Sign in to follow this  
sitting_duck

Ati & cfs3config

Im not trying to re-write the book on cfs3config settings, but another pilot followed my proceedure for doing their cfs3config with an ati card, and they got the same results I did. As i was not sure if this was something that was unique to my system, didnt want to suggest it to heavily, but it appears to work.

For reference, i have a e8500 @ 3.19 and a ati 4870

I was tired of getting lower fps than other ppl with same or lower systems. For the most part, i had been trying 3 cfs3config settings. Off's, Rabus/homeboys, and the settings on com-central.

I reset my cfs3config to default, and i reset my ccc settings to default. As i knew i was going to be starting the game over and over again, i made a shortcut to cfs3mp.exe (cfs3.exe will work just as well), so i would not have to start from the off manager every time.

I ran all the games with tac off, labels off, and hud off, and used the teamspeak overlay to get my fps. Ive found the "Z" key can drop your fps a few.

I made one change to cfs3config, and set my resolution, and played the game, writing down my fps on ground, and then skimmining over trees.

I made one more change to overides, and unchecked dual pass render, and played the game, noticing a dramatic jump in fps.

Then i started adjusting my sliders, one slider at a time, and one notch at a time, playing the game after each setting to see the impact on both fps, and more importantly, how the game played and looked. And writing down the fps with each cfs3config change.

Doing Planes first, then effects, then clouds, on my system, (someone elses might be different) setting these to 5 did not frop fps any.

Then did scenery and terrain, again, one slider at a time, one notch at a time. For my system, going from 3 to 4 on either dropped fps alot, with no noticable improvement in game play or appearance.

So when finished with sliders, was at 5-3-3-5-5

Then i started making "recommended" tweaks to overides, and texture info, one setting at a time, and playing the game to see the effect.

NONE of the recommended cfs3config tweaks (ie vertex buffers, render target, etc etc" improved my fps or game play. In most cases they dropped my fps.

when i was finished with cfs3config, the only changes i had made to overides was dual pass render unchecked, and i unchecked the disable shoreline render, and disable water animation.

texture info was left at default.

I was running around 45-53 on the ground, and 60fps skimming over trees. And no matter how fast i turn my head, i almost never see white triangles on the edge with my track ir.

Went into my ccc settings, and rather than do settings on click at a time, just adjusted each 3d setting to where i wanted to be able to play the game, and watched the effect of each setting.

I was able to turn all ccc settings to performance, and fps in the game did not drop at all.

The premise is pretty simple. If you make a slew of settings changes, all you get to see is the combined results of those settings. You have no idea if some helped your fps/gameplay, and some dropped your fps/gameplay.

while this method is a pain, and takes time, it does show you the effect of each individual setting change on your game.

And while most of the suggested tweaks for cfs3config have been around for a while, and pretty much accepted, from what i see, they are not the best settings to use, at least with ati cards.

I've a similar system. I suppose I could try your settings later. My settings are 43343 and the rest is the same overides stated by the faq and the shadow disabled. I use low density in the terrain setting in WS. I've 2x AA, AF 4X and AI set to High, and all the other settings set to performance. I usualy get 45 to 60 on the ground. At certain cities and with AI planes it can drop to 30.

What I didn't understand was the part related to CCC (I use ATT Tools). What AI you use, what AA and AF?

Do you have any particular map where you do all your tests?

I've the same CPU running at stock speed and an ATI 4890.

Wow, impressive research you have done, Sitting Duck.

I am running almost the same CPU, and the same vid card as you.

I would like to ask you for some screenshots, to see how it all looks your end now.

And if you could make a screen capture of your CFS3config ("overrides" and "texture info")?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Olham

sitting duck,

ur a star.

thank you.

morris

Ok..think you missed the point....

I am not recommending settings...within reason what works for someone with systemA will not work with someone with systemB.

What i am recommending is a proceedure for each individual pilot to determine what settings are best for them, and that proceedure is to make one change at a time, write down the change they made, play the game, and write down the result of the change.

admittedly, I think if enought ati users try this, they will find with the exception of the dual pass render, the default settings in cfs3config overides and texture info will yeild the best gameplay/fps. I dont have nvidai, so cant comment on what settings might be best for them, but the proceedure would still apply.

as far as the other settings, i used ccc for aa (16x edge detect), and have res set to medium in workshop

this is the mission i used to check my game/fps after making each change

on the ground, 60fps ( i used to be lucky if i got 20 here)

gallery_45808_317_131.jpg

skimming very low over alot of trees

gallery_45808_317_124225.jpg

Just a comment on making adjustments to improve performance. I've followed real world Formula 1, Indy and Gtp auto racing for years as well as raced radio control Unlimited Hydro boats and RC cars. The FIRST lesson to be learned is only make ONE change at a time, then do a test run to see what if any changes there are. That is a golden rule unless you have solid settings information that would would suggest making more than one change.

sorry von paulus, i didnt notice that the link for the mission i used didnt take.

Its just a take off from one of the bases in dover england. lotta trees there, and a nice large town if you want to see the effects of alot of houses low.

something near albert would do just as well

SD I tried your settings and in my case the game turns less smoother that with the FAQ settings.

I'll try to fiddle with the settings in the next couple of days and if I reach any conclusion I'll post here.

Dear SD,

If I find that Stars & Stripes SPAD in the air i will riddle it full of holes.

have a great day.

m

Have mercy, Morris - it's one of my "creations" (see: downloads > skins).

SD I tried your settings and in my case the game turns less smoother that with the FAQ settings.

I'll try to fiddle with the settings in the next couple of days and if I reach any conclusion I'll post here.

lol...wow..i must have done a really bad job of explaining this...

the last thing i was recommeneding was just throwing someone else settings that happen to work for them into another system...

and, if you game is running fine to beging with, unless your onna the ones that have to keep trying to squeeze more,,(like me)..if it aint broke,,dont fix it...

all im suggesting here is to start from scratch (ie..default cfsconfig), and adjust your settings as slowly as your patience allows..but playing the game after each adjustment, and writing down the effect of the adjustments.

I have never had anything close to 60fps on the airfield,, and was amazed that it was all the "recommeneded" tweaks (vertex buffers...write only buffers etc etc), that where dragging my fps down with no improvement in game play. But thats just my system.

what works for me might not work for you, and what works for you might not work for me. But the only way to tell what is best for any individual system is one setting at a time,,play the game, then move on to the next setting. You may find one of the recommended settings works best for you after all, but in my case, NONE of the recommened tweaks came even close.

Now it's me who have done a bad job in explaining...

I understood perfectly SD. I confess have never tried to change the settings a lot from what are displayed in the FAQ.

But you're experiments in fiddling with the settings, due to bad performance, have somehow inspired me to try also to change some settings.

Why not share in this thread our common findings?

For me OFF has never performed 100% near what I would like; that might be a myth, an El Dorado, an impossibility, but I'd really like to improve things if possible. So once in a while I do my own experiments. If I find something that induces a better performance I'll report back here.

We can exchange ideas, can't we?

Is there any documentation regarding the configuration of CFS3? I didn't found so far, I doubt that exists.