Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

New enginesounds with doppler-effect and other sound-tweaks

Here a soundtweak for more realism if the devs don't mind (downloadsection)

contents are new sounds for AI flown aircraft with original engines of the apropriate planes and doppler-effect. right now only a few AI engine sounds are standing for many different aircraft. now you are going to hear the right engine for the right type.

furthermore i tweaked the soundfile to have the effect that when an aicraft gets closer you'll hear it louder and vice versa. currently it's wether on or off.

also you'll hear now flak bursts the louder the nearer it is, and softer the further away it is.

additionally i tweaked the air explosion files (when an aicraft is burning and exloding). the explosion itself is the very same. now you'll have additionally some broken engine, overrides etc.

contents are:

Inline-scouts (albatros etc.)

Inline-twoseaters

Sopwith camel

Other Sopwith engines, besides the camel (pup, tripe, strutter etc.)

DH2

Various Nieuport versions

Spad

Se5

Fokker rotaries

sound-effect file drop into C:\Programme\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

wav-files drop into C:\Programme\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\sounds

the engine files won't replace anything, the explosionfiles will replace it, so please back up first the original ones. same goes for the sound-effect file.

all original contents belong to OBD software

Creaghorn

Edited by Creaghorn

This looks like a fantastic mod, Creaghorn! I am currently downloading it and will test it whilst testing my DM mod. Thanks for the contribution. :salute:

Here a soundtweak for more realism if the devs don't mind (downloadsection)

contents are new sounds for AI flown aircraft with original engines of the apropriate planes and doppler-effect. right now only a few AI engine sounds are standing for many different aircraft. now you are going to hear the right engine for the right type.

furthermore i tweaked the soundfile to have the effect that when an aicraft gets closer you'll hear it louder and vice versa. currently it's wether on or off.

also you'll hear now flak bursts the louder the nearer it is, and softer the further away it is.

additionally i tweaked the air explosion files (when an aicraft is burning and exloding). the explosion itself is the very same. now you'll have additionally some broken engine, overrides etc.

contents are:

Inline-scouts (albatros etc.)

Inline-twoseaters

Sopwith camel

Other Sopwith engines, besides the camel (pup, tripe, strutter etc.)

DH2

Various Nieuport versions

Spad

Se5

Fokker rotaries

sound-effect file drop into C:\Programme\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

wav-files drop into C:\Programme\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\sounds

the engine files won't replace anything, the explosionfiles will replace it, so please back up first the original ones. same goes for the sound-effect file.

all original contents belong to OBD software

Creaghorn

Upload away - if you have used any original content simply credit OBD software.

Have fun

WM

Upload away - if you have used any original content simply credit OBD software.

Have fun

WM

sorry WM, not sure what you mean. i think i did credit OBD in this line

"all original contents belong to OBD software". is something wrong with that?

cool creaghorn..I am gonna take a look (or rather a listen) to those! :drinks:

sorry WM, not sure what you mean. i think i did credit OBD in this line

"all original contents belong to OBD software". is something wrong with that?

Not at all - just include the credit in the dwonlodable pack - I see it in this thread np but it should be in the download is all I am saying!

Have fun

WM

Not at all - just include the credit in the dwonlodable pack - I see it in this thread np but it should be in the download is all I am saying!

Have fun

WM

i just checked. it's the very same text as it is here, with the same credit. same goes for the readme file included in the pack. maybe you just overflew it spadlike too quickly? bye.gif

This should be great....thank you....will try later when no-one's here so I can crank it up.....any chance you might lift a leg on the "front" sounds to alter the distance effect? ......or....what are the lines to tweak so we can try it too....I've worked on this in the past but with ambiguous results.... thanks again

This should be great....thank you....will try later when no-one's here so I can crank it up.....any chance you might lift a leg on the "front" sounds to alter the distance effect? ......or....what are the lines to tweak so we can try it too....I've worked on this in the past but with ambiguous results.... thanks again

there is lot of trial and error doing this. i thought about tweaking frontambience too, but that might be tougher. it should be mostly loud enough to hear it softly in the distance, dependent how far away your airfield is from the battlefield, and when getting closer it should be louder. when flying at treetoplevel over the battlefield it should be really scary loud. but when flying high over NML it should be a little softer again. not easy to do but i'll try it.good.gif .

just shows what a helluva job the devs made in every aspect.

i just checked. it's the very same text as it is here, with the same credit. same goes for the readme file included in the pack. maybe you just overflew it spadlike too quickly? bye.gif

Sorry no I have not downloaded your mod so I am not sure what the read.me in that says but what I am trying to say is as long as you credit OBD where necessary in the read.me, there is no need to post and ask for permission here.

HTH

WM

Sorry no I have not downloaded your mod so I am not sure what the read.me in that says but what I am trying to say is as long as you credit OBD where necessary in the read.me, there is no need to post and ask for permission here.

HTH

WM

ah ok. understand. thank you for clarifying heat.gif

Creaghorn, these modifications are great. You must be some kind of a sound wizard! :good:

Please let us know if your magics solve the question of frontline sounds.

Very neat Creaghorn! I will be downloading these and giving them a try this evening.

thank you, guys, but please try it before you give any credit lol drinks.gif .

one thing i should add, the engines sound great, but when entering the theater all AI-craft have the same pattern in the beginning, so it might sound a little bit strange because in the beginning all engines are synchronized. but that might, if at all, only occure on the airfield. as soon as you are in formation it'll sound as it should because some are closer, some are further away with mixed patterns etc.

Creag..............these are great! Shell music and voices a nice change of pace too....I especially liked the new sound and rate of fire of the Spandaus.....very cool! Engines are throatier with a lot more presence to them. And you're right....the assembled crew on the field is a bit overwhelming but it clears up aloft as you'd expect it to.....nice touch! Tried the lighting effects as well on your "homebrew"....very dark and atmospheric to be sure..... but I kept wanting to take my sunglasses off.....totally moody and forbidding but I couldn't see a damn thing on the deck.....maybe the years....something in-between maybe? And I totally concur on your "front" thoughts.....felt the same but hadn't a clue how to implement them. Thanks again....these are nice touches...thanks again. Cheers....GAW

Great work Creaghorn! Tried 'em out this evening. Very immersive. The doppler effect on the engines and the archie works very well especially.

I tested various planes in quick combat yesterday, and these new sounds really do make a difference. It sounds a bit strange at first, because I'm so used to the default effects, but Creaghorn's sound files are definitely an improvement. Not that the default effects are bad in any way. :grin:

I've tried them with Nieuport 28 and they sounded strange, like if the engine was aways going up and down not steady.

I've tried them with Nieuport 28 and they sounded strange, like if the engine was aways going up and down not steady.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I tried a Nupe 28 a minute ago. Inline engines don't seem to have that issue.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I tried a Nupe 28 a minute ago. Inline engines don't seem to have that issue.

are you talking about the own enginesound or the AI flown nieup you can hear flying next to you? because the own engines are the same as before. it's only the AI flown engines i changed. if you mean the latter i'll check asap.

Creaghorn

Your OFF tweaks are fantastic!!! Please keep them coming. The sounds of the different engine types that you included with this mod are quite noticeable and really enhance play. I definitely can tell the difference between the engine sound of an aircraft close to me and one that is farther away. I hear a very noticeable attenuation with distance. I am still awaiting an experience in which I can notice the doppler effect, however.

I do have a question concerning the balance between the AI aircraft sounds and my own aircraft sounds. I am having issues with the close-in aircraft engine sounds. For example, when my wingman is flying in formation with me, his engine noise practically drowns out the in-cockpit sound of my own engine and guns firing. In effect, the neighboring aircraft sound swamps out mine. Also, in the exterior view of my own aircraft, shouldn't I hear my engine volume as high as the same type AI craft in its exterior view at the same viewing distance?

So, How can I drop the exterior view volume of my wingman's close-in engine sound to be more in balance with sound that mine makes? Or conversely, how can I boost my engine sound to match my wingman's at the same apparent viewing distance?

OlPaint01

Creaghorn

Your OFF tweaks are fantastic!!! Please keep them coming. The sounds of the different engine types that you included with this mod are quite noticeable and really enhance play. I definitely can tell the difference between the engine sound of an aircraft close to me and one that is farther away. I hear a very noticeable attenuation with distance. I am still awaiting an experience in which I can notice the doppler effect, however.

I do have a question concerning the balance between the AI aircraft sounds and my own aircraft sounds. I am having issues with the close-in aircraft engine sounds. For example, when my wingman is flying in formation with me, his engine noise practically drowns out the in-cockpit sound of my own engine and guns firing. In effect, the neighboring aircraft sound swamps out mine. Also, in the exterior view of my own aircraft, shouldn't I hear my engine volume as high as the same type AI craft in its exterior view at the same viewing distance?

So, How can I drop the exterior view volume of my wingman's close-in engine sound to be more in balance with sound that mine makes? Or conversely, how can I boost my engine sound to match my wingman's at the same apparent viewing distance?

OlPaint01

look in workshop to the sound sliders. engine slider shows how loud your own engine is. effect slider shows everything else besides your own ac (AI-engine, AI-guns, explosions etc.). cockpitsound is mainly for your own mg.

so you should decrease effects one notch (makes AI engine softer) or increase engine slider one notch (makes your own engine louder)

btw the doppler here is no programmed doppler and does not work like in real. it's only the sound of the engines of the apropriate ac recorded during a real flight (during flight an engine sounds completely different due to doppler frequencies than when standing next to it) i used and implemented. the doppler is ingame not at all dependend of the manouvers an ac does. it's only a recorded wav.file. wich repeats itself. but nonetheless since they are the engines during a real flight, they fit imo better (besides the nieup-sound as it seems)