Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Final verdict on the November09 Patch for SF2E?

Hi all... I browsed the board but can't find any clear conclusions...

I'm very interested in installing the latest patch for SF2 Europe, running Win7 I could use DX10. But I also saw reports on broken items after an "Update" and I'm not sure the GFX improvements would be worth risking technical errors.

My install is quite standard, just some little campaign edits and Argies Highway strips. I don't need any of the other patch improvements, but if the GFX are much improved...?

We are on the Dec patch. :lol:

Concur, I am digging the Dec `09 patch in SF2E.

It is creating a weird triangle in the `pit of my F-15E when Radar is on, but the colored chatter is most acceptable.

Ah, it is good to be back flying jets, instead of tossing spells and slaying dragons...

:ok:

...I'm not sure the GFX improvements would be worth risking technical errors...

Why don't you (before doing ANYTHING else) just save back-up-copies of you game's "install-folder" (C-drive, programs-folder /TW/SF*) and mod folder (your_name/SavedGames/TW/SF...*).

Then you apply the latest patch to the game, run and see what changes you got and if you want to stay there... If so, (and after checking out A LOT) you can delete your back-ups later - OR simply delete the patched version and "roll back" to the old status... Simple as that and all in your own control.

* this is as in Vista - I don't know, whether or how this might be different in W7

Edited by stingray77

Good point. Since it's easy to revert with TWs way of patching... but I'm curious why no one seems to have posted any screens of the DX10 improvements anywhere?

Go look for yourself - for me going with the patch works far better than before with the enbseries applied...

Good point. Since it's easy to revert with TWs way of patching... but I'm curious why no one seems to have posted any screens of the DX10 improvements anywhere?

There are plenty around in the screenshot thread. I am more worried about game play than graphics. The eye candy is nice but I like to bomb s**t and not use the sim for a media outlet. :lol:

Concur, I am digging the Dec `09 patch in SF2E.

It is creating a weird triangle in the `pit of my F-15E when Radar is on, but the colored chatter is most acceptable.

Ah, it is good to be back flying jets, instead of tossing spells and slaying dragons...

ok.gif

Aaron

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/51935-new-f15-cockpit-problem/

Sorry Helmut, I am not trying to hijack your thread.

No worries Dave, I suppose there isn't an "official verdict" anyway and the thread has done it's Job.

Thanks for the pointer to the screenshots thread, but in there it's hard to tell which settings people use, what mods they use, and what is default improvement. I was hoping someone had done some basic DX9 vs. DX10 comparisons, I'm still not even sure what exactly DX10 is supposed to add.

Of course if the patch was guaranteed 100% problem free it'd be a no brainer, but still seeing people with errors... I don't want to have to fix things afterwards.

No worries Dave, I suppose there isn't an "official verdict" anyway and the thread has done it's Job.

Thanks for the pointer to the screenshots thread, but in there it's hard to tell which settings people use, what mods they use, and what is default improvement. I was hoping someone had done some basic DX9 vs. DX10 comparisons, I'm still not even sure what exactly DX10 is supposed to add.

Of course if the patch was guaranteed 100% problem free it'd be a no brainer, but still seeing people with errors... I don't want to have to fix things afterwards.

Its not that fact that patch is causing problems. Its old stuff that needs to be updated to use the features of the new patch. So in the end, its up to the user if they want to update that stuff. For me I only use DX10 and shaders in WOI as I do not add very many mods to it. I keep that install pure. But like my other installs, I force the DX9 and shaders off and use the HDR mod and if you look at my screenshots, they are still nice and I do not have to fix anything.

Here is a screen shot that is using the DX10 stuff

http://forum.combata...post__p__369789

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/33627-screenshot-thread/page__view__findpost__p__372196

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/33627-screenshot-thread/page__view__findpost__p__373138

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/33627-screenshot-thread/page__view__findpost__p__374391

This is probably a stupid question, but, since I have XP, only DX9 installed, and a DX9 (AGP) vid card, but am using Gen2 Dec 09, is the DX10 and Advanced Shader stuff automatically switched off? And if not, would doing so provide me any frames?

This is probably a stupid question, but, since I have XP, only DX9 installed, and a DX9 (AGP) vid card, but am using Gen2 Dec 09, is the DX10 and Advanced Shader stuff automatically switched off? And if not, would doing so provide me any frames?

Since you do not have DX10 the game should automaticly know this and turn it off. Infact i dont even think you can turn it on.

Edited by xclusiv8

Aaron

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/51935-new-f15-cockpit-problem/

Sorry Helmut, I am not trying to hijack your thread.

Thanks, Dave.

Like I said, not quite back up to speed, took a month off.

Will look into it, but I just checked, I do have DX9=TRUE & AdvancedShaders=0, no help.

The moving map and the Radar on cause to triangles.

It's a shame this patch brought up some LOD issues no one was aware of before, but I suppose it happens...