Sign in to follow this  
Zurawski

Marine Stake-out in Afghanistan

Don't know if this is typical internet/email tripe, but it was a good read all the same...

> Marine stakeout

>

> Here is a U. S. Marine who is not afraid to tell it like it is.

> Political correctness doesn't mean beans to this tough young

> warrior......

>

> It's freezing here. I'm sitting on hard, cold dirt between rocks and

> shrubs at the base of the Hindu Kush Mountains along the Dar 'yoi Pomir

> River watching a hole that leads to a tunnel that leads to a cave. Stake

> out, my friend, and no pizza delivery for thousands of miles.

>

> I also glance at the area around my ass every ten to fifteen seconds to

> avoid another scorpion sting. I've actually given up battling the

> chiggers and sand fleas, but them scorpions give a jolt like a cattle

> prod. Hurts like a bastard. The antidote tastes like transmission fluid,

> but God bless the Marine Corps for the five vials of it in my pack.

>

> The one truth the Taliban cannot escape is that, believe it or not, they

> are human beings, which means they have to eat food and drink water.

>

> That requires couriers, and that's where an old bounty hunter like me

> comes in handy. I track the couriers, locate the tunnel entrances and

> storage facilities, type the info into the hand held and shoot the

> coordinates up to the satellite link that tells the air commanders where

> to drop the hardware. We bash some heads for a while; then I track and

> record the new movement.

>

> It's all about intelligence. We haven't even brought in the snipers yet.

>

> These scurrying rats have no idea what they're in for. We are but days

> away from cutting off supply lines and allowing the eradication to

> begin. I dream of bin Laden waking up to find me standing over him with

> my boot on his throat as I spit into his face and plunge my nickel

> plated Bowie knife through his frontal lobe. But you know me; I'm a

> romantic.

>

> I've said it before and I'll say it again: This country blows, man. It's

> not even a country. There are no roads, there's no infrastructure,

> there's no government. This is an inhospitable, rock-pit s**t hole ruled

> by eleventh century warring tribes. There are no jobs here like we know

> jobs.

>

> Afghanistan offers two ways for a man to support his family: join the

> opium trade or join the army. That's it. Those are your options. Oh, I

> forgot, you can also live in a refugee camp and eat plum-sweetened,

> crushed beetle paste and squirt mud like a goose with stomach flu if

> that's your idea of a party. But the smell alone of those 'tent cities

> of the walking dead' is enough to hurl you into the poppy fields to

> cheerfully scrape bulbs for eighteen hours a day. I've been living with

> these Tajiks and Uzbeks and Turkmen and even a couple of Pushtins for

> over a month and a half now, and this much I can say for sure: These

> guys, all of 'em, are Huns...actual, living Huns. They LIVE to fight.

> It's what they do. It's ALL they do. They have no respect for anything,

> not for their families or for each other or for themselves. They claw at

> one another as a way of life. They play polo with dead calves and force

> their five-year-old sons into human cockfights to defend the family

> honor. Huns, roaming packs of savage, heartless beasts who feed on each

> other's barbarism. Cavemen with AK47's.

>

> Then again, maybe I'm just cranky. I'm freezing my ass off on this

> stupid hill because my lap warmer is run ning out of juice and I can't

> re-charge it until the sun comes up in a few hours.

>

> Oh yeah! You like to write letters, right? Do me a favor, write a letter

> to CNN and tell Wolf and Anderson and that awful, sneering, pompous

> Aaron Brown to stop calling the Taliban 'smart.' They are not smart. I

> suggest CNN invest in a dictionary because the word they are looking for

> is 'cunning..' The Taliban are cunning, like jackals and hyenas and

> wolverines. They are sneaky and ruthless and, when confronted, cowardly.

> They are hateful, malevolent parasites who create nothing and destroy

> everything else. Smart... Pfft. Yeah, they're real smart.

>

> They've spent their entire lives reading only one book (and not a very

> good one, as books go) and consider hygiene and indoor plumbing to be

> products of the devil. They're still figuring out how to work a Bic

> lighter. Talking to a Taliban warrior about improving his quality of

> life is like trying to teach an ape how to hold a pen; eventually he

> just gets frustrated and sticks you in the eye with it.

>

> OK, enough. Snuffle will be up soon so I have to get back to my hole.

> Covering my tracks in the snow takes a lot of practice but I'm good at

> it. Please, I tell you and my fellow Americans to turn off the TV sets

> and move on with your lives. The story line you are getting from CNN and

> other news agencies is utter bulls**t and designed not to deliver truth

> but rather to keep you glued to the screen through the commercials. The

> worst thing you guys can do right now is sit around analyzing what we're

> doing over here because you have no idea what we're doing and, really,

> you don't want to know. We've got this one under control. We are your

> military and we are doing what you sent us here to do. You wanna help?

> Buy bonds, America .

>

>

> Saucy Jack - Recon Marine in Afghanistan . Semper Fi.

"...consider hygiene and indoor plumbing to be products of the devil. They're still figuring out how to work a Bic..."

Rule #1 Never talk about the NAVY if you want a boat home. :grin:

But...seriously...."You wanna help? Buy bonds, America."

Wall Street.gov debt paper? I dunno Zur. If you like, czech out the bond scam pulled during WW1 described here by Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC (d. 1940), in his little book War Is A Racket.

~> http://www.warisaracket.com/ (scroll down some)

:

:

CHAPTER THREE

WHO PAYS THE BILLS?

Who provides the profits – these nice little profits of 20, 100, 300, 1,500 and 1,800 per cent? We all pay them – in taxation. We paid the bankers their profits when we bought Liberty Bonds at $100.00 and sold them back at $84 or $86 to the bankers. These bankers collected $100 plus. It was a simple manipulation. The bankers control the security marts. It was easy for them to depress the price of these bonds. Then all of us – the people – got frightened and sold the bonds at $84 or $86. The bankers bought them. Then these same bankers stimulated a boom and government bonds went to par – and above. Then the bankers collected their profits.

But the soldier pays the biggest part of the bill.

:

:

Then, the most crowning insolence of all – he was virtually blackjacked into paying for his own ammunition, clothing, and food by being made to buy Liberty Bonds. Most soldiers got no money at all on pay days.

We made them buy Liberty Bonds at $100 and then we bought them back – when they came back from the war and couldn't find work – at $84 and $86. And the soldiers bought about $2,000,000,000 worth of these bonds!

:

Rule #2 NEVER mess with a guy named Smedley. :no: Its nearing 100 years later, and there's nothing new under the SF Sun. Here is a more current view on the fat cats back home by Fred Reed USMC Vietnam.

Why then is he [..Gates..] so angry at having the war photographed? Easy: Spin control. Spin is so very important in war these days. While America is only barely a democracy, still, if the public, the great sleeping acquiescent ignorant beast, ever gets really upset, the war ends. The Pentagon is acutely aware of this. It remembers its disaster in Asia. The generals of today learned nothing military from Vietnam—they are fighting the same kind of war as stupidly as before—but they learned something more important: Their most dangerous enemy is the America public. You. Me. Defeating the Taliban isn’t particularly important, or even desirable. (No war means fewer promotions and fewer contracts). But while the Taliban cannot possibly defeat the Pentagon, the American public can. ( :good: )

Killing America's Kids ~ http://www.fredoneverything.net/Gates.shtml

Czech out Joe Haldeman's Forever War sci-fi. Most wonderfully written novel I ever read...with, naturally, the *best* book cover (original edition, although that had parts cut).

Seriously, I still don't know why directly after 9/11, Bush didn't push the little red button and turned Afghanistan as a whole into a nuclear desert... Now THAT would've been sending countries harboring terrorists a message!! I bet even the russians wouldn't mind, lol... And don't tell me that "oh but the U.S. needed a sand box to play with their new weapon toys"... they still had Iraq to do that... oh well, just my politically incorrect 0.02$s

OOOHRAAAH jarheads,Tell it like it is. :salute:

I have a feeling that the Silent Majority is not going to be silent much longer.

We have had 2 violent revolutions in the history of this country.

We have had hundreds in the voting booth.

Seriously, I still don't know why directly after 9/11, Bush didn't push the little red button and turned Afghanistan as a whole into a nuclear desert...

Well, I was pretty impressed with how it was done conventionally using local forces. Everybody here was waiting and waiting and waaaiiiiting for a post-911Massacre response, and then BAM one day it starts and Talibaners were rolled up, snap just like that, or so it seemed at the time. The offensive took a few months to prepare I suppose. Perfect. Just amatuer guessing here. But since then...what happened? Somebody poasted (somewhere) the other day basically...

Afgan- 2009 - 2001 = 8

Viet-- 1973 - 1965 = 8

8 years!

Zur, I dunno. The only thing I figure is that email or such would pass the censors. Post-retirement Smedley would not lol. I get hung on seeing advice that makes people dependent on debt bonds as jobs are being lost while banks get bailed out. They are bailing out the homebuilders now.

banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Well, I was pretty impressed with how it was done conventionally using local forces. Everybody here was waiting and waiting and waaaiiiiting for a post-911Massacre response, and then BAM one day it starts and Talibaners were rolled up, snap just like that, or so it seemed at the time. The offensive took a few months to prepare I suppose. Perfect. Just amatuer guessing here. But since then...what happened? Somebody poasted (somewhere) the other day basically...

Afgan- 2009 - 2001 = 8

Viet-- 1973 - 1965 = 8

8 years!

Zur, I dunno. The only thing I figure is that email or such would pass the censors. Post-retirement Smedley would not lol. I get hung on seeing advice that makes people dependent on debt bonds as jobs are being lost while banks get bailed out. They are bailing out the homebuilders now.

banghead.gifbanghead.gif

What do you mean with rolled up snap like that? They're still there!!! I was anything but impressed - guess one military doesn't learn from another's mistake. Everybody this side of the iron curtain was smirking I bet back in the end of the eighties when the sovs pulled out of Afghanistan, saying it was their Vietnam. Now NATO is stuck in that hell-hole... And I bet the russians aren't smiling about this blunder... those that were there must be wondering what will be considered a "victory" that would enable foreign forces to leave that country, since Hillary Clinton already stated that the U.S. aren't planning on staying there forever - and I bet they'll be the last to leave. IF the little red button HAD been pushed, not one more single american life would've been lost there- simply because those unlucky to have survived the nuclear deluge wouldn't be in any condition to fight, I guess...

Afgan- 2009 - 2001 = 8

Viet-- 1973 - 1965 = 8

8 years!

banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Are you seriously comparing Afghanistan to Vietnam? I hope not.. just some simple fact added to "8 years" reveals how different those 8 years are.. American casualties in Vietnam, at the least count 58,000. Since 2001 in Afghanistan, less than 1000 Americans have lost their lives, in total, the whole coalition have lost almost 7,000 (mostly Afghans fighting for the coalition). I think it's easy to see how repugnant it is to hear people refer to this conflict as another Vietnam. Really, it is no comparison, it's like comparing your last dose of flu to cancer or aids and kind of insulting to the best part of 60,000 American lives lost in both wars to insinuate that this was in any way down to some bankers conspiracy to make money.

I dunno. It seemed the Taliban were near beaten after the first offensive back in 2001, when the Media.gov indicates "we won" then everybody back home goes back to sleep, tunes it all out (the public).

Are you seriously comparing Afghanistan to Vietnam?

No. People who have been to those places are seriously comparing Afghanistan to Vietnam. I only know about the financial system destroying America from the inside. Its my field of study lets say. Lord knows what Wall Street is doing to the lesser nations out there. I can see your point about the Afghan War being smaller in scale, number wise, than the Vietnam War. Agreed on that.

GwynO::

...kind of insulting to the best part of 60,000 American lives lost in both wars to insinuate that this was in any way down to some bankers conspiracy to make money.

Friendly tip: Never mess with any dude named Smedley.

:no:

No need for conspiracies. Its all out in the open, and we all bought into it -- you know -- our credit lines and our house flipping and all that. Every one of us are "the bankers" in some respect. I'll leave off with another ignored old timer: Pres Eisenhower's and his farewell speech, 1961. Emphasis on "disastrous...."

:

:

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

:

:

~ http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/~hst306/documents/indust.html