Sign in to follow this  
NS13Jarhead

OT-Red Baron 3D

I just got my GOG.com e-newsletter and the frontpage banner says that they have what they're calling "Red Baron Pack" on sale for $9.99 (US). It includes Red Baron 1, Red Baron: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D. It is fully WinXP and Vista (32 & 64 bit) compatable, with no DRM. The ad didn't say anything about it, so I don't think that the graphics have been upgraded beyond the original versions.

From what I understand, there are a few folks on here who had something to do with making a mod or two for RB3D, just like they did with OFF for CFS3. It might be interesting to see where they got their inspiration.

I just got my GOG.com e-newsletter and the frontpage banner says that they have what they're calling "Red Baron Pack" on sale for $9.99 (US). It includes Red Baron 1, Red Baron: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D. It is fully WinXP and Vista (32 & 64 bit) compatable, with no DRM. The ad didn't say anything about it, so I don't think that the graphics have been upgraded beyond the original versions.

From what I understand, there are a few folks on here who had something to do with making a mod or two for RB3D, just like they did with OFF for CFS3. It might be interesting to see where they got their inspiration.

Hi, JD, can you supply a link to the ad?

Thanks,

Inspiration for Hell's Angels? Well... booze... insanity... Shred... and DeltaK calling my patch no more than my 'simpatch' folder... LOL!

Seriously... I did it because I hated all the single patches you had to load in order to make RB3D look half-way decent. From there, it mushroomed into my own Homebrew patch and honed my love and interest in WWI. From there, Hell's Angels.. and it grew larger and larger. But without key helpers like Shredward, Rabu, Capt Royce, Zintek, Greybeard, DeltaK, and the rest of the SWWISA boys.... HASP would have remained no more than my simpatch folder.

OvS

I've sent an email to GOG Support inquiring about the XP/Vista compatibility regarding RB + Misson Editor. I'm trying to find out if it has to be run under Dosbox or if it's a direct install. I couldn't find any info at Mad Otter's site. I found another oldie but goodie on another website that was also XP compatible, but it was under DB emulator: not exactly truthful.

I'll post when GOG responds. This might be worthwhile.

plug_nickel (Al)

Got a response from GOG Support:

"From: support@gog.com

Hello,

The first one uses DOSBox and the second one kindly succumbed to our magical tricks. ;]"

Just as I thought.

plug_nickel (Al)

Here something from wings of valor forum:

I contacted Mad Otter regarding offering a download on WoV and they sent me this back. From a business perspective, they need to generate capital to do some serious work. This really is a good thing for everyone.

We are going to re-release a pack with the original (non-modded) versions of Red Baron, Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D. I don't think it will be of much interest to the RB community since you all have better, patched, heavily patched/enhanced versions. It's more for a newer audience of a new generation of gamers that missed these "retro" games when they were released. I just wanted to let you know about it.

I'd still like to find a way to either:

* release an enhanced version of RB3D, with unified patches and mods, or ideally

* release a completely updated version with a modern engine, graphics, art, networking, distribution, but of course this is expensive

Keep your head up

--------------------

Viperx

Wings of Valor

Well, I'm sure some of you had heard that the rights to the RedBaron engine had been bought by Damon Sly's (SP?) (originator of the RedBaron series) game "company" several months ago and that they had plans to resurrect it.. I didn't quite understand what they planed to do with a 20+ year old computer sim relic when I first heard the news, but now I see it's just a $$ making venture using the notority of RedBaron to republish these old, out of date, RB games. See the link at his new "Mad Otter Games" company in league with COG.

After ther original success with RedBaron dos, the pressure from Sierra must have been horrific to produce RedBaron II for the benefit of the company stock holders and it was obvious from the first release how bad it was. And RedBaron 3d wasn't that much of an improvement except for the step up in graphics quality.. I think it's all sort of depressing. The only redeming action was the efforts by the modding community to put it all together and end up with quality products, within the limitaions of the game, like Hell's Angels group effort that OVS mentioned above, thanks agin, Otto. :good: