Sign in to follow this  
Dej

Got any loose change?

I believe the correct quote is:

Please, Father Christmas, if you love me at all

Bring me a nice red India rubber ball

--AA Milne

grin.gif

I'm a bit surprised that such a 1-of-a-kind machine actually has a price in only the low 7-figures. Or that the present owner would sell it at all. Or that anybody in his right mind would still fly the thing. True, dying in a Camel crash is not unprecedented by any means, but that won't get you into Valhalla. These days, it'll get you damned as a literal iconoclast.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would buy that on Saturday. Also, I am surprised by the price as well. You would think a plane as rare as that would fetch more on the market.

Cheers!

Lou

I'm surprized that they're flying it

IMO, when it's the best of the last few, it's the 1 that belongs in a museum

Fly the replicas, 99% won't know the difference

pilotfly.gif

idea.gif According to Vintage Aviation, The Camel they have for sale is 1 of 4 left in the world. It is flyable completely restored to flight status. Full doc s for 10 sgn RFC asking prices 1.6 million - 2.8 million cool.gif If anyone wants to loan me money, I go for the campaion A/C A Repoduction with some org parts frabic, tubeing, compass, ect of a Flyable Fokker Triplane F103/17 minimum starting bid is 130000.00 us dollars rofl.gif As my 1st wive would have said " Dream On ".

I have to admit I'm surprised as well that A) It's flying and B) they are selling it. There are several museums you would think would be fighting over this machine.

Hell, the price they're asking isn't much lower than getting a flyable T-38, and that's not a rare machine at all.

FC

Considering people can pay over 5 million for vintage cars, I'd say the price tag looks pretty cheap.

Mind you, restored to flying condition means there will be a lot of improvements made, and it's less authentic to the original construction than a museum restoration. Even so, I still think that's a good price.

If I had the money...... .......... ........ (be a long long time before I do).

I suspect there's not a single original piece of wood or canvas on that plane, so it's pretty much a replica attatched to the original engine, instruments (probably mostly new components too) and data-plate.

It's the old question...at which point does a restoration change an original to a replica? Whatever, certainly not worth millions of my cash.