Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Wing Commander or X-Wing

I think the Victorious mission is the mission I'm talking bout. If I remember correctly, there was one wave of enemy bombers on right side, in front and left side. The first part was easy -- where you had to pilot a enemy bomber in formation, that was cool.

Falcon

It's been so long since I've played it, that I don't recall the mission you guys are talking about. But what about cheats? Surely there must be some for SL.

It's not an ideal path, but, sometimes mission designers are a little over zealous and it results in that once mission that, for whatever reason, you just can't get past. No sense in letting that ruin the whole game. So I normally just cheat code my way past it, then turn them off and continue playing. In any game.

I think the Victorious mission is the mission I'm talking bout. If I remember correctly, there was one wave of enemy bombers on right side, in front and left side. The first part was easy -- where you had to pilot a enemy bomber in formation, that was cool.

Falcon

The mission with the Victorious is earlier in the game. It begins as a fighter sweep, then you get ambushed by those cloaking russian fighters, while they destroy the Reliant. You are then ordered to defend Victorious. It is a nasty attack as four russian bombers jump in very close to the convoy and fire all their torpedoes and a moment later (when you are fighting the fighters behind the convoy) another wave hits the other side.

If you'd like i send you a pilot profile with this mission completed.

I played (but never really got into) WC 1 and 2 a little bit. The big one was WC3, as mentioned. That was awesome. Especially with Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell, and Tom Wilson...I remember him as Maniac as much as I remember him as Biff Tannen! WC4 wasn't as good a story but it had better graphics and combat, and then WC5/Prohpecy had the worst story, almost none of the characters left, but really good graphics and combat.

I also of course played X Wing, TIE Fighter, X vs TIE, and X Wing Alliance. XWA had the best effects and all, but the mission design wasn't as good as the first 2 games. I did play XvT and XWA online quite a bit in the 90s...remember MS' Zone??

The first Freespace game was quite fun, and I got the expansion for it as well. For some reason I missed/skipped FS2 and never got around to it later, even though I had it installed a couple of years ago with the whole FS2Open thing but I still never played it more than an hour or so. Same with B5:IFH.

So I can't really choose between WC3 and TIE Fighter, or X Wing and WC4, or XWA and WC Prophecy. I'm just a fan of both!

Oh, except the WC film. That was amazingly poor for how good it should have been. Freddie Prinze Jr I guess should've been the clue.

Tie Fighter!

The only WC part I played was WC4 (with loads of CDs :biggrin:)...

The mission with the Victorious is earlier in the game. It begins as a fighter sweep, then you get ambushed by those cloaking russian fighters, while they destroy the Reliant. You are then ordered to defend Victorious. It is a nasty attack as four russian bombers jump in very close to the convoy and fire all their torpedoes and a moment later (when you are fighting the fighters behind the convoy) another wave hits the other side.

If you'd like i send you a pilot profile with this mission completed.

OK we are not thinking the same mission. I'm talking about a 2 part mission. The first part was to sneak in a Soviet fleet that a huge carrier was a target by being in a 4 ship formation of captured Soviet torpedo bombers. This part was easy. The hard part of this was to escape to your carrier in that bomber. If you escaped and landed, the second part was to defend your carrier from a Soviet torpedo attack. The carrier had a Japanese squad, I don't remember my carrier's name unfortunately. Its been a long while since I played it. Anyway that's the mission I'm talking about. I just couldn't beat it.

Falcon

I never could get into the Wing Commander games, it was X-Wing all the way for me, then Tie Fighter and the sequels. I remember shopping at the Virgin Megastore and buying X-Wing and the original SoundBlaster sound card and also picking up a demo disk they were giving out free for a game I'd never heard of...it was called Doom :) The thing with X-Wing was it seemed to get you into the thick of battle quicker than the other space games. There was no farting about looking for the enemy they threw them right at you. I spent a long time fiddling with boot disks to free up EMS and XMS memory in my monster 4mb 486 DX25 with its colossal 214mb HDD :)

A few years at one of the E3 shows I spoke to a guy who worked for Lucasarts and I asked him if there was ever any plan to do a remake of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. He told me it had been discussed but the people at the top thought it would not be financially viable and that they were putting their development money into third and first person type games :(

Edited by Revvin

First space combat sim for the PC was Wing Commander. Pretty basic sim for today's standards, but was a blast to play back then. However, the first space combat game I ever played was R-Type for the Sega Master system. I was hooked on that thing for so long as a kid.

Edited by serverandenforcer