Sign in to follow this  
Bossco82

New GTS250 giving me trouble in WOV

Hi Guys,

I have been running WOV with my own thinned out campaign and thinned out AAA in VietnamSea with Green Hell at medium detail for a while now with no major problems. The only problem I ever had was the fact that when in any campaign on a strike mission up north when the bombs dropped my FPS went from around 40 down to 5 until the bombs stopped dropping. I've been getting round this by thinning out the campaign planes and terrain AAA without losing the games atmosphere. While I was getting through it, it seemed like a good idea to upgrade my GPU memory in my ATI HD4850 512mb upto 1024mb. This week I got a Palit Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1024mb card as a birthday present. Although now my problem on campaign mode is pretty much gone and my FPS are around 55-60 and dont go lower that 15 i've picked up a weird problem. I get a pause for a millisecond every 3 seconds, the terrain itself seems to stutter slightly. If I turn my ground objects down to low effectively cancelling out the green hell objects the problem goes away. Is this card simply not compatible as i've spent all day trying every different setting on the card. Its really weird because its there whether i'm flying high or low straight and level, pulling hard turns or even flying though debris and explosions, its just a constant nuisance in the background.

PC speck

E8600 core2duo at 3.16ghz

Asus P5KPL MB

CMI soundcard

3.5gb DDR2 ram

Nvidia GTS250 1024mb gc

Windows XP

Any help appreciated guys, Cheers from Ross

Hi Guys,

I have been running WOV with my own thinned out campaign and thinned out AAA in VietnamSea with Green Hell at medium detail for a while now with no major problems. The only problem I ever had was the fact that when in any campaign on a strike mission up north when the bombs dropped my FPS went from around 40 down to 5 until the bombs stopped dropping. I've been getting round this by thinning out the campaign planes and terrain AAA without losing the games atmosphere. While I was getting through it, it seemed like a good idea to upgrade my GPU memory in my ATI HD4850 512mb upto 1024mb. This week I got a Palit Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1024mb card as a birthday present. Although now my problem on campaign mode is pretty much gone and my FPS are around 55-60 and dont go lower that 15 i've picked up a weird problem. I get a pause for a millisecond every 3 seconds, the terrain itself seems to stutter slightly. If I turn my ground objects down to low effectively cancelling out the green hell objects the problem goes away. Is this card simply not compatible as i've spent all day trying every different setting on the card. Its really weird because its there whether i'm flying high or low straight and level, pulling hard turns or even flying though debris and explosions, its just a constant nuisance in the background.

PC speck

E8600 core2duo at 3.16ghz

Asus P5KPL MB

CMI soundcard

3.5gb DDR2 ram

Nvidia GTS250 1024mb gc

Windows XP

Any help appreciated guys, Cheers from Ross

i have the save problem. my fps is always in the 60s but it constantly drops to around 22 and gets up really fast. gives a weird stuttering.

Have you tried the enbseries mod?

Did you try any other drivers?

A dual core CPU etc wont help you much with WOV - was never programmed to use multicore properly.

I'm hoping SF2V may in the future have blistering multicore CPU performance - well one can hope!

Edited by MigBuster

HI Migbuster,

Yeah I know about the dual core thing but when I built this rig I got the E8600 for a steal. I tried the latest nvidia driver but no change unfortunately. I did try the enb mod, I used version 1.01a from hear but it actually dropped my fps by a few. This evening I put my ati card back in and the problem was the same. I'm sure I didn't have this problem a few days ago but i've been doing a lot of swapping and changing in the vietnamsea terrain file and i've obviously upset something to do with the green hell mod that comes with the gold pack. While i'm on the same subject can anyone recommend what settings in nvidia control would be best for WOV.

Cheers from Ross

I have a geforce GTS250 with 1024 of memory and everything works perfectly fine, so it's not the card. It could be a million other things, drivers, HD needing defragging, programs running in the background, heating.

The ENB series dll is meant for SF2 games on vista/W7, though I seemed to get a boost on XP with WOE, then SF2.

The EMB series mod will do absolutely nothing for frame rates under Windows XP.

It works best under Vista or Windows 7, providing alternative post-processing, under DX9 with either first or second TW titles. DX10, aka "advanced shaders" eliminates the need for this in SF2 with the latest patches. Of course, DX10 is only available with Vista or Win7.

Now, back to the matters at hand. I have the same basic card, albeit an EVGA "superclocked" version.

I find that my best performance under SF2 is arrived at with the following settings

Driver Version 190.38

1680 x 1050 res (native to my monitor)

4X MS AA

Gamma correction

8X Aniso

V-Sync on

High Quality Texture Filtering

Triliniear Optimization

Aniso Sample Optimization

Negative LOD bias

Prerender Limit set to 3

Force Mip Maps set to trilinear

HDR enabled

These settings will guarantee FPS between 44 and 60 with a decent CPU. FPS will be limited to your refresh rate, but as they say, "DILLIGAFF!" (you figure that last one out :grin: )

One more thing, there's nothing USEFUL to be gained by having your horizon distance (in-game, under options, graphics, customize) set to anything more than NORMAL. Setting beyond "normal", forces your system to use significantly more resources to render terrain tiles at a distance at which YOU CANNOT SEE THEM ANYWAY :grin:

This has been an unofficial public disservice message from the staff here at CA :good:

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 1