Sign in to follow this  
Stingray72

Me, Cliff, and a book. Phantom Jocks Unite!

Hi guys and ~S

I wanted to share something with you guys. I have had a book in my posession for a number of years and recently re-read it after I got into WOV. The book is called "The Scream Of Eagles", and it is about the start of Top Gun. It is not only a fantastic book, but it details a lot of things about the Phantom that are put in a way that is easy to understand. the content comes from the mouths of great Phantom drivers such as Mel Holmes and "Mugs" McKeown.

-Some of the things I learned wer manuevers that the F-4 could do that MiGs could not

-Capabilites of the MiGs

-Missile envelopes

-Proper altitude and speed for carrier landings

-How to keep energy in the F-4

Look, I know some of this stuff is already known. Heck, I thought I knew a lot, but this book kind of puts it in a fighter pilots jargon, a sort of easy to understand, and the coolest thing is you can put the book down, pick up the game, and watch it translate. I have gotten a lot better at fighting MiGs because of it, and missle shots are becoming childishly easy for the radar shots, and have gotten way better at heat seeker shots. simple crap, like did you know the AIM-7 won't work inside of a mile and a half? In game, same thing lol, it used to make me crazy when I would have the "in range" light and my missile would not track and just fly into the ground. Now I get it lol.

Some of the older heads around here know all of this stuff, so it's not for them, but for us newer folk, check this book out. I just sent a copy to Cliff and he agrees that it helps, and he's only had the book for 2 days!!

~Rob

• Like 1

SOunds interessting, who wrote the book?

Robert K. Wilcox

ISBN 978-0743497244

Hanseat

Robert K. Wilcox

ISBN 978-0743497244

Hanseat

SWEEET! Thank you, just ordered it :drinks:

Yup thats a good read I have it somewhere there is also a book before it called Wings of Fury thats also a good read by the same author. They are both on Amazon...

I read Wings Of Fury and it was a very good book, but it was not as informative as this one, at least not in the context thatI am talking about. I will explaing lol.....

When I first started playing WOV, I had an enthusiasts knowledge of the F-4, ie, I knew it was fast as heck and that I should not attempt to turn with a MiG. That said, we all like to think we know more and tryi it anyways. I got clobbered most days, MiGs could catch me running, I didn't get how it worked, just that the Phantom was faster and more technologically capable. I also found that I could not get my missiles to work except for maybe 10% of the time. In the book it is explained how the missile envelopes affect the probability of a hit. Sindwinders won't hit a target turning hard, wasn't designed for that, you have to wait until the MiG is flying straight, or, if turning, reverses to get him with a heat seeker. I learned that from reading the book. I also learned how to stay with a MiG, which kind of forces him to reverse. It all ties in lol.

Cliff, after you finish the book and try some stuff out, post some comments and let folks know if it helped or not. As for me, I rarely ger shot down by AI MiGs now, it was that helpful. I learned lead turns, escape manuevers spefically designed for the Phantom, how to make her climb like they say she does andhow to use the power as an advantage. Like I said, I am sure that the older heads know this stuff, but us new guys have not had this stuff explained to us, at least not in the layman's detail that htis book provides. Do youself a favor, check it out!!

~Rob

Got the book today! Will start reading tonight :grin: Thanx for the tip! :good:

thanks for the tip, i checked out the preview at amazon and it looks good. 

IMHO, there isn t a point where you know it all and i still keep learning

cheers

Jaeger

Scream of Eagles is already a classic, must have book :ninja:

Another must have is the "bible" for air combat:

Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by CDR (USN Ret) Robert L. Shaw

google it and you can find a pdf version

if you like it, buy it .. its 400+ pages full of info

and much easier to read in real book format :skull: