Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

A Real Sad Day In Ramona...

Ive been a member of the Ramona Bilingual Seventh Day Adventist Church for over 5 years. I taught Sabbath school classes for several of those years. One of the kids in my class was a young man by the name of Ramon Ojeda. I remember him as a handsome young man with an engaging grin that came quickly to his face when I'd tell one of my dumb jokes. Yet he always seemed to listen intently to the class subject. I ALWAYS had a good impression of him as a serious lad who was honest and would be a good, responsible adult one day soon. He came from a good family whose father had served in Vietnam whom I count as a freind. I remember all too well one day him and some of his freinds coming up to me and asking me about military service. Everyone knows Im prior service and proud of it. The young men wanted to know what it was like. I told them both sides, that it was the militay and not always easy. I also told them about the benefits to be gained by military service, training, experiance, education, pride...

Ramon got married soon after and both he and his beautiful bride joined the Army. On his second tour, he was sent to Iraq. A few days ago, his convoy was ambushed. Ramon is being hailed as being one of the first to return fire with the .50 mounted on his truck and allowing several other men to fall back to safer fighting positions. In the course of his action, Ramon was killed. He was 22. Tommorrow is his service and Ill be there. We will take him to lay him to rest with the other heroes at Fort Rosecrans Nat'l Military cemetary, which has a fine view of the Pacific Ocean beyond the inumerable rows of crosses. Its not the first funeral Ive attended, but God how I hope its the last. Im gonna miss Ramon, he was a good God fearing young man who was thoughtful of more than having a good time, who wanted to do his part and his duty. Its men like him, of all colors, backgrounds, and stations that make this country great. We here in Ramona have lost a fine son, sacrificed on the alter of freedom...today is an incredibly sad day...

Via con Dios mi hermano...

I found his name on the CNN website.

Yesterday is the first Dutch soldier killed in Iraq.

Hopely we don't send our troops back to homeland, like Spain.

We shall stay....I hope.

Salute

Dutchy

My prayers are for Ramon and his family.

We need to keep up the fight. We must remain steadfast in our battle to overcome the evil of terrorism. To turn tail and run would be a grave mistake that would cost us countless lives.

Ramon's sacrifice will not be in vain.

Navy Chief

PC, I will be thinking and praying for his family in this time of crisis and hope that the thought of his bravery and sacrifice will be a small comfort to them. I will also mention him and his story in my Sabbath School this weekend.

My prayers go out to his family.

www.pigstye.net/iraq

Looks like I cant make his service, a freind called this morning and is stranded 400 miles away and needs my help. I'll look to the living first. But my heart will be there. My prayers go up for his family, that their faith remains strong and they remember the good hope we have thru Christ.

Chief, I hope we see this thru too. I couldnt stand the thought of Ramons' death being in vain.

I salute him for his sacrifice. I commend him for his selflessness. I thank him for his service. I wish for him eternal peace.

"No greater love hath a man who layeth down his life for his friends..."

God Speed Ramon Ojeda.

My condolences to his family and to you PC Pilot.

-Skater

<S> To some one who grabbed a .50 thinking more about covering his buddies than himself, a selfless act of heroism that should be comended.

Cracks me up how he always looks so tough in his photos. But you know, he loved to laugh and joke and was a very easy going young man. I wish I coulda teased him about his pictures...then MAYBE admit that I take the same kinda pics... :)

This article with accompanying pic was posted in our churchs' Conferance website...Pacific Union Conferance.