Sign in to follow this  

With people talking about standalone installs for different "mods/theaters" i'm assuming this is SF1?

As an SF2 user is it possible to have multiple installs for different theaters? Or would it just be easier to have multiple thirdwire dir's in my user profile and rename them depending on what i want to fly?

Also are the aircraft currently being worked on for SF1 or 2? I have a few like the westland whirlwind, which is a good mod, but it seems a little weird in SF2. Thanks for the help.

Somewhere in the SF2 Knowledge Base, and of course I forget exactly where, are instructions for creating multiple installs.

As for using NextGen series for WW2 in my opinion, it's a bad idea. As you've already noted with the Whirly, "aircraft fly oddly". Now go fly a P-38H and get to me (actualy STILL needs help even on 06 levels too, and has since it's realease)

Essentially, the SF2 NextGens are 08 patch level sims designed for Vista users. Even the TOS versions at 08 levels have exceptional issues with 98.6% ™ of the WW2 aircraft, hence, those levels NOT being reccomended for WW2 usage.

As I've said several thousand times, until such time as 400+ aircraft (originals and subvariants) have their flight models completely rebuilt to take advantage of the 08 operations, it's a no go. My (in)famous quote is "Do you want to fight the Bad Guys, or your own airplane?"

As it stands now, WoE is my highly reccomended base game to build WW2 era installs, it being the most flexible of all the Original 3 ™. WoI is considered 08 even before the 08 patch, as it introduced 'newer' coding that hosed the FMs for most of the existing WW2 era aircraft. With the 08 patchs, it's even worse.

As most of the original WW2 model creators either don't have the time, have left the community or --well, there's no polite way to say this-- don't care about it anymore (this last statement is just MY impression), it's up to guys like the AvHistory group to try and straighten them out. In some ways it's like trying to empty the ocean with teaspoon. Hell, I don't care if the FM are within 1% -- I'd be happy with 10 or 15%!!!

I can see their point -- everytime a new patch or game comes out, every frakking item in an aircraft's data ini gets changed. So, in essenece, we're stuck with 06 levels, which they were originally built for. Do I WANT things fixed? Hell yess!! All the Vista users of my terrain mods have to turn off the water and terrain fx so their games don't CTD. The more advanced AI will make these prop dogfight MUCH more interesting.

I hope that answers some of your questions

wrench

kevin stein

Best make your response a sticky Wrench, as more folks will be asking as they find out more about propheads forum...

I'm sensing some, shall we say, 'rawness' surrounding this topic? :blink:

:drinks:

Excellent idea, Brandy!

Consider it done. And we'll add tips and trick and other stuff when and and it occurs.

Everyone, feel free to add 'content that moves the thred forward, with informative, enlightning posts and links to related downloads, sites, and other items of interest'

Think that should cover some of it.....

wrench

kevin stein

is this IN SF2 or WoE08, and using the aircraftobject.ini as discussed Friday afternoon???? That sure looks like Wolf's 109G6...along with TK Spit9 and Mustang (easily distinguished by the constantly open radiator shutter)

wrench

kevin stein

SF2

new map or FE2 one imported? My bet's on FE2 seeing Jan Tuma's treework :wink:

I've tried adding FE maps to series1 with less than playable results, have yet to try this in FE2/SF2 generation

new map or FE2 one imported? My bet's on FE2 seeing Jan Tuma's treework :wink:

I've tried adding FE maps to series1 with less than playable results, have yet to try this in FE2/SF2 generation

It's Tuma's FE2 Flanders in my SF2 combined install. What I did was:

Edited the Nations.ini by adding two new nations "Nazi_Germany" and "Fascist_Italy", and set their start and end dates historically. I then created a nations list for the Flanders terrains, adding only the historical antagonists. I then added Wolf's ME-109 G10, with AVHistory's (GregoryP's) FM. Oh, and I also performed the necessary updates to bring Tuma's terrain mod to SF2 standards....

And it works fine for me. I will send this off in a nicely bundled package, for Wrench to beat his head against, errrrr, I meant, for Wrench to exhaustively test :grin:

It's Tuma's FE2 Flanders

Flanders by Edward to be precise IIRC, Tuma's just treemod (important fact: doesn't look quite like France grounds in the period to be honest, but great work he put there :ok: )

edit on important fact:

Not "just treemod" but also full seasonal texture work Jan Tuma created, give him credit, please. It's great work there! :ok:

But... still not France in the period :wink:

Edited by Stary