Sign in to follow this  
Jammer28

A WWI movie that almost was

While poking around on Wikipedia I was reading about the American actor Cliff Robertson. This is the bit I found interesting:

Immediately after winning the Academy Award for Charly, Robertson attempted an aviation film tentatively titled I Shot Down the RedBaron, I Think. It was a spoof in which he played a fighter pilot against the Red Baron, who dressed in pink and was obviously gay. The Red Baron was played by Don Watson. During the summer of 1969 Robertson’s production utilized Lynn Garrison’s War One airfield, at Leixlip, Ireland, with a collection of replica aircraft, vehicles and support equipment. The film was never completed.

Hmmm - as far as I know, the pink colour was only associated to the gay people by

the "Pink Star" they had to neigh on their clothes like the jewish people carried the

"Yellow Star", under the Nazi regime.

The film was surely given up, because it was obviously a very bizzare mix of genres,

I think - it would have only reached a rather special and limited community, namely

the gay people, who are also keen on WW1 air combat. And the latter don't like any

historical distortion. Something for a late night program rather.

"Brokeback Mountain" is a movie no one has to be afraid of - I saw it, and I was very

moved and touched by the story of those two characters, although I am rather the

old fashioned hetero. But it works; it is a very human film, and it doesn't show you

anything you could not bear to watch. It doesn't matter at all in the end, if it was

about homo- or heterosexual people. You will understand what I mean, when you

watch it 'till the end.

dntknw.gif Till the end ? I dont think I would give up my seat to see the filmgrin.gif

Or "Brokeback Wing Spar." blink.gif

good.gif mmmmm I think that was the Seat of the problem although it sounds like they were in the Arears of the filming. rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

It's a great relief anyway, that even the late sixties with

their "summer of love" did not produce a movie like that!

:no:

"The Flower Children of the 60's, have grown into the Blooming Idiots of Today." So don't worry Olham, there's always a chance that it can still happen. hehehe

ZZ.