Dogzero1

SFV2 Air & Ground war graphics help please

Right, lets see if I can get some help.

I have recently purchased SFV2 and I have installed it as a stand alone (even though I have SF2I also).

It is installed in VISTA 32, and its save games folder has been created. I downloaded all the Air and Ground war parts and the tile update. (yes, the SFV2 version).

Now I tried to follow the instructions but straight away ran into a problem. It say in the instructions that if you run the game once it will create a mod folder. Well mine does not create one. So I just made one in the saved games folder. I unpacked all the parts and update and pointed the ini to the mods folder. I also did the bit about the a6 cockpits too. All is well except the cockpits in the a6's are screwed and also the tails. Whats going wrong. I have also updated the game with the latest update from TK.

Here are a couple of pics that show the problem. I have no such problems with the same mod in WOV.

img00012.jpg

img00013.jpg

Thanks all.

Dogzero1:

The fix for the problem with the tails is here:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/50970-vietnam-a4-e-missing-tail-with-viet-gold-mod/page__view__findpost__p__368908

Download the attached file from that post and apply it just like you did the main installation files.

As for the cockpit, I've not seen that problem before. Try applying the tails fix from above, then check the aircraft. If you're still having the cockpit problem, post a screenshot of the contents of your A-6A folder.

Eric Howes

Try these Numbers for the Cockpit.INI of the A-6A.....

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=A-6A_pit.LOD

Offset=-0.004,0.00,0.01

Position=-0.35,2.55,0.74

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

331KillerBee

Thanks for your help, but confused over this: From the tiles update readme:

5. Copy the \Cockpit folder from the \Objects\Aircraft\A-6A directory in your SF2V Mod Folder to the following newly installed directories in your SF2V Mod Folder:

\Objects\Aircraft\EB-66C

\Objects\Aircraft\KA-6D

\Objects\Aircraft\RB-66C

But I open the objects\aircraft\a-6a folder and there is no cockpit folder, just a cockpit ini inside.

Dogzero1:

If you installed the cockpit from the FOTI A-6A correctly with the initial install of the Expansion Pack (see the ReadMe), then you should have a \Cockpit folder in your A-6A, A-6B, EA-6A, and EA-6B directories. If you don't, then the FOTI A-6A cockpit wasn't properly installed.

Again, see the ReadMe for the SF2V Expansion Pack -- Part 2 (Installation), step f:

f) Download the FOTI A-6A from here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=5014

Copy the "cockpit" folder from the .RAR file and drop it into the following sub-directories of the \Aircraft directory in your SF2Vietnam Mod Folder (objects/aircraft):

A-6A

A-6B

EA-6A

EA-6B

Eric Howes

Thanks Eric, thanks all but I give up now. Having spent the best part of 12 hours over the last couple of days trying to get this mod to work I have failed.

I have followed all your instruction to the letter about 6 times. I started with a clean install od SF2V december 24 download already patched(stand alone) and then got it to create a mod folder after playing the game.

I then extracted all four parts of the A&G vers 2 mod to a temp folder. I then transferred all the "to mod folder" files to my new mods folder. I then dowloaded the A6 FOTI plane and did as you instructed, copied the cockpit folder to the relevent A6's etc as decribed in the A&G VERS 2 README File. I tried the game, still no luck, I still have missing tails on some A6's, the refuelling boom stuck in the cockpit of the A6 + A6B intruder. I also have missing tails on the A7's. I then tranferred the Tiles update (A&G VERS 2) to the temp folder and copied this to my mods folder. Again, no change. Just what the eck am I doing wrong? I even tried those decal ini's you posted about.

I wish I had not purchased SF2 V now as I have no problems running WOV at the highest detail levels on my Vista 32 setup.

I am going back to this excellent mod on my WOV installation now. No problems with that and I can still fly my FOTI A6 with joy.

Keep up the good work Eric.

img00001.jpg

img00003.jpg

img00006.jpg

I would just like to point out that this mod is the best and I will carry on with it with my WOV sim. But try as I might, I cant get it to work well in SFV2.

Thanks Eric for the decals RAR file.

That solved the missing tails on all.

I still have the problem of the boom in the cockpit. But it is in the A6 and A6B intruders only. It affects none of the aircraft using the same Cockpit folder from the FOTI download like the eb-66 or ka-6d etc. In fact, I decided to have the complete FOTI intruder in objects folder and even that has a correct cockpit.

I have also tried the altered ini file that was posted earleir in the thread with no joy.

What next Eric?

I am at a loss as to why just the cockpits are corrupted on two aircraft only.

regards

Dogzero1

img00006.jpg

Dogzero1:

Attached is a ZIP with new COCKPIT.INIs for the A-6A and A-6B. Unpack the ZIP and drop the INIs in the appropriate folder (A-6A or A-6B -- the file names will tip you off). This should solve the problem.

I was finally able to test this on my main PC (which has been down for several days). In short, it appears the A-6A LODs have changed such that the old cockpit position no longer worked. I've readjusted the cockpit position and turned off the OpenCockpit=TRUE. The downside is that no longer will you be able to see the BN (co-pilot) from within the cockpit. Too bad, but I am not going to wait for yet another patch to break the new position and have to re-do the thing again.

Why these LODs changed I don't know, but it makes me wonder what else is now broken because of this new patch.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Dogzero1:

Attached is a ZIP with new COCKPIT.INIs for the A-6A and A-6B. Unpack the ZIP and drop the INIs in the appropriate folder (A-6A or A-6B -- the file names will tip you off). This should solve the problem.

I was finally able to test this on my main PC (which has been down for several days). In short, it appears the A-6A LODs have changed such that the old cockpit position no longer worked. I've readjusted the cockpit position and turned off the OpenCockpit=TRUE. The downside is that no longer will you be able to see the BN (co-pilot) from within the cockpit. Too bad, but I am not going to wait for yet another patch to break the new position and have to re-do the thing again.

Why these LODs changed I don't know, but it makes me wonder what else is now broken because of this new patch.

Eric Howes

Thanks Eric. I appreciate your work. It worked a treat. I do sense your frustration. But I am grateful to you and all the other modders. Thank you. Right, I'm off to start Linebacker 2. I have Good Morning Vietnam soundtrack playing in the background, got a beer next to my joystick. Lets kick some VC ass.

Dogzero1................out. :salute::salute:

Dogzero1:

Eric Howes

Hi Eric,

Found some more anomalies. Here is a picture of the F5 Tandem tiger's cockpit. And is their a fix for the clouds and tree problem yet?

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

Dogzero1 out.

sfv2dodgy2.jpg

sfv2dodgy.jpg

DogZero1:

The F-5B cockpit problem is probably similar to the A-6 cockpit issue. I'll look into it.

There is no fix for the trees/clouds problem. As I said in another thread, someone else with more experience with and knowledge of the 3rdWire graphics engine will have to crack that one.

Eric Howes

TK has changed the ordering of the clouds and trees around in recent patches - he suggests putting a higher min altitude for the clouds - maybe in the flightengine.ini

There's definitely something wrong with the position of the F-5B cockpit. It looks like you are about half a meter too far forward.

FC

TK has changed the ordering of the clouds and trees around in recent patches - he suggests putting a higher min altitude for the clouds - maybe in the flightengine.ini

I have been experimenting with min base clouds etc for 4 days. I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter what settings you change reference the clouds, I think its something else. I have none of these problems with the WOV version of this great mod, so back to WOV it is for me.

Here is a pic showing it at its worst and for me its unplayable:

img00005.jpg

img00004.jpg

Dogzero1:

I share your sentiments. If no fix for the clouds/trees issue emerges very soon, I'm simply going to raise the min cloud level in the EnvironmentSystem.ini. You won't get the kind of ominous atmosphere that you do now with broken and overcast weather conditions, but at least you won't see that ugliness.

I don't blame you at all for retreating back to WoV. Once I finish putting together a compatibility pack for Dec 2009, I'll be ripping out my Dec 2009 SF2V install and restoring my Jun 2009b install. Unfortunately, those buying SF2V now (and those who bought the combo back) don't have that option.

EricJ mentioned in another thread that he's seen the same problem with other mods/terrains. If we could document all the mods that are borked by this issue, I think we'd be on strong ground going to TK and asking for some kind of fix.

Eric Howes

Thanks Eric. I feel your frustration too.

I have posted on the relevent topic on the Thirdwire forum about this problem too.

Regards

Dogzero1.......out. :salute:

ps,

Here is the difference.....wow......WOV with your mod looks so much better........at the moment:

eb66good.jpg

Edited by Dogzero1

Was it just temporarily that I saw "square water-tiles" shwowing through the clouds on carrier-approaches (just like the trees) or is this "same kind of bug" as well?

Yeah, that would be cool, if TK would/could supply a general fix to that.........clapping.gif

Oh, and as said before (or elsewhere) the raising of min clouds doesn't sound like a sustainable "solution"...blink.gif

Edited by stingray77

Was it just temporarily that I saw "square water-tiles" shwowing through the clouds on carrier-approaches (just like the trees) or is this "same kind of bug" as well?

Yeah, that would be cool, if TK would/could supply a general fix to that.........clapping.gif

Oh, and as said before (or elsewhere) the raising of min clouds doesn't sound like a sustainable "solution"...blink.gif

It seems like me and thee are the only chaps currently trying to fly this mod in SF2V. :salute: No one else seems to have noticed or commented on the problems. I have posted on the Thirdwire forum now in the hope that TK can come up with a fix.

Dogzero1............out. :drinks:

You could try renaming the particlesystem ini to XXparticlesystem [or summat like], it'll force the sim to use the stock version, you'll loose the widesky effects etc but it certainly has improved the trees thru clouds problem for me.

"Square" tiles around water is something I've not seen in this terrain but in others I have it was cured by using the correct [ie new] .FX entry.

[WaterTextureMaterial]

EffectShaderName=terWaterEffect.fx

We could try that but in that case we lose one of the main eye candy and atmospheric parts of the mod. Nope, it needs a fix from TK. Until then, its best served on a nice bed of WOV. :drinks::salute:

It seems like me and thee are the only chaps currently trying to fly this mod in SF2V. :salute: No one else seems to have noticed or commented on the problems. I have posted on the Thirdwire forum now in the hope that TK can come up with a fix.

Dogzero1............out. :drinks:

Well, I'm flying this mod in SF2V, but I decided to forgo the latest December patch in light of the problems it presents to the mod. In short, if I have to choose between the mod and the patch, I'll go with the mod...

:blowup:

Well, I'm flying this mod in SF2V, but I decided to forgo the latest December patch in light of the problems it presents to the mod. In short, if I have to choose between the mod and the patch, I'll go with the mod...

Good idea, I wish I could do the same. Unfortunetly my version of SFV2 is already patched. :blowup:

:blowup:

Good idea, I wish I could do the same. Unfortunetly my version of SFV2 is already patched. :blowup:

Yeah, I can understand that...Here, chalk this up to an idle observation, nothing more, but I specifically bought SFV2 for that mod, and from my knothole the mods in general really make this sim. I would think it might behoove TK to be responsive to a degree when it comes to conflicts such as this and, if it is in his powers, rectify situations like this to the extent that he can. I realize he's a one man show, I realize he doesn't have unlimited time and resources, and I am grateful for all of the work he has done over the years not just with this series, but EAW and so on. It just seems like there is a symbiotic relationship of sorts between Third Wire and the modders and maybe that should be reflected in quirks that arise as the result of unannounced patches...

Sundowner:

The shader terWaterEffect.fx is already specified in the terrain DATA.INIs.

Eric Howes