Sign in to follow this  
gunndawg

A few questions from a Falcon 4.0 noob :)

Alright so I just got Falcon 4.0 Allied Force and after reading the manual and watching a few tutorials. I still have a few questions, in order to really clear some stuff up for me.

1.) Could someone please tell me what the radar modes TWS, RWS, VSR, and LRS stand for, as well as tell me how they operate and when, and why to use them?

2.) When using the AIM-120, what type of indicator should I be looking for to let me know its a good time to release a missle? The high pitched growl on the AIM-9's is quite clear, though I am not sure what to look for using the AIM-120

3.) I am starting to learn the Threat Indicator radar/screen and it seems quite nice. Though when setting up a custom dogfight to test some things out....it wont pick up an SU-25, or an A10...yet it will pickup and display a Mig 29 right away, why is this? The A10 even engaged me with an AIM-9 so surely its worth displaying as a THREAT, right?

TWS is track while scan and RWS is range while scan. VSR is something about velocity, I never use it, nor LRS, so I don't recall.

AIM-120 and AIM-9 both have a range scale on the right side of the HUD, with 2 nested brackets and a little tick that moves down the side. When inside the larger bracket you're in theoretical range to hit. Inside the smaller bracket you're in the ideal range aka "no escape zone."

TEWS shows radars looking at you. Planes like A-10 and Su-25 have no radar, so they can't show there. Also, it's based on type of radar, not literal plane, so you will for example notice the Su-33SM shows as "30" and the Su-27 and MiG-29 I believe are both "29" since they share the same radar.

TWS is track while scan and RWS is range while scan. VSR is something about velocity, I never use it, nor LRS, so I don't recall.

AIM-120 and AIM-9 both have a range scale on the right side of the HUD, with 2 nested brackets and a little tick that moves down the side. When inside the larger bracket you're in theoretical range to hit. Inside the smaller bracket you're in the ideal range aka "no escape zone."

TEWS shows radars looking at you. Planes like A-10 and Su-25 have no radar, so they can't show there. Also, it's based on type of radar, not literal plane, so you will for example notice the Su-33SM shows as "30" and the Su-27 and MiG-29 I believe are both "29" since they share the same radar.

What Jedi said is pretty much right. LRS is long range scan, best used for looking at large targets such as a tanker or something. You probably won't ever use anything other than RWS and TWS. The RWR as he said will only show the 'radar signature' so not all planes are listed.

I suggest your read the manual, this is pretty basic stuff.

Preach

The above radar modes are explained from page 85 of the manual - that's training mission 13 - you need to go most of the training missions a few times really - if you dont do it now - you will defo be coming back to them in a few weeks time :)

if you have locked a target, the MRM-circle on HUD becomes big when it is in range of the "120" . In this circle you can see a second

small circle. fly in the direction the small circle is positioned in the big one. if it is right up, turn right and climb. try to get it into the

center and your "120" will have the perfect launch direction to vector an intercept path.