Sign in to follow this  
Roger55

409MB!

Sounds like some nice new stuff on this update and the price is OK.

BUT JEEZ LOUISE! 409 MB! That would take me a two or three months to download if there is restart support and the mirror would let me in that long.

The design team needs to have pity on those of us that don't have all the bells and whistles.

But that's not all we have here by way of problems. This Core Duo runs at 2.8 MHZ with a 3072 KB Cache on the processor. OFF loads it up as it is, though thankfully it's never run hot so far. That's why I wondered elsewhere what it would do to my frame rate.

Sometimes, unfortunately, you can't upgrade, and since they say definitely "for download only" I would say sorry I have to pass. I like the whistle in the wires as much as the next guy. I fly with my ear as much as my eye, and sure I'd like a skin on this Bebe that matches the squadron down here. but 409 MB !!!!

Roger, what kind of a connection are you working off of? Even I was able to download it in about 15 minutes, despite the single-hamster-powered IP I'm stuck with. Worse case scenario, you could maybe get a dev team member to burn a disc of the update and send it to you if need be. But I'd jump on line in the wee hours of the morning when things are slow and download it direct. Come to think of it, that is what I did.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Roger, sorry for you, but it's always wrong for some of us:

when BHaH was announced, a lot of people complained about the fact, that it was NOT a download.

I'd could ship you a disc, but first I'd need the Dev Teams OK and of course their verification that you have purchased the expansion. So Cal to AZ would be a quick trip even for the US snail mail. Can we even do this?

Guest Sieben

Beat me to it, Winston. I hope something can be worked out, since it would be a shame for Roger55 to miss out on a great expansion.

I have slow satellite internet and it took me the best part of 2 hours to download HitR. With the dialup I had before, it would have been around 45 hours! :boredom:

Yeah, I got wireless here with a transducer right outside my window pointing to the tower, and it took almost 3 hours to download. Too bad they don't have DSL, cable out here in the sticks.

409MB these days is nothing Wings of Prey is 6GB download (!) I know as I bought it and downloaded it lol (no DVD option at all!),

Most people have broadband. Of course if you haven't it's not easy.

We currently have no DVD option for HITR, and would not want to encourage any DVD shipping between players obviously - we may add a "backup DVD" option to the download, we'll look into it.

Guest Sieben

Most people have broadband.

...and would not want to encourage any DVD shipping between players obviously...

Well, that's the word from the owners. If they won't allow it obviously we can't honestly do it. Sorry, Roger55.

I don't know about most people, but I live 20 min. from the state capital and 15 min. from two other affluent towns/cities and have no cable or DSL, just dialup and TV antennas. So, for me, it's satellite internet/TV or nothing. My yard is starting to look like CIA at Langley. Still, it's better than living in town. Before I retired, I'd just make big downloads over the university's LAN and burn them to disc. Still, it's better than working for a living.

Roger...do you not know anyone you could pay to download it? ie:-you pay for it, and they download it?

Hi Roger,

Here's a potential option for you.

I work in a public library in the UK, and we provide free internet access to library members, including something like 2 GB's worth of download, also buckshee. Do you have a nearby library that you could join that also provides similar facilities to ours? It would enable you to buy HitR and fire off the download. Usually public library IT systems (at least here in Britain) have a nice fat T1 type link which would mean that you could get HitR downloaded in about 3-5 minutes depending on traffic.

Just something to explore, perhaps. It's certainly worth having HitR if you already have P3, since it adds both detail, a choice of AI and those lovely little Niueports.

Cheers,

Si

The PM board works v-e-r-y slowly; so the gentlemen who sent me PMs only got through to me through email notifications. I got fed up after 30 minutes of waiting to try to answer. I don't think we should do anything not OKed by the the guys in charge i.e. the designer/vendor. Besides they have to have copy protects, and I don't know how that would work on portable media. If anyone is going to send me a CD/DVD copy, it's probably going to have to be them.

Local library has dial up (or did they take that out to save city money ?). University library has some kind of high speed, but I lost priveledges there back in 2000 when they layed me off and did some in state tuition adjusting to get the poor (pooh) rif-raf like me out that made it impossible to pay for Dissertation hours and left me ABD i.e. in an academic dust bin. No way in that direction.

I don't know anyone that has DSL, L a Meno-P :-), or wireless. My neighbors are old farts like me. They got rid of the cable after the last kid left home. I have a old friend who might, but he works for an NGO contractor to Homeland Security, and he only gets in touch with me (four times last year) not I with him. Or he shows up at the door like he did two weeks ago. My other longtime buddy has dial up too.

Now if the designers, vendors say on this thread, "pay for the download and what it costs to send you a disk," via a donation or something else, I'd do that. But that may be a negative business expense for them. No one needs negative business expenses these days.

Besides I still don't know if I can run the thing with the update. Could crash the whole system.

Man alive! I didn't think their'd be so many replies. Just like I didn't expect all those Eindeckers on that patrol last night. "We go up in fame, or down in flame."

Oh, I forgot. I have Download Manager. Lets see. 3000-5000bps into 409MB is that 409,000,000 bytes or 409,000,000,000?

Edited by Roger55

Yes, as I suspected, it can't be done via dial up. One week to download and three trys.

Well, you can't miss what you never had.