Wrench

Okinawa/Japan - Version 3 (WW2)

Okinawa/Japan - Version 3 (WW2)

Okinawa Terrain Upgrade, Version 3.0

For SF/SFG/WoV/WoE WW2 PTO modded installs, 06 Patch Levels

This mod is a extensive rebuild to Edward's WW2 Okinawa terrain, and is designed to COMPLETELY replace any and all eariler versions. This is the COMPLETE terrain, with all tiles, TODs, inis and terrain objects necessary to (almost) just unzip and fly over. YOU, the End User ™ are still responsible to locate the various and sundry Ground Objects and Aircraft needed for you PTO flying pleasure. I've supplied MANY, but more are not included. This map has been re-designed with Operation Olympic in mind, hence the island of Okinawa itself should be consided "nearly" secured; ie American and Allied forces have pretty much taken the island, and are building up for the Invasion of Japan. The time frame I have in mind in Mid-1945 to approx late 1947, or even into 1948 if needed. To that end, expect a Runway 4 (large airfield, albeit -NOT- historically correct) at Kadena for Bomber Operations, and several smaller auxillary fields to 'activate' themselves based on the year flown (ie: 1946).

Many completely NEW target areas have been added, and the map has been extensively retiled to create a more Japanese looking environment. This retiling 'resets' several cities, adds some rivers, creates clear zones around the various airfields, and corrects some other issues. The targets ini itself has been almost complety rebuilt, adding LOTS of interesting things to look at and blow up. TODs and tgas from "Green Hell" and another terrain project have been used to create forests and such, and several brand new custom TODs and and several new tiles have been created. These are based off the stock VietnamSEA tiling, so these new TODs are usable in ANY map that uses the WoV VietnamSEA tiles, or can easily be imported for any other terrain type.

This is a very 'target rich' environment -- there are plenty of items for strike and anti-shipping missions. It is also HEAVILY defended - so watch out for the flak. As expected, I added the 'Rising Sun' Japanese flag, and the Stars and Stripes. Several 'new' parked aircraft have been added; you'll see them if you look for them. There are also other bits of 'eye candy' floating around... :) I've included several updated data inis for some ships, as they now have semi-proper effects (IJN DDs now have smoke coming out the stacks)

You MUST have ALL the Pacific Objects (ground units, ships, AAA, infantry, etc) already installed in you PTO version of the game; otherwise things won't be appearing. This is especially important for the ships. See below in the "To Install" for more information. Don't forget to check Geo's page for more WW2 goodies ... there's a lot of stuff that's usable (and used!) here as well.

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST, WW2 NATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER =

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WW2 FORMATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER =

== MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WEAPONS PAK FOR THE WW2 WEAPONS!! ==

It has been tested in SF, WoV and WoE, using their cats pointed to in the main ini. As most of the new objects will be residing directly in the terrain folder, you should have no problems. (see the CombatAce Knowledge Base for the tutorial on using the cat pointer line). It has NOT, however, been tested in post 08 patch WoI or post 08 patch SF/SFG/WoV/WoE; nor has it been tested in the SF2 Series - it is NOT designed for useage in those type of game installs. If you choose to do so, expect NO support from me -- you're on your own. However, it IS usable ... it's just 98.6% ™ of the aircraft are NOT!

As always, it's reccomended that you unzip this package to a temp folder or your desktop to gain access to the rest of this readme.

Follow these instructions herein =EXACTLY= and you should have no problems. It's =HIGHLY= reccomended you read this document completly through before installing this mod. In other words -- read this damn thing, or you'll get yourself in a jam!!!!

Good Hunting!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

ps: like the recent Solomons V3 pak, there are still a few new parked aircraft that are NOT finished yet, and therefore not included (doh!). When and as they are done, expect a VERY small update.

I'm getting CTD's on this one.

I'm getting CTD's on this one.

more details, please. like, what does the error message say (you know, the 'tell M$ what just happened, and the hyperlink 'click here'. may list a dll)

Also, which game, which patch level, etc. Because it works fine for me (06 only!)

wrench

kevin stein

I get a "WOE has experienced an error and must close"

my PTO install patched to 06.

other terrains work fine.

again, I must repeat what's above:

more details, please. like, what does the error message say (you know, the 'tell M$ what just happened, and the hyperlink 'click here'. may list a dll)

the message will read "click here to see what this error report contains". It's critical to see WHICH dll has the problem (if I's a betting man, it'll be 'aircraftformation.dll', which means you need to 'fix' the statements in the nations.ini for "Japanese Empire", as outlined further down in the readme)

wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, your latest terrain is super :yikes: , but I have a bug - a single one. All my planes wich operates from SMALL size bases crashes before take-off. It's the old bug relate to the size bases... It'll get worst when playing a future campaign with carrier-based planes. My install is over SFP1/V8b patched. Any cure, instead changing the DATA.INIs? :dntknw: Another question; how can replace your terrain tiles for the Korea(found here - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=7830)ones? It's only a personal taste. Thanks so much for that!!!! :drinks:

Umm...it's reccomended for 06 level installs ONLY!!! You're on your own for 08 & SF2 installs (as stated in the readme).

As to the base sizes, and formation dll issue, that's covered 'way down near the bottom of the readme. Just for s**ts and grins, I'd double check the MinBaseSize= lines for the fighters, make sure it's SMALL.

Just out of curiosity, are the aircraft that crash, bounce up & down, spin around and explode DAT birds??? That's an issue I've been experiencing with most of the terrains (included the stock desert sometimes) in MTO/PTO. I've mentioned it to Capun once or twice in the past, and nothing has ever been resolved. I'd start checking CG positons, and the landing gear setting; SpringFactor & DampingFactor. Been fighting that for nearly 2 years now....

As to the tiling question (and those aren't really the best choice -- the new Korea tiles by Stary & Brain haven't been released yet and are MUCH closer to Real Life ™). Do you know how to use the Terrain Editor?? As no texture list ini exists for the BN series tiles, you'd need to recreate one from scratch, then try and import the tiles, and probably retile the entire map by hand, one tile at at time. Have fun with that (been there, done that; got the blisters and brain damage to show for it)

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

I get a CTD also. For groundobject.dll.

Got a 06 SFP1 base, with all the ships/tanks that you mention in the readme, installed. CAT pointing correctly and Nations ini edited per your advice.

Still investigating, I must have missed something.

This happens at all mission types, both start on runway/in air. CTD at %80.

Edited by pureblue

Guys, I been fiddling with this for the last several hours ... I can't duplicate the problem. Everyone does have the Okinawa Upgrade I did a year or so back, yes??? Got all the GOs from there, right??? Even the DAT Japanese tanks??? If not, you can replace them with Geo's version, or "SovietTruck" (aka: IJA Truck)

The only thing I can think of, is make a backup of the new targets.ini, "save as" kj_Okinawa_targets.ini. That way, what we're going to do next won't f*** it up too badly.

Then, starting with the various AAA units in particular, the Browning_AAA and IJA_AAA -those DAT one's that you really can't get, do a 'find/replace to something innoccious -- like oildrum1. This'll remove those items from the targets listing.

Then, play some missions and see what's happening.

Other than that, I can't think of a damn thing that's causing it to crap out.

wrench

kevin stein

I'm experimenting. I'll get back to you.

ok, did some troubleshooting.

Using a PTO load built on WOV, it CTD with an error in the groundobject.dll

this occurs using the germany.cat, vietnam.cat and the sf2 desert.cat same result each time.

dropped the terrain into my ETO build, using the sf2 desert.cat. works great (other than dueling Focke Wolfe's over Okinawa....)

just for grins, I dropped the terrain into SF2. Also works great (defending Hiroshima with Migs was interesting....)

so it seems, in my case, something to do with the WOV build that my PTO is built on.

of note, the issue that I've had with some of the PTO terrains where the plane sinks into the runway and explodes does not show up here.

That IS interesting, Typhoid. Oddly, when I tested it with the varying cat pointers, it's in WoE -which is my labratory/game install of choise due to it being MUCH more flexable than WoV's self-limiting inis and dlls. All the Original 3 Terrains ™ are in all my WW2 installs, but all said installs are ALL WoE based.

I wonder if that couldn't be the problem, in your case at least -have to wait to hear what PB says- Perhaps it's time to move your WW2 istnalls to WoE??

OTH, with the "dueling FWs", I'll be happy to whip out a 'What If...' IJAAF skin for it!!

Good to hear that the aircraft 'ain't sunk in the ground no more'.

wrench

kevin stein

Oh :blink: I thought the PTO installs would be based on SFP1. I tried changing the Cat to GermanyCE, but got the same groundobject.dll CTO.

Let me move this thing to a WOE 06 install and report back.

I wonder if that couldn't be the problem, in your case at least -have to wait to hear what PB says- Perhaps it's time to move your WW2 istnalls to WoE??

wrench

kevin stein

definitely under consideration!

just before my latest hard-drive hicup-

set up an SF2 Pacific WWII with my WOV PTO objects and dropped the terrains into it with PCpilot's nice menu screen.

all works perfectly.

haven't got all the guns/weapons set up yet but so far the terrains and planes I tested are working just right. This terrain is sweet in that load.

:good:

Wrench, I just figured out what's wrong with my install. I believe the problem is related to the small airfields. The game starts OK but the planes explodes as soon as the screen appears. It may happens with invisible airfields, I know? May be some editing on Okinawa_targets.INI or someplace else... Am I wrong? :dntknw:

Unfortunately, yes, I think you're wrong. :grin:

What game are you using for you base install??? ...as stated above, I've been using WoE for ALL my WW2 installs, and don't have a problem. WoV WILL give you issues; SF had similiar problems, which is why I dumped SF for WW2 4-5 years ago. Time to switch up methinks.

The invisible airfields work just fine, and only ONE exists on this map, at Lake Biwa. The issue wouldn't/shouldn't be with the airfields (Runway3), but more likely with the aircraft themselves. You'll take note that several Medium Runways (1,6) exist on the Home Islands for IJN/IJAAF bomber usage. Fighters can use anything from small to large.

Also might help to know WHICH aircraft are exploding/dancing a jig or whatever they do before they die

wrench

kevin stein

Flew some long recon missions in SF2E.

There's some artistic work in there, mixing and matching tiles, new textures, recolored tods and buildings, , interesting and rich target areas..

Very creative stuff Kevin, kudos :salute:

thanks brother! some of those tree/forest tgas are from the unfinished Korea terrain (with thanks to Stary or Brain for those!)

you like the 'little single city tile'??

so, it's working ok in SF2??? Strangness beyond weirdness!!

wrench

kevin stein

so, it's working ok in SF2??? Strangness beyond weirdness!!

wrench

kevin stein

as I've pointed out above. I'm building an SF2 WWII load. Works great so far.

hope to check out all of the Pacific terrains and aircraft soon. Still have to work the weapons and guns installs.

I think I may be skipping the WOE WWII load.

Edited by Typhoid