Sign in to follow this  
zagnut

Which Mos Would You Pick?

Hey guys, I can pick from some tasty MOS's for my re-enlistment, and I wanted to get the opinion from those who have ARMY background. It's cool if anyone puts thier post in tho. Here's what we got:

Military Police

Radio Operator/ (fixer upper guy)

Medic

SATCOM (this is a 39 week course btw, and it takes forever for a clearance)

those are some of the MOS, here are the units:

992ND TROOP COMMAND LAS VEGAS NV

72D MP CO (-) HENDERSON NV

72D MP CO (-) - DUIC HENDERSON NV

777 EN TM UTILITIES CO (4000) HENDERSON NV

777 EN TM UTILITIES(4000) DUIC HENDERSON NV

1864TH TC CO (MED TRK) HENDERSON NV

440TH SIGNAL COMPANY HENDERSON NV

That's it for my area, anyone know or have info on these units maybe?

Thanks

Zagnut,

Even though I was in the Navy, try Medic. I work in hospital now and I know first hand that we have a severe shortage af Rn, LVN, CNA, Resiptory tech. Any knowledge you gain in the service will have impact on the outside. I wish you well in what ever field you choose. You are doing something that I wish I still could be a part of.

Firehawkordy said it, but I'll re-state it differently though.

What you choose now, will greatly effect the rest of your life in civilian clothes. I've never been in the military, but I have been to college where countless ex- CREW CHIEFS found out that working on real aircraft in the real word meant another 2 years of technical training to get a civilian liscense, The Airframe and Powerplant Certificate.

I'm sure this is also true for the Medical field as RN, LPN, CNA, etc are all civilian certificates that may require additional training above and beyond what the miltary provides.

This may also be true for any field that you obtain.

My advice, in whatever you choose, is to research how it will carry over into the civilian life when you decide to no longer re-enlist (assuming you dont at some time). Choose that MOS wisely, and then make every attempt to work on any civilian certificates of training while you are still in the Armed Forces.

<C>

Fates

Choose that MOS wisely, and then make every attempt to work on any civilian certificates of training while you are still in the Armed Forces.

Exactly, Fates I could not have said it better. Zagnut, Get all the schooling you can,it's free and even if you never use all of it you may be able to teach you kids or grandchildren something one day.

Thanks for your replies. The #1 reason I'm going Guard is because of 100% state school tuition assistance. Second, they have a buttload of 'continuing education' courses that could very well help me find a job. Since I'm going to incorperate a life change into this ie: get my fat ass back in to shape and stay that way; I'm going to eventually shoot for OCS or WOC school. I'd love to be the first in my family to be commisioned since WWI. It's kinda wierd, we had one officer in the Civil War, and one in the first World War, but non since. We've all been mostly a family of Sergeants! I guess we get one officer per century. Thanks again. Any other advice?

Zagnut,

Before you choose a field or service look around and shop. Pick a job that:

1. you will enjoy doing. find a field that peaks your natural curiousity. Doing so will ensure success

2. Dont listen to one recruiters sell job. he will say one thing but when it comes down to it he is going to fulfill the needs of the guard.

3. Get everything in writing. If it isnt in the contract it isnt going to happen.

I have been in the US navy for 15 years now. we also have 100% tuition assistance while on active duty and you can enroll in the GI bill for 40,000 towars college. I pitch navy first because we have the best technical traiing of any service. I am a master avionics instructor here in virginia. My courses hold a higher accredidation than any other service.

The last peice of advice I can give you is to not join the guard and stay home. Join a regular branch and do your first tour away from home. it will help you mature in many ways. Then if you are not happy after the first enlistment then go reserves.

Gator

Thanks for the info Gator, but I've already been in 2 branches of the service!

I started in the Army and switched to the Marine Corps in the late 90's. The Mos's listed are the only ones that I'm interested in. I originally wanted active duty, but I had to compromise with my Wife-to-be, and re-enlisting would be simpler done right there in the rec office that at MEPS. I walked in and asked the recruiter what was open and went from there. My MGIB had run out, not that you mentioned it, but the other reason for the Guard is that they feed into state run Gov. jobs, which seems the only option out here in Vegas unless you're a union person.