just want to touch it?

Dude, I WILL touch 'em if I can get close enough!! :good:

...and don't forget there are actually two A&S musems. The one in DC and the one attached to Dulles

(http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/)

Going down to Williamsburg VA for two days as well***. So...I do plan to hit that hangar on the way back - but I do have the wife and kids so that is not definite.

***And will visit Yorktown - the climactic battle of our glorious revolution - "The World Turned Upside Down". :yes:

(To my English friends = sorry for gloating :biggrin: )

"Dude, I WILL touch 'em if I can get close enough!!"

Hey Bark....just don't lick'em. The curators tend to get a little miffed.

Don't ask me how I know. :no:

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

And if you head just a little south of DC (30 miles +/-) you can hit "My Museum" - the National Museum of the Marine Corps. It can't really compete with the Smithsonian for numbers of aircraft, but it does have a JN-4 "Jenny" and a deHavilland DH-4, as well as my name on a big bronze plaque near the waterfountain.

Free admission, open 9:00 - 5:00 every day but Christmas. Oh, yeah, did I mention it has a bar on the second floor!

Enjoy, Barkhorn, and remember to have some events for the kids and your wife.

(If nothing else helps, go and buy shoes with and for her. It's tough, I know, but

see what you get for it! Lol!)

When you go to DC, keep an eye on your wallet, especially around the Capitol. :wink:

When you go to DC, keep an eye on your wallet, especially around the Capitol. :wink:

I tryed one time to go to D.C. Never made IT, I flew into asheboro N.C. to visit Friends Rented a car drove to Va. and found traffic was so bad in D.C. that people take trains in and out. ended up turing Manass Va. and where George Washington grew up then went thru Richmon. Not an airplane in sight. Have a good trip. lol :good:

If you will be commuting much in DC itself, use the metro rail trains. I use them everyday. They're VERY crowded, but still easier than finding parking at these places (and driving there too). If you're in the suburbs, you can drive more.

College Park, MD also has an air museum.

Williamsburg is great too if you enjoy colonial history. Just make sure when you're in D.C. to shower regularly to wash off the slime and corruption that accumulates.