Sign in to follow this  
Redkite

Sopwith Camel and no throttle

I was wondering how pilots adjusted speed when flying in formation given no throttle, was it with mixture? I must get some reading on this aircraft, got the camel aces book but it is pretty much names and number of kills.

Excerpt from WIKIPEDIA: Rotary engine control

It is often asserted that rotary engines had no carburetor and hence power could only be reduced

by intermittently cutting the ignition using a "blip" switch, which grounded the magneto when pressed,

shutting off power to the spark plugs and stopping ignition. However, rotaries did have a simple carburetor

which combined a gasoline jet and a flap valve for throttling the air supply. Unlike modern carburetors,

it could not keep the fuel/air ratio constant over a range of throttle openings; in use, a pilot would set the

throttle to the desired setting (usually full open) then adjust the fuel/air mixture to suit using a separate

"fine adjustment" lever that controlled the fuel valve.

Due to the rotary engine's large inertia, it was possible to adjust the appropriate fuel/air mixture by trial and

error without stalling it.

After starting the engine with a known setting that allowed it to idle, the air valve was opened until maximum

engine speed was obtained. Since the reverse process was more difficult, "throttling", especially when landing,

was often accomplished by temporarily cutting the ignition using the blip switch.

Read the whole article here: http://en.wikipedia....i/Rotary_engine

Edited by Olham

Thanks Olham and Uncleal, what a brave chap removing the chocks I think I would have attached some rope to them if I knew that was down to me.

Just a thought along the lines of realism, I read somewhere someone has a fan blowing on them to simulate air rush, now what about the castor oil?

Listen to this guy describe the actions of the Camel

I love this video... everytime I watch it, I can't help but think the poor bastard in the Camel is struggling every which way from Adam to keep that plane in control, ignition, wind, torque ... etc.. meanwhile the Spitfire pilot is out for a nice effortless Sunday stroll in the sky... mind you, probably at near stall speed... but at least having an easier time with it than the Camel pilot.

I love these old planes. drinks.gif

OvS

ME TOO! drinks.gif

I sat in the cockpit of a Camel many years ago in Biggleswade. It was so very, very cool, despite the gawd-aweful layout of the instruments, which OFF has followed with extreme accuracy BTW. :biggrin:

Yes, two of the best in formation!...awe inspiring

Here is a Camel on Booker Airfield, in the 80s.

Towards the end, the light gets better, and you see two landings,

one of them with a nasty kick to the left. She must have been witch to fly.

I love these old planes. drinks.gif

OvS

That's what it's all about Otto. For many years I thought I was alone in my fascination with early aviation. None of my friends was remotely interested. And thus my interest lay dormant, seething and bubbling with frustrated discontent, waiting patiently with intent for the first opportune moment to arise Phoenix-like from the ashes.

And so it did. I love these old planes.