Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

"Du doch Nicht!" - "Kiss my a$$"

Some time ago, there was a skin posted by our good German comrade Olham that had a tail message similarly placed on the tail of (I think) a Dr.1 to Udet's "Du doch nicht!" that Olham said was translated as "Kiss my a$$".

I tried to find it, and to get a confirmation of the translation, because I want to add this "motto" to the tail of one of my planned model builds, but was unsuccessful. Can anyone point out the thread to me, or provide a screenshot of the tail motto (hopefully close-up and in detail), or could Olham re-post it here for me? Can one of our German speaking friends confirm the translation?

Also, it was written in the older style (is it Gothic?) script. Can anyone tell me what the "font" is called, and where I could get an idea of how to reproduce it?

Thanks gents.

Check Six, I believe it was "Deutsch Gothic", (if it's the one I am remembering), which is available as a free download. There are a couple of others that look about the same which are also available online from websites such as 1000 Free Fonts.

In fact, here's a link to one of many places you can grab it from: Gothic Fonts

i would translate it like "you? i don't think so!" wich wants to say to the enemy, YOU are not going to have the honor of shooting me down.

so in short, kiss my a$$ explains it well.

i would translate it like "you? i don't think so!" wich wants to say to the enemy, YOU are not going to have the honor of shooting me down.

so in short, kiss my a$ explains it well.

I agree Creaghorn, that's how it was interpreted for me... like 'It's not going to be you' in English.... meaning... yeah, eat me... kiss my a$$... etc..

OvS

Check Six, the motto on my fighter skin was "Du kannst mich mal!"

which has the meaning of "You can kiss my a§§!"

In the skins download section, look for the dark blue Albatros D V or D Va with the wolf head

on the sides - I think it was that one. (If not, I must have a search myself).

The typestyle could have been "Chaucer".

PS: here's the link

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8899

Edited by Olham

The problem is that it's an expression of locality... there is no direct English expression that explains it, and often people try to do that. It's a dialect, like here in NY. If I say fuggetaboutit.. bash yer freakin' head in...

or even more common stuff like... smatta wit you.... what's up with that? these are expressions local to NY/NJ, so it doesn't translate directly to anything in another language structure. So you simply have to say it in the native language and nothing less.

As if this is something I could be proud of.... but... I used to teach my buddies in college that were from the South how to properly drop the 'F-bomb' as it simply does not sound right coming off a tongue with a Southern Twang (accent). When I would say it like I meant it, they would tell me how much meaner, and more threatening it sounded. So it's all relative to locality.

Same for Kempf's Dr.1... Kennescht mi Noch? Which is something like Remember me? or You'll remember me, but there is no direct English language translation, it's simply an expression from the area he grew up in.

OvS

"Remember me?" is good for "Kennscht mi noch?", OvS.

In high German it would be "Kennst Du mich noch?" (Do you still know me? Can you still remember me?")

The way he wrote his, is Schwabenland "low German" or dialect from the area round Stuttgart.

Udet's "Du doch nicht!" means "Not you, never!" with a felt laughter after it.

But you're right; one can translate the meaning most correct; you'll never translate the full regional colour.

My native Ostfriesisch "low German" is even an old language, with similarities to Danish, English and Dutch.

When you name someone a swine or a monkey in German, you say "Du Schwein!" or "Du Affe!",

which both sounds rather sharp and unpleasant. In Ostfriesisch, it is "Du swin!" or "Du ap!",

which both sound, spoken, much softer, still a touch of gentleness in them.

I believe, an Ostfriese hardly ever gets as harsh or sharp in a rage than a Berliner - only through his

more gentle language.

Edited by Olham

Olham, OvS,

There is a lengthy thread on the Aerodrome discussing what the "loose" translation of "Du doch nicht!" was, given regional dialects etc

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camouflage-markings/45885-correct-translation-udets-message-tail.html

But that's not what I was trying to get at. Whilst Udet was basically saying "No, not you" to the pilots attempting to shoot him down, and Kempf was saying "Remember me?" what I REALLY did want was literally "KISS MY A$$".

I wasn't after the meaning or reasoning behind the historical markings, I wanted to put a message on the tail of a model that I'm planning, and "KMA" is EXACTLY what I wanted to say. Sorry if I got you guys confused, but it's interesting in the generation of discussion that comes about when mention is made of "Du doch nicht" and its meaning (see the above thread for a healthy lengthy discussion).

Thanks Olham, that's exactly what I wanted to say. Pure and simple. No dialect vagaries. Just "KISS MY A$$". And thanks to those that gave me a few ideas for the font of the text.

yes, I've read that thread before, it's rather lengthy but always fails to miss the point of it being a simple local expression.

OvS

Edited by OvS
  • Like 1

yes, I've read that thread before, it's rather lengthy but always fails to miss the point of it being a simple local expression.

OvS

I think it is the most recent incarnation of this age-old discussion, started only a week ago (4th Feb), and this one goes into formal and informal use, local dialects, translated into French and English, how one would address der Rittmeister, should he have translated it into English, would any allied pilot understand it, etc etc etc.

You're absolutely correct. It is a local expression.

Oh, and Olham, that skin you directed me to MAY be the skin that incorporates your very witty "bumper sticker" of "KMA", but it doesn't show it. I don't think that's the one. But may I say, that could be the most beautifully painted WW1 aircraft I have EVER seen. Stunning! I've attached it here for all to admire. The second one has a "bumper sticker tail motto" but is different to what you said in your earlier thread. Can you translate this one too please?

Edited by Check Six

Okay, CheckSix, then I will go through my skins and see, which one it was.

I'll post here again.

While "Du kannst mich mal!" is the short form of "kiss my a$$", almost polite, cause not

really mentioning the three letter word directly, you can also do the full writing of it:

"Leck mich am Arsch!" , which is much more crude and vulgar - your decision.

Edited by Olham

Olham, I would think the level of vulgerness would depend on the pilot. If he was a lowly little gefreiter from the trenches, then he would probably not mind being referred to as the lavatory Baron. Where as an aristocratic gentleman would probably opt for something more pleasant.

Guest Sieben

"Leck mich am Arsch!" , which is much more crude and vulgar - your decision.

Reminds me of the motto of the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division (WW2): "Du kannst mich an dem Arsche lecken". Widely known on the Allied side as the "kiss my a**" division.

Check Six, the tail motto fo the Albatros "Blue Wolf" means "Look behind you!"

as if to tell his hunter, that his wingman may shoot him down any second.

Sieben, the motto is from Goethe's "Goetz von Berlichingen", a knight with one

artificial hand made of iron.

He sais to a messenger: "Sag Deinem Herrn, er kann mich am Arsche lecken!"

Which means directly translated: "Tell your lord, he may lick at my a***!"

Edited by sandbagger

Sorry Check Six, I didn't realize it was a new discussion... it's one that gets opened (as this one did) every now and then.

Finding the exact expression in German for Kiss my A$$ might be tough, so you might have to setting for translating each word from English to German.

It might not sound right to a German toungue, but maybe they can read it word for word?

OvS

Eyh? Didn't you read my last answer, OvS???

Eyh? Didn't you read my last answer, OvS???

Yes, but that sounds too proper... Lords and all that.

Arsche lecken - which is what, lick my a$$... ? I think all he wants is that, but what is the word for kiss? Can't he just replace lecken with it?

Yes, we don't say "Kiss my a$$"

That would be "Küss meinen Arsch"

We say :

Leck (Lick)

mich (me)

am (at my)

Arsch (arse, butt)

Even though it makes no sense in German... "Küss meinen Arsch" looks really cool! :good:

No, it does make sense, OvS, you can use that, too.

Especially the Austrians really use it that way, but every German

would also perfectly understand what you mean.

It's almost a politer form of "Leck mich.."

olham is definitely right. it's leck mich am arsch or short leck mich. i must know that. using this about 20 times each carride grin.gif . so if you want to sound real german, write leck mich. that's definitely official since centuries. everything else wouldn't be german, or it would sound like wannabe german language.

Edited by Creaghorn

Guest Sieben

This thread has turned into serious linguistic analysis with philosophical overtones, just what I would expect from the learned gentlemen in this forum. :grin: Although I must say, the "Küss meinen Arsch" version is something that any speaker of English would understand, even if he knew no German. :no:

This thread has turned into serious linguistic analysis with philosophical overtones, just what I would expect from the learned gentlemen in this forum. :grin: Although I must say, the "Küss meinen Arsch" version is something that any speaker of English would understand, even if he knew no German. :no:

I have to agree... you could pretty much see what it says without knowing German.

I'd go with "Leck mich am arsch!" or "leck mich!" is pretty cool too.

So it's all sorted now, and good to see we got there!

:good:

Maybe I'll put one of these on my Black Dr.1. I used to have 3M TA3 as my personal plate on my bike... but that was years ago. It was from the Beastie Boys 'License to Ill' album. :grin: Maybe I'll use that instead! LOL!

Olham,

Actually, I like the "polite" version. The crude, rude one might be good to anger your enemy, and an angry enemy makes unforced errors. But I do like the polite version...

I also like the "Look behind You" motto on Wolf's aircraft (is this a historically correct skin for that pilot?). I'd very much like to model that one as well, but whilst I'm fairly certain there wouldn't be any decals to stick on available for sale anywhere, and I'd have to paint it all myself, I'm confident I could replicate the moon and stars and background colours (including the "black tulip" marking very similar to Erch Hartmann's Bf 109 - he's somewhat of a hero to me - anyone that can down 352 aircraft in a little over 2 years as a 20 year old has got to know his stuff). But the wolf?? I don't think I could duplicate that well enough. I might try to reproduce it onto a decal sheet and see if that works.

Anyhow, thank you for your assistance, and thanks to all the German speakers for teaching me rude words. Seriously, thanks for the discussion, it says a lot about the humour of the young pilots, and says a lot for the Jasta Commanders that allowed them to paint that sort of thing (rude or not) on their aircraft. I bet they hid those ones when the Generals came to inspect the Jasta. After all, those aircraft were the property of the Kaiser.

Thanks again gentlemen. If (when?) I get them built, I'll post pics here for you.