Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: "The Lafayette Flying Corps" by Hall and Nordhoff

Lafayette_Flying_Corps.jpg

For those of you interested in the Lafayette Escadrille this is the definitive work on the subject. If you have never read this outstanding two-volume set written in 1920 by James Hall and Charles Nordhoff, (both former flyers of the Lafayette Flying Corps), you owe it to yourselves to do so. Now, since an original edition such as those shown will run you about $1,500 I am not suggesting you run out and try to find yourselves a set. Even one of the 500 presentation set reprints from 1964 that were done for surviving members and friends and family of deceased members of the Escadrille will likely cost you $300 to $500, and while I am fortunate enough to own one of those sets I know full well even this "lower" price is outside most folks book budget. However, I was poking around this afternoon and discovered both volumes available on Google Books in full scanned PDF format. So I quickly grabbed them, zipped them up, and am posting them here as a download for any of you who would like a first-rate, informative, and exciting read. Here is the link:

The Lafayette Flying Corps

I hope you'll enjoy these as much as I have. I can guarantee you that if you read through both volumes in their entirety you will be a full-fledged expert as concerns the Escadrille Américaine.

Cheers!

Lou

So there would be not the least chance to find these as paperbacks?

Olham, if you could buy them for that opening bid price they would be a bargain! The lowest price for an original set that I have seen sold on auction was $1,300. And to answer your previous question, I'm afraid the only reprint that you will run across will be the 1964 edition I mentioned. These are one of the most sought-after WWI-related printings ever, with their closest rival being the original, massive 9-volume set of "The War In The Air" by Raleigh and Jones. That one will also sell in the $1,500 to $2,000 range, when you can find one for sale that happens to have the two volumes of maps, (there is a reprint of this set as well but does NOT include the maps). This is what the first printing looks like:

war_in_air_books.jpg

I am again very, very fortunate to own the original edition shown of this stellar work, and it is incredible in its depth and scope.

Cheers!

Lou

What a find Lou!Thank you very much for alerting us to this gem.I look forward to hours of pleasure reading the books.Thanks again

You are more than welcome hood. Enjoy Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

No offense intended to anyone but, God Bless you Lou. For not only finding but also sharing the link. I'll be reading those. I have a copy of "Falcon's of France" I have not read it yet.

Lou, you CAN buy them for that price; it's a "buy immediately" price.

Who strikes, gets them.

Me, I have to build my new rig (almost got everything together at last).

Wow Olham, that's a heck of a deal then, and they appear to still be in sound condition. Someone should snap those up for their own WWI library.

Rickitycrate, right back at you. smile.gif And I think you are going to enjoy reading those two volumes Sir.

BTW, I have another 15 to 20 Great Air War related books in full scan PDF format collected together and will be adding a few more to them and post a second zip download for the lot at some point in the not-too-distant future. But I'm betting most folks have barely scratched the surface of the first set I put together. wink.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, you CAN buy them for that price; it's a "buy immediately" price.

Who strikes, gets them.

Me, I have to build my new rig (almost got everything together at last).

Well it looks like you will be able to transfer your pilots Files when you have the new pc ready. I am happy for your coming upgrade. :drinks:

Thank you Lou. I had never even heard of these books. I'm snagging the zip file now and I greatly look forward to reading these in my spare time. Thanks again!