Sign in to follow this  
Winston DoRight

1916 MP grid maps for Vasco's RFC-24 campaign

1916 MP grid maps for Vasco's RFC-24 campaign

Here's the multiplayer grid maps for 1916. You'll need them for Vasco's 24 Squadron RFC campaign starting Jan 10, 2010. A big thanks goes to Red-Dog for developing this and for the previous MP campaign grid map. and yes ODB, there's the required copyright acknowlegement included. Salute.gif

Nice one Winston. It's loaded and ready to roll.Salute.gif

great job winston,,thanks,,,

now,,,request,,,,

could you possibly make it so the grids match up to the 16 maps in the flanders set>

that way, we could quickly tell what map page we need to fumble for when we check our ingame map....

great job winston,,thanks,,,

now,,,request,,,,

could you possibly make it so the grids match up to the 16 maps in the flanders set>

that way, we could quickly tell what map page we need to fumble for when we check our ingame map....

I'm not sure what "16 maps in the flanders set" is. Could you explain that?

here is the link http://forum.combata...s&showfile=8827

and here is the "A" map from the set...

so, as you can see,,,if the size and location of your grids matched up with the maps in the download...a pilot could look at the ingame map, and quickly figure out which printed map he needed to navigate.

gallery_45808_317_568813.jpg

I could put the whole grid on each map, but not part of the grid on each map. That would take a lot of guestimating to do and would be innacurate to say the least. I could try to join all the maps into one, or if you could ask the creator of this if there is already one complete map. Then I could put the entire grid on the one big map. This would then correlate to the OFF ingame map.

wow...i tried taking the full map (yes,,there is one),,,,and incorporating it into the game map,,,and it came out terrible...

the download maps are jpg,,,and when i converted them to bmp, lost so much detail when you zoomed in, the game map was just pixels...not detail..

but ive got one more thing i want to try, so will catch up with you on teamspeak soon and go over it all with you.

I won't be spending much time on teamspeak lately, so you can post here or PM me. Here's what I've done: I joined all the maps, yes it's big! I created grids on the new map that match the ingame map that I made for the campaign in 1916+6. I halved any noticible location differences whan making the new grids so it would match the ingame map as much as possible. I think these new maps of yours are much more accurate than the ingame map. You might be able to bring this into OFF as a period map, but that would take sizing it to match the original map plus skewing it around to match up the cities slightly and than add in the big red front line.

I think this would be a great aid if you took it down to a local graphics shop and had tham print it out in 3' x 3' paper. Even a Kinkos might be able to do this. If you want the full quality version of what I've done, just let me know and I'll get it to you.

post-46040-12629400478917.jpg

Nice job Winston!

However, I think I know what Sitting Duck was requesting and it's more in the manner of the index page of a road atlas to make the in-game horror of a map coincide with these excellent printed maps. The problem for the modder is that although the printed maps are square, they overlap in exactly the same way that each page of a road atlas contains an element of the ajoining maps around the edges so it's easier to find your position when you turn the page. For instance, the town of Amiens appears on 4 of Rabu's maps (Maps I, J, M and N) placing it in one of the corners of the map and showing the terrain to the Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest. The squares on the ingame map therefore would have to overlap to be accurate. All in all a pig of a task and I wouldn't blame you if you ran away screaming into the night!

A reasonable compromise would be to make the squares on the in-game map as large as the area covered by the printed maps (forget the smaller 9-square grid within each square) and place the letter representing the individual printed map squarely in the centre. Furthermore, it would probaly be pefectly acceptable to forget the overlap between the various maps and just make the map grid regular as a rough indication of which printed map to select.

One thing that would certainly help everyone is to amend the basic in-game map to show accurately the position of the major towns by moving those bloody red dots (and changing the colour so that those close to the front don't merge with it) - I've flown over the top of them on the map and found that the town they represent, although still in visual range, lies miles away from the indicated position. The bigest clue to course navigation are the things you can see for miles, not the detail of the terrain directly below you. The biggest aid are lakes as they stand out even close to the horizon but they don't appear on the in-game map at all. Move the posion of the towns and change their colour on the map, add blue dots for lakes and you'll take in-game navigation to a useable level - if you want to. You'd be doing the community a great service if you did.

Vasco :pilotfly:

Edited by Vasco

ahhh,,ok..i see the probelm your talking about vasco....to much overlap.....

ok,,guess it would be just as easy for me to print out Winstons overlay,,,and pencil in what areas on his overlay correspond to the flanders maps....

Duck, put the pencils down and have a go at this. Here's the download link if you want the full quality one for printing: http://drop.io/y4iplny

Sorry that's about all I could do and it's rather cluttered I'm afraid. But at least I think you can quickly look at the ingame map, then a glance at this map will tell you which of your 16 small maps to pick up. and BTW, the original map is 90% too big to use as an ingame map. When you shrink it down to an appropriate size there's no detail left as you already found out.

Vasco, I know what you mean and granted that is exactly what is needed in the ingame map. To add lakes and move the towns to their correct locations would involve vast hours just flying about sketching where they really should be then drawing them onto the existing game map, then re-flying to make sure it's right. Yes, that would be an epic project for someone. heat.gif I don't think I'm young enough to start on it! Perhaps ODB can improve on the ingame maps in the future? I sure hope so.

Winston,

That's great. Thank you.

Vasco :pilotfly:

:pilot:Only Multiplayer Aces Get Confirmed Kills :pilot: