Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT A great day on HMS Ark Royal

Had a great day aboard HMS Ark Royal, returning for a visit to her Birthplace on the River Tyne...The Geordie Girl comes home to Newcastle..HURRAH :drinks:

Nice pix. I'm always amazed at the sheer scale of naval vessels. I've spent more than 18 months at sea aboard everything from an LST (Landing Ship, Tank) to an LHD (Amphibious Helicopter Carrier) and I'm still trying to figure out how they get something that size to move in the first place.

As a kid, I had a model of the aircraft carrier "HMS Ark Royal" from WW2.

And I think I read somewhere, that the name "Ark Royal" has a long Navy tradition?

Wasn't there even a sailing navy ship with that name earlier?

Great pics! :good:

Olham, the Royal Navy has a tradition of keeping the same names for their vessels. Some of them have been in use for centuries (the names, not the ships). :grin:

Too bad the modern Royal Navy is but a shadow of its former glory. Britain doesn't rule the waves anymore.

Edited by Hasse Wind

Great pics! :good:

Olham, the Royal Navy has a tradition of keeping the same names for their vessels. Some of them have been in use for centuries (the names, not the ships). :grin:

Too bad the modern Royal Navy is but a shadow of its former glory. Britain doesn't rule the waves anymore.

Don't think anyone does these days.....with the advent of Fire and Forget weapons, Air Power and Nuclear weapons, the waves kinda rule themselves.

One of the guys I spoke to, had been on another ship combating Somali Pirates, and had sliced one of their boats clean in half with one of those 20mm guns! :lol:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Hasse Wind: Too bad the modern Royal Navy is but a shadow of its former glory. Britain doesn't rule the waves anymore.

We all have our ups and downs - same for old Egypt, Greece, Rome, China.

Now it might be China's turn to rise again. That's history - and may result in human nature.

There always seems to come a peak, and after that, it goes down again.

And some day - up again.

Hasse Wind: Too bad the modern Royal Navy is but a shadow of its former glory. Britain doesn't rule the waves anymore.

Now it might be China's turn to rise again. That's history - and may result in human nature.

And some day - up again.

That's very true Olham....not a massive fan of Empire's generally (except the Game of course)...but they seem to be very important in moving civilisation forward.

WOW! Great pics Widowmaker, those carriers really are massive! How long is the Ark Royal going to be anchored there and open to the public?

Olham, the original carrier HMS Ark Royal was a converted tramp steamer that first served in the Dardanelles in early 1915. There is a very good "look-alike" of it for OFF in the form of the HMS Furious, as seen here:

post-45680-1247748793.jpg

And for those who haven't already seen it and would like to watch a short clip of the carrier, as well as the Short seaplane from Phase I, click the following link:

Dardanelles Campaign Project Video 1

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou...she sails on the Morning Tide...lol

To take delivery of the 12 Harrier's that were sadly nowhere to be seen on the Day!(she was only open to the Public for one day (Saturday)...really glad I went along...and of course, my son now wants to Join the Navy! :blink:

And some day - up again.

China seems to be on the rise in business and could very well become the worlds leader.this.gif

Olham, the original carrier HMS Ark Royal was a converted tramp steamer that first served in the Dardanelles in early 1915....

First carrier yes, but the first ever Ark Royal was built for Sir Walter Raleigh in 16th Century, seeing action in 1588 during Spanish Armada.

The WW1 Ark Royal was the second to bear the name, and the current Ark Royal is the fifth.

Converting ships to carriers was also done after WW1 due to the surplus of capital ships. The Courageous class carriers, HMS Courageous and HMS Glorious were former light cruisers converted to carry aircraft.

Edited by Flyby PC

Thanks all for the detailed information!