Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

Quick question to any locksmith/former burglar here...

What would cause a deadbolt not to work anymore? I just came back to my place tonight and couldn't get in very well 'cause the key wouldn't completely unlock the deadbolt. I noticed that when I inserted the key, something didn't feel right with the locking mechanism... like something was broken or missing. I had to jam a credit card into the receiver area and just tap the bolt a bit to get it to completely unlock. However, the bolt will no longer go back to the lock position when I try to lock it. My concern is that my psychotic ex-girlfriend might have made a copy of the key that I gave her when I was dating her and tried to force her way back in to my place, busting my lock up. Of course, I have no proof of that... only speculation. Any ideas what else could cause this?

your not having much luck recently are ya babes..lol, hope you get everything sorted..and i do a great service in ex-girlfriend removal if you need it xx

xx V xx

(i shall ask a friend of mine who has dabbled in locks for the wrong reason,but unsure if there same as UK ones,or if US is different) x

I'd say just replace it to be safe since a busted lock isn't doing you any good anyway.

I forgot to mention that before this, I had changed out the lock so that my ex can't use the key that I gave her to get into my place. So, would ramming the wrong key into the lock bust the deadbolt?

Here's a picture of your typical dead bolt:

Medeco%20Ex%20Deadbolt.jpg

The Key on the outside and the Lever on the inside turn a cam mechanism located internally in the deadbolt itself. I've had the cam fail on several Schlage assemblies. Granted these were construction grade cheap assemblies. I've changed my entire house over to Kwikset and have been very happy with them. Nice thing about them is you can re-key all the locks in a matter of minutes without having to call a locksmith.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products.aspx

Server:

I got your PM's.

I'd say the deadbolt was messed with. The door lock was not.

I'd also say that your about as secure as you can be.

Remember what our local Lock and Key guy says:"Locks only keep honest people out."

Good luck.

Edited by ezlead

Remember what our local Lock and Key guy says:"Locks only keep honest people out."

Good luck.

Yeah, I know. Was thinking of getting a webcam and have it stream video of the door to an online account. That way if anybody breaks in, I have the video of it... plus, if somebody does break in and notices the camera, they might abandon their attempt... but then again, people rob liquor stores all the time and there's always a camera recording the cashier.

I think an old bear trap near the door would help.anyone comming in to a dark room and stepping into it will be easy ti identify....if the trap was bolted to the floor that is.All joking aside it's the worst feeling when you just don't feel secure in your own home.I'd say get the looks changed and if money is available go with your camera idea.Also see about getting one of those fake dog bark devices that you put on your door so if the handle is jiggled it sounds like an angry dog is on the other side. :grin:

ok, as I use my powers for good now, and not evil, your deadbolt just basically fell apart, or maybe wasnt put together correctly when you re keyed. Its almost impossible to damage a deadbolt with a set of lock picks, or even a bump key, which I doubt your ex even knows about. Now, a big crow bar is another story,,,,

If you havent already, make sure the deadbolt you get is the newer type which bump keys dont work on, and yes, its true , locks only keep honest people honest.

Another trueism,,IT TAKES A THIEF TO CATCH A THIEF.

My previous statements are not to be taken as an admission of guilt, nor as a statement of being a former locksmith. At this time I refuse to confirm or deny any participation in either field.

No comment.

I dont recall that.

I have no previous knowledge of this.

(did I forget any?)