aside from the obvious that armor add protection levels, I'm a bit curious about a few things.

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=STEEL

Armor[FRONT].Thickness=100

Armor[REAR].Thickness=100

Armor

.Thickness=100

Armor

.Thickness=100

Armor[TOP].Thickness=100

Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=100

1. what is the maximum limit for armor?

2. for the armor material, what other kinds are there? and is there a way to find the .INI files on the armor?

Guest Eject

aside from the obvious that armor add protection levels, I'm a bit curious about a few things.

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=STEEL

Armor[FRONT].Thickness=100

Armor[REAR].Thickness=100

Armor

.Thickness=100

Armor

.Thickness=100

Armor[TOP].Thickness=100

Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=100

1. what is the maximum limit for armor?

2. for the armor material, what other kinds are there? and is there a way to find the .INI files on the armor?

Hi, I am a new guy here but have learned quite a lot re mod. I once tried to enhance the armor of my Arab Nations F-16s, yet -- I must say the truth -- I found it (the small mod on armor) to be useless. Secondly, as I knew it the armor of perhaps the entire flyable planes (I am speaking of the MODERN era at least of WW2 era) are made of allumminum (ah! misspell) not steel. Whatever, as they are useless, because they will not withstand our enemies 20-, 23-, or 30mm cal. cannons. The other day while flying my Su-27 TNI-AU Indonesia, all my IRM and AHM were exhausted (12 kills!), and dong a hot pursuit of a fleeing F-16 Falcon belonged to some USAF or NATO nation. He was more than 20Kms away, but I was doing more than 1200 kms/hour. My cannon is 30mm cal

When the F-16 was within my shooting range, i.e., less than 1Km away, I smashed it to bits that perhaps the fighter did not even realize he was very dead.:grin: So, his armor were totally useless v my 30mm cal. cannon (six burst per click).

I believe senior modders here can really help u with the issue.

Opps, forgot this: re thickness, the max I believe to be 20mm thick. Try 30mm as I did on my F-16. Still, they will not protect us from the enemies cannons. The armor should be made of KEVLAR, lighter and much stronger.

Lastly, some two months ago a senior modder wrote regarding this very issue, ARMOR, which, according to him, as I said above, useless in dogfighting.

Edited by Eject

Can't say that I'm an experienced modder.. but Eject pretty much nailed it on the head...

Armor Classes:

WOOD

GLASS

ALLUMINIUM

STEEL

TITANIUM

Adding armor, iirc, does NOT affect aircraft performance, Meaning, (again, iirc) the Game Engine ™ dosen't "see" the additional weight.

as to upper limits, I'd guess that with all things 3rd Wire, it's probably 9999.9. Take a look at the various battleships data ini, or it particular the Abrams from the ODS mod ... I know for a fact it was given TITANIUM (as we don't have CHOBHAM as a selection), and it take 3-4 direct hits from a T-72 to kill one

There used to be a comparison chart, either here or at the 3rd Wire site that gave comparative thickness; meaning:

A mm of Wood is equal to B mm of Glass, C mm of Glass is equal to D mm of Aluminium, E mm of Aliminium is equal to F mm of Steel, G mm of Steel in equal to H mm of Titainum.

SWAG example, and not to taken literaly, just a sample exmaple: 30mm of Titanium would be equal to 3000mm of Wood. Of course, I don't remember if it's a log function or not (1x, 10x, 100x)

guess I'll have to see if I can find that chart, and post it in the KB

Also, do a search of the archives, I remember some lloooong years ago, this very discussion

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for the advice. I'm just adding armor so it at least increase some sort of resistance to missiles.

Gets really annoying when I die each time i get hit by an R-77 from the rear and die without even a chance to bail out. and especially in campaign, pilots who became aces last mission will always die the next one. Just adding armor to increase survival rates.

StructuralFactor=X.X helps waay more than adding armour. I just add it to nose and/or fuselage to avoid "one hit fireball" effect. Just don't over-do it or you will get kryptonite airplane 1.5 up to 2.0 should be quite enough.

With this killing a plane with one missile is still easy enough, same goes for guns, it just will not explode like mentos in a coke :grin:

You will get de-wing, plane fire, controls shot off, and stuff like that, even in some extreme cases you will get a fireball but quite rare(head-on full speed hit with AiM-54 for example)

Anyway all stock planes have so just follow their guidance and you can't miss :good:

Guest Eject

Thanks for the advice. I'm just adding armor so it at least increase some sort of resistance to missiles.

Gets really annoying when I die each time i get hit by an R-77 from the rear and die without even a chance to bail out. and especially in campaign, pilots who became aces last mission will always die the next one. Just adding armor to increase survival rates.

I have just searched in vain the previous brief post re the uselessness of (cockpit) armors. So many results from my search armor. Perhaps this one can be a bit help http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=11832&view=findpost&p=52001&hl=armor&fromsearch=1

Thanks for the help. I'm happy to say that KIA rates have reduced significantly. Although there will be the occasional MIA or POW, those are more than acceptable.

Guest Eject

Thanks for the help. I'm happy to say that KIA rates have reduced significantly. Although there will be the occasional MIA or POW, those are more than acceptable.

Good! Why not let ur pilot wear large caliber cannon ammos vest made of Kevalr heh? hahaha....nice weekend.

Btw, I once increased the value of my certain ECM to 100, next 200! They are effective only to silence the warning sound of being targetted by land-based missiles A QWELL a deflecting the small missiles from the ground, yet useless still v the AAs or AHMs of the deadly Tomcat of the USN!

So, my way of avoiding being busted by those agile F-16s, TomCats etc, just made a vast barrel-roll while ejecting some of my flares.....and this silly way worked very well. See my screenshots at Gallery if u have the time friend.

Edited by Eject