Sign in to follow this  
lindr2

MiG-29KUB refueling

nice pics.

Ditto, very nice images. I wonder if the RusAF would allow a cross-flow USAF boom operator. Talk about the mother of all Joint-assignments.

The funny thing is that flying boom operations outside the USAF are relatively rare. There are a few other air forces that do such things, but not many at all. Most seem to be probe and drogue setups...though from what I understand, flying booms ops have the advantage of significantly higher throughputs (approximately double) per connection...good for heavy aircraft (not so much for fighter type-they are limited at the receiver end).

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Of course, I think that's because most nations don't need to refuel anything other than fighters due to the limited radius of their operation. Very few countries refuel heavies in the air.

In fact, am I right in thinking the only country with F-16s that midair refuels other than the US is Israel?

The French AF maintain their boom currencies, despite being probe/drogue only. The Turks and Sings also have KC-135Rs and do refuel using the boom.

I'm fully MPRS and drogue certified, so the ability to chuck out some hoses would be snap. Especially from an Il-78.

-S

Well France has no F-16s, but Turkey and Singapore do, so I guess Israel isn't alone!

Well France has no F-16s, but Turkey and Singapore do, so I guess Israel isn't alone!

you can include venezuela on that.

IIRC they have an 'Kc-137' wich is an Civil Boeing 707 converted to KC with a boom, its very odd, i saw some pics ages ago.

also Iran has an 747 with boom wich is also odd.

OgAAADR2dB-OdSdzmpo-VsBGDBcvyJdi9oCZR0XZL0zUBovSjNAd0mrjaHoZhSBbj6--NHEYCcxdFTUZuXnXStATkbsAm1T1UNvtZdiWDIX2Jh4wT26sldaiksGy.jpg

Edited by Silverbolt

Mig-29's are such gorgeous jets. Thanks for the pics :)

The funny thing is that flying boom operations outside the USAF are relatively rare. There are a few other air forces that do such things, but not many at all. Most seem to be probe and drogue setups...though from what I understand, flying booms ops have the advantage of significantly higher throughputs (approximately double) per connection...good for heavy aircraft (not so much for fighter type-they are limited at the receiver end).

FC

I think there are other reasons. Probe and drogue system can be installed in airplanes where boom can not. At least I can't think of a boom system installed in an Hercules.

Edited by shotdown

Hercs are too small and slow to refuel anything big enough to need the higher flow rate of a boom. They don't carry enough fuel, either. They're tactical refuelers, not strategic.

When it comes to receiving fuel, you can put a probe just as easily as a boom receptacle. However, the problem with drogues is getting a really large plane to hook into it and then getting the fuel over in a timely manner.

Hercs are too small and slow to refuel anything big enough to need the higher flow rate of a boom. They don't carry enough fuel, either. They're tactical refuelers, not strategic.

Most countries don't have strategic planes (heavy bombers, heavy cargo planes...) so I don't think this is a problem. It's like our baby carrier. It's not Nimitz class carrier of course, but it's all our pockets can afford (though even that might become too expensive for us the way our country is going nowadays)

Exactly. That's why the Herc + drogue system is ideal for the tactical fleet most nations have. Even the USMC goes that route.