Sign in to follow this  
jtullman

Labels?

Sorry to ask this here 'cause I know its been argued about a million times before on Frugal's but I just can't live without knowing.

Is it really, REALLY lame to play with labels on?

Any suggestions/helpful hints to help a guy break this bad habit?

Considering how impossible it is to make out the ground targets from altitude in the game, I've got no problem with ground target labels. The graphics just aren't good enough to allow for anything "real" there. In air-air missions, your radar and AWACS and wingmen should allow you to leave them off.

In Il-2, for example, I find the labels less necessary because the graphics allow visual detection at a useful range!

Play it how you want - I have never used labels myself - and tbh getting too close the ground is a sure fire way to get shot down so I cant say im in distance anyway often.

I use zoom and trackir for DToss - but often use the LANTIRN or mav view - and sometime padlock

If you feel like labels are the way to go i will sure help you accuracy. I use to use labels, but then chose I wanted to do more realistic flying where there are no labels. Haven't gone back yet. If you want to break the habit, your best bet is to just turn them off and vow never to turn them back on. It may be hard at first, but it gets easier as you fly.

I think it's a kind of self deceit to use such "helpful things".

Well, the graphics could be better, but in real life army vehicles

do not pass by fine red painted on white roads. Try to spot a tank

with camouflage painting while flying 300 kts at 5000 ft. Almost no chance.

My advice, if you want to enjoy the SIM ( not game ) :

- set full realism

- do not just pick a mission and takeoff without some preparation

- use the options the map gives you. click on the map and let display

the current locations of enemy forces ( ground units, factories and so on

and so on ) All these are recon informations coming from AWACS or other

units.

One example for an interdiction run.

1. Let time pass till 10 mins before takeoff and stop it

2. Read briefing that you know about target, threats and cloud altitude

3. Click on the enemy units in your target area, select RECON ( on the map )

You'll see all kind of vehicles and their locations. Memorize landmarks in the

area ( for example units are between airfield and village XY or at the east end

of a runway )

4. Calculate the whole situation ( do you have to kill a SAM-guiding radar first, do you

have to fly in dangerous range of AAA -ZSU, KS19, IR-SAMS (SA7 ... ) )

5. Choose your targets and weapons. If you are going to attack tanks and you can

avoid the range of AAA/SAM then Maverick's are good.

6. Move the target steerpoint over the enemy unit ( map ), other steerpoints should not

lead you through AAA fire !

7. Takeoff, while heading to the target, switch radar off. Use the time to prepare!

Select chaff/flare program - request AWACS picture every now and then, choose AG-mode

( radar off again ! ), MASTER ARM ON, click SMS, choose Mavericks, power ON, uncage each

off them by pressing U-key, then STEP in MFD, and U again, STEP again .... ) till all

seeker heads are free. ( saves a lot of time when attacking )

8. You reach 40 miles to target ( in the best case no enemy aircraft around, AWACS pic clear )

Switch on ground radar, select SNOWPLOW (SP) and check range. Switch to WPM mode and use

the ARROW-KEYS to scan target area ( 40 miles are far away, but you can early find the

area ( between airfield and village or so ) and you know where to search. Within 20 miles you

should find the first targets. Push 0 (zero) and finetune the target, push 0 again. Be

prepared to click OBS 3 ( FOV-EXP ). Now throttle to idle, nose down to targets, AIRBRAKE.

Once the target is in range, fire, click OBS 3, choose next target-push 0-fire and so on. If you

are quick, you do not need to "freeze" and can fire all rifles in one run.

9. Turn immidiatly, AIRBRAKE OFF, full throttle, switch MFD to HSD, find your waypoint home,

select CAT-switch if necessary to CAT1, RADAR OFF

10. Ask AWACS for picture. If there is a threat, climb, select AA-mode and react

11. otherwise climb to 30.000 - 35.000 ft, 100 % throttle and head home

The debriefing should say: 6 rifles-6 hits, EXCELLENT

I think "that is the way having fun with ALLIED FORCE". No labels and no forbidden help.

As kids we used to play "hide and seek". ( 40 years ago !! ) Would it have been fun if you

would have heard " Her I am, catch me !! "

With this in mind, give up the cheats and try to become a genuine F-16 (sim) pilot.

Well written emengency.

That's what we do. Take 3 humans along for the ride each loaded out with mavs and you can almost completely destroy a tank company ( seems like I always miss at least one fueler or truck ).

Hag