Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

OT - Victoria Cross Citations - WOW!

Copied withoput alteration from the London Gazette Third Supplement, Tuesday 30th April 1918:

Victoria Cross Citations:

"Lt Alan Jerrard, Royal Air Force (formerly of the South Staffordshire Regiment).

When on an offensive patrol with two other officers he attacked five enemy aeroplanes and shot one down in flames, following it down to within one hundred feet of the ground.

He then attacked an enemy aerodrome from a height of only fifty feet from the ground, and, engaging single-handed some nineteen machines, which were either landing or attempting to take off, succeeded in destroying one of them, which crashed on the aerodrome. A large number of machines then attacked him, and whilst thus fully occupied he observed that one of the pilots of his patrol was in difficulties. He went immediately to his assistance, regardless of his own personal safety, and destroyed a third enemy machine.

Fresh enemy aeroplanes continued to rise from the aerodrome, which he attacked one after another, and only retreated, still engaged with five enemy machines, when ordered to do so by his patrol leader. Although apparently wounded, this very gallant officer turned repeatedly, and attacked single-handed the pursuing machines, until he was eventually overwhelmed by numbers and driven to the ground.

Lt Jerrard had greatly distinguished himself on four previous occasions, within a period of twenty-three days, in destroying enemy machines, displaying bravery and ability of the very highest order."

Eat your heart out Billy Bishop!

What about THIS one...

"2nd Lieutenant Alan Arnett McLeod, Royal Air Force.

Whilst flying with his observer (Lt. A. W. Hammond, M.C.), attacking hostile formations by bombs and machine-gun fire, he was assailed at a height of 5,000 feet by eight enemy triplanes, which dived at him from all directions, firing from their front guns. By skilful manoeuvring he enabled his observer to fire bursts at each machine in turn, shooting three of them down out of control. By this time, Lt. McLeod had received five wounds, and whilst continuing the engagement a bullet penetrated his petrol tank and set the machine on fire.

He then climbed out onto the left bottom plane, controlling his machine from the side of the fuselage, and by side-slipping steeply kept the flames to one side, thus enabling the observer to continue firing until the ground was reached.

The observer had been wounded six times when the machine crashed in "No Man's Land", and 2nd Lt McLeod, notwithstanding his own wounds, dragged him away from the burning wreckage at great personal risk from heavy machine-gun fire from the enemy's lines. This very gallant pilot was again wounded by a bomb whilst engaged in this act of rescue, but he persevered until he had placed Lt. Hammond in comparative safety, before falling himself from exhaustion and loss of blood."

Astounding courage and doggedness.

Salute.gifSalute.gifSalute.gifSalute.gifSalute.gif

I dare say both those chaps deserved their awards.

Edited by Check Six

Amazing. I read these accounts in the award write-ups of WWI and always wonder what the individuals were feeling and thinking at the time. I also wonder what I would have done in the situation. A man's mettle is only truly tested in such fiery baptisms as these.

Yes, the second one was always my favourite read in the book about MvR by Peter Kilduff.

Foe the first one:

Which airfield did he attack?

Which craft did he fight?

I could imagine very good, how the crew on the ground got really mad about him, and, despite the

danger of a scramble, climbed their crates to get that "bastard" down.

He must have been born under the influence of Mars.

Incredible feats of Bravery!.... I can only wonder whether I could have done such things!... I suspect not!!...But the fact I have never been called upon to do so, is a constant source of Lucky Star thanking!!!! :drinks:

"He then climbed out onto the left bottom plane, controlling his machine from the side of the fuselage, and by side-slipping steeply kept the flames to one side, thus enabling the observer to continue firing until the ground was reached."

Huh!!!??!! Salute.gif Great Respect, the man just didn´t want to die that day! Amazing indeed! itifonhom.

"He then climbed out onto the left bottom plane, controlling his machine from the side of the fuselage, and by side-slipping steeply kept the flames to one side, thus enabling the observer to continue firing until the ground was reached."

Huh!!!??!! Salute.gif Great Respect, the man just didn´t want to die that day! Amazing indeed! itifonhom.

Respect indeed itifonhom...but you neglected to highlight he did this AFTER he had been wounded FIVE times! And he did this so his observer, who had been wounded SIX times could continue firing on the enemy!!!!!

I suspect I would have gone home. As you say...that pair weren't going top die that day.

Good Lord! Reading an account like that, especially the second, makes you wonder if even a VC is enough!

Salute to these incredibly gallant and brave men!

Yes, the second one was always my favourite read in the book about MvR by Peter Kilduff.

Foe the first one:

Which airfield did he attack?

Which craft did he fight?

I could imagine very good, how the crew on the ground got really mad about him, and, despite the

danger of a scramble, climbed their crates to get that "bastard" down.

He must have been born under the influence of Mars.

Olham,

I got this from "the Aerodrome"...

For his actions on 30 March 1918, he was credited with three victories for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross. On that day, Peter Carpenter and Harold Eycott-Martin accompanied Jerrard on his last patrol of the war. After engaging several Albatros scouts and attacking the Austro-Hungarian aerodrome at Mansue, Jerrard's Sopwith Camel was shot down by Benno Fiala von Fernbrugg of Flik 51J. Jerrard was captured but managed to escape several months later.

When the war ended, Jerrard remained in the Royal Air Force, served in North Russia, and retired as a Flight Lieutenant in 1933.

I love reading stuff like that. Especially when the language is so concise but tells you everything.

My favourite VC is Major Robert Cain's while surrounded at Arnhem facing everything from snipers to Tiger tanks. What strikes me most is sometimes bravery just happens as circumstances unfold, but Major Cain had every occassion to think about what he was doing. His bravery extended over several days, but he never took a backward step, always thinking about his men before himself. All the more extraordinary was that Major Cain survived the war, but yet his daughter never even knew about his VC until after his death, and that kind of says it all.

My next favourite VC, and I'd have to research for his name, was a Gurka, who was covering his mates from attack by the Japanese. With his machine gun, he held off the attack, not only to save his mates, but to hold the whole position. When relieved, he had injuries so bad that he lost both legs, an arm and if I remember correctly, the sight in one eye. He had kept firing regardless, and after the action, the bodies of something like 38 enemy soldiers were found in front of his position. I'm sure he survived to a ripe old age too.

Those VC's don't come cheap.

When they're postumous, as they very often are, in spite of the heroism, or rather because of it, I'm always struck by the hollowing waste of such a fine human being.

Edited by Flyby PC

Truly awe inspiring acts of heroism and just sheer perseverance

Lt Mcleod was truly amazing

Crashing his machine whilst outside the fusalage

And still getting up and helping his gunner

A medal, even the VC, truly isn't enough

Truly awe inspiring acts of heroism and just sheer perseverance

Lt Mcleod was truly amazing

Crashing his machine whilst outside the fusalage

And still getting up and helping his gunner

A medal, even the VC, truly isn't enough

McLeod received his VC at Buckingham Palace on 4 September 1918 and returned to Canada to continue his recuperation. Unfortunately he fell prey to Spanish Influenza and died on 6 November 1918.

A very very sad end to a brave brave man.

McLeod received his VC at Buckingham Palace on 4 September 1918 and returned to Canada to continue his recuperation. Unfortunately he fell prey to Spanish Influenza and died on 6 November 1918.

A very very sad end to a brave brave man.

Doesn't seem right!

We all will leave this world someday

But it would be nice to have had McLeod around to share his wisdom

Spansh Flu was a hideous killer

Killed about twice as many as died in the war

I help my Father place flags on veteran's graves

Several WWI markers state "Buried at Sea"

Most likely victims of the Spanish Flu

Troopships were notorious for their Flu outbreaks

this sounds very cynical...

but the most impressive Victoria Cross citations I've read have generally been about aviators. I read through most of the VC citations in 1915 and nearly every single one of them involved rescuing a wounded CO. I mean, that's all well and good-- but over half of them seemed to be some impoverished bullet-catcher grabbing some wounded guy with a commission and taking him to safety.

but I guess it doesn't help that the first VC citation I read was for McLeod

Just a little tid bit that I would venture to say that 99.9% of Canadians don't know, and I am sure only a history nut like like my self would ever

venture to look for out of interest and or curiosity.

3 people from the same street in the same city earning the same medal and having the street renamed in their honour. Here is a link:

http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10192

this sounds very cynical...

but the most impressive Victoria Cross citations I've read have generally been about aviators. I read through most of the VC citations in 1915 and nearly every single one of them involved rescuing a wounded CO. I mean, that's all well and good-- but over half of them seemed to be some impoverished bullet-catcher grabbing some wounded guy with a commission and taking him to safety.

but I guess it doesn't help that the first VC citation I read was for McLeod

Major Robert Henry Cain V.C. - http://en.wikipedia....bert_Henry_Cain

Tiger Tanks 0 - Para with a PIAT 6

Edit - The Citation.

"War Office, 2nd November, 1944.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve awards of the VICTORIA CROSS to: —

Captain (temporary Major) Robert Henry Cain (129484), The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, (attd. The South Staffordshire Regiment) (I Airborne Division) (Salcombe, Devon).

In Holland on 19th September, 1944, Major Cain was commanding a rifle company of the South Staffordshire Regiment during the Battle of Arnhem when his company was cut off from the rest of the battalion and during the next six days was closely engaged with enemy tanks, self-propelled guns and infantry. The Germans made repeated attempts to break into the company position by infiltration and had they succeeded in doing so the whole situation of the Airborne Troops would have been jeopardised.

Major Cain, by his outstanding devotion to duty and remarkable powers of leadership, was to a large extent personally responsible for saving a vital sector from falling into the hands of the enemy.

On 20th September a Tiger tank approached the area held by his company and Major Cain went out alone to deal with it armed with a Piat. Taking up a position he held his fire until the tank was only 20 yards away when he opened up. The tank immediately halted and turned its guns on him, shooting away a corner of the house near where this officer was lying. Although wounded by machine gun bullets and falling masonry, Major Cain continued firing until he had scored several direct hits, immobilised the tank and supervised the bringing up of a 7.5 mm. howitzer which completely destroyed it. Only then would he consent to have his wounds dressed.

In the next morning this officer drove off three more tanks by the fearless use of his Piat, on each occasion leaving cover and taking up position in open ground with complete disregard for his personal safety.

During the following days, Major Cain was everywhere where danger threatened, moving amongst his men and encouraging them by his fearless example to hold out. He refused rest and medical attention in spite of the fact that his hearing had been seriously impaired because of a perforated eardrum and he was suffering from multiple wounds.

On the 25th September the enemy made a concerted attack on Major Cain's position, using self-propelled guns, flame throwers and infantry. By this time the last Piat had been put out of action and Major Cain was armed with only a light 2" mortar. However, by a skilful use of this weapon and his daring leadership of the few men still under his command, he completely demoralized the enemy who, after an engagement lasting more than three hours, withdrew in disorder.

Throughout the whole course of the Battle of Arnhem, Major Cain showed superb gallantry. His powers of endurance and leadership were the admiration of all his fellow officers and stories of his valour were being constantly exchanged amongst the troops. His coolness and courage under incessant fire could not be surpassed."

F"*!g Airborne!

(And a PIAT was universally derided as a hopelessly inadequate piece of crap).

Edited by Flyby PC

An even bigger question is if they survived the war (since most did not), how did they function in regular society.

Some of the most amazing acts of bravery, have a cost unspoken.

I share this from personel experience.