Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

parallel SF2(V) May2009b and Feb2010

Over the weekend I cleared out my SF2V - and updated all to the Expansion Pack Gold v2.1.

As I diligently saved BackUps, this is what I wanted to have: two sets of SF2Vs - one on the May2009b-build (with the much missed trees in the XP! good.gif ) and another one on the latest (Feb2010) build.

Not too hard, only time consuming to re-install both enviroments.

Now I do have two desktop-shortcuts, one pointing to the May2009b-base game and one pointing to the Feb2010 (cool!), and two mod-folders: one May2009b with the XP2.1 on "before Dec2009" and another one Feb2010 with the XP2.1 on "after Dec2009".

Good so far.

When I want to play May2009b now, I firstly need to change my Vista from Aero back to Basis and chose the May-Mod-folder by renaming it from "Strike Fighters (May 2009b)" to "Strike Fighters" only...

Same for the Feb-version except for the need to change Vista...

As changing the mod-folder is an "extra step" I wonder if I can change where the game (version) looks for its mod-folder - so the May2009b selecting its mod-folder automatically and the Feb2010 doing the same (then I only would need to switch Vista).

I already learnt that the (was it the) Options-INI holds an entry that points to a directory where the game looks for its mod folder - but the Options.INI is IN the mod-folder itself. How can that work, then???

So, how/where can I tell the system to look for the "Stike Fighters (May2009b)"-mod folder when starting the May2009build, and to look for the "Strike Fighters (March 2010)" when I choose the Feb2010-install?

I am sure you guys know...

Thanks a lot again.

PS: seeing the trees back in May2009b makes one miss them only the more in the Feb2010... this.gif

What? No trees with the new patch? I have put together a "bastardized version" of that terrain ( taken from one of my wov installs) ported over to my SF2E install. I have trees with the Feb 2010 patch. My only issue is a bit of a ghosting effect on the hillside trees that silhouette against the skyline.

The Vietnam Expansion Pack to SF2V does include trees from "Green Hell 2".

With the Dec 2009 (and Feb 2010 for that matter) game patch, the trees were poking through the clouds, creating patterns of x-shaped trees on the white clouds. This was due to some alpha layer-change TK incorporated with the Dec 2009.

(Workaround incorporated in the XP is to make the trees transparent...)

Seems like your trees in SF2E don't produce the same issue...... Lucky you!

Maybe someone with more knowledge might know the reason (and be able to produce a solution for SF2V dntknw.gifyess.gif )...

Oh, no "overnight" replies? That raises doubts that there is an (easy) solution...... Prove me wrong, please.

I re-checked, what I have and in the Mod-folder's "Options.INI"; there is an entry:

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=C:\Users\Oliver\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Vietnam

But again, I cannot imagine how the game (May2009b) should "find" this entry, if changed. If I leave both mod-folders named "May2009b" and "March2010", the game started would create a new mod folder "Striker Fighters Vietnam (blank)".... No joy.

Even IF the plain virgin generated mod folder would identical, be it from the May2009b- or Feb2010-build, THEN redirecting to (newly created) mod-folders by changing the above entry wouldn't work as I still would need to have two different entries and couldn't make the game find the right one...

Ideas, anybody?

Thanks

Oliver

Rename one of your .exe's (the one with the May patch) from "StrikeFighters2 Vietnam" to "StrikeFighters2 Vietnam May2009b".

Run to create the mod folders based on the name of the .exe.

Then dump your mod files to the respective folders.

Keep the standard StrikeFighters2 Vietnam install for constant updating to latest standards.

Did this strategy before with NF4+ but I find it too annoying.

So I just converted NF4+ to be compatible with latest patches.

Didn't have problem with trees in NF4.

Edited by jomni

Hum, I thought I did it that way and the mod-folder generated by the "SF2V (May2009b)" was named "Strike Fighters Vietnam", too (no difference to the mod-folder created by the "SF2V" on the Feb 2010....)

But I'm not 100% sure, I must admit. I will give it another try this evening and see if it will come up with another name.

Lucky you if your trees do work in NF+ and SF2E... I'm not the only one seeing those patterns on SF2V (later than Dec2009) and the Expansion Pack. So maybe/obviously the culprit lies in the GH2-data in the XP and not in the stock SF2-install!?

Hum, I thought I did it that way and the mod-folder generated by the "SF2V (May2009b)" was named "Strike Fighters Vietnam", too (no difference to the mod-folder created by the "SF2V" on the Feb 2010....)

But I'm not 100% sure, I must admit. I will give it another try this evening and see if it will come up with another name.

Oh well. :(

I guess you can point to a custom folder using the options.ini (the one you showed earlier) but it should reside in original Strike Fighters Vietnam mod folder. Then switch it when you need to point it to something else. It's still a manual workaround though, not seamless. That's why I only keep one version.

Edited by jomni

If it weren't for the (EXCELLENT!) trees, I would stay with the current, too........

Thanks anyhow.

I gave up. I prefer WOV original with the gold mod now. Better graphics for me. I like the atmosphere that it generates with mist, fog and low cloud humidty and TREES. :salute:

copy; StrikeFighters2 Vietnam.exe file and StrikeFighters2 Vietnam

configuration file to somewhere else.

Rename .Exe file and configuration file to the same name of your choosing.

Then put them back in 'core files' folder.

Run game,escape out,then look for 'mod folders'.

You should have a new mod folder with the new name on it.

This is for XP. For Vista,I think you have to turn something off.

I am currently running 5 different games on 1 merged install of SF2V/SF2E. 5 different 'mod folders'.

Just to check-back that I really got you:

you mean

1) take the whole SF2V-installation file - the WHOLE folder INCLUDING the .exe? - from my C:program files/ThirdWire

2) copy (to desktop, "my name" or whatever) and

3) rename (both the new folder and the SF2V.exe) to say "SF2V2009b"

then

4) put it back to C:program files/ThirdWire and run (what you call "core files", right?)

does the trick?

So the mod-folder's name get's "imported" from the exe's name?

Oh-kay, except for renaming the .exe itself that's what I already did... Something new worth the try!

Thanks, ezlead!

So the mod-folder's name get's "imported" from the exe's name?

Oh-kay, except for renaming the .exe itself that's what I already did... Something new worth the try!

Thanks, ezlead!

Didn't I tell you that before? I thought you did it already. :good:

jomni, I only renamed the install-folder containing the stock (and unaltered!) SF2.exe... As that one's name remained "Strike Fighters 2", so did the mod-folder.

Sorry if I got you wrong on that...

No worries. Just trying to help.

So is it working now.

Edited by jomni

Hum, well.......

I did according to your "guide" yesterday which did not really work out satisfying:

- Copying/renaming BOTH the SF2V-folder and the .exe inside was no prob. I put it back to the "program files", ran it and... Strange: it was not the tried and true SF2V-screen I was getting but the SF2 (no V!)-screen with the Phantom instead of the Crusader shown. blink.gifWhat's THAT coming from???* ...No big deal - can be tackled later or even left this way...

- Exited the game and checked the mod-folders: oh-kay, a newly created mod folder (named the same as the .exe - even using brackets worked well) in there, just as you told... Well so far (except for the new screen).

- Next step: copied and renamed my previous May2009b-mod to match the newly created's name and ran the game (deleted the clean new mod-folder first): no go, the mods weren't loaded! Instead there was another clean mod-folder created with the SAME name as the modded one! yikes.gif Read again: identical names! Now THAT'S really weird...

Eventually I rolled back again and renamed the .exe (tried it IN the program files itself - "as admin" it went without probs, too) back to before and deleted all newly created mod folders...heat.gif

So, as before I still have the opportunity to play both installs (by selecting the wanted mod folder by deleting either the "March2010" or the "May2009b"-appendix from the mod folder's name and changing Vista Aero to Basis), but still have no solution to my wish each install might pick its mod-folder by itself........

...I MIGHT load a the newly created mod folder with all the XP-mods again, but (at least for now) that's a lot more of an effort than just renaming the mod-folders before playing... (The more as I am not sure that this will work well then.)

Any enlightment on the above "oddities" or other hints maybe???

Thanks

Oliver

* remember: I have SF2V standalone - no other SF2-series!

Edited by stingray77

I have still yet to figure out what the hell you are trying to do. You want 2 different installs of SF2:V at different patch levels?

Exactly - one on May2009b having the trees coming with the XP (and running red instrument lights at night), the other one on Feb2010 without the trees but other goodies TK included with the updates...

So, usually I would be flying on the most modern and up-to-date-patched build (where the lack of trees doesn't hurt), and if I like to take low missions (or Spectre-missions) where the trees blend in just TOO well (ever saw the Spectre's shells going into the woods and all the trees casting shadows? It's an AWESOME effect!), I'd go for the May.

That don't sound sensible (enough) for you?

Campaign- and pilot's data should be identical, so interchangeable between both...

Edited by stingray77

Ok this is easy

1. Install SF2:V to a folder other than your program folder.

2. Once installed, and patch to May 09, rename the exe to May09Patch. Run once. In your saved games folder, a mod folder called May09Patch will be made. Install mods as you need to.

3. Make a new install of SF2:V to your programs folder. Patch to Feb201, rename the exe to Feb10patch. Run once. In your saved games folder, a mod folder called Feb10Patch will be made. Install mods as you need to.

That is all you need and that is how I have NF4+ installed at a Jun 09 patch level.

Dave, first: thanks for your help.

Then - before going through the (rather tideous/time consuming) process of re-creating and -patching the game again, I wonder what difference that new installation makes in comparison to my original May2009b-install (except for having that one run in the past already)? The data should be identical, right?

So renaming the install-folder and the .exe (as ezlead advised) should be the same as your approach!?

That's what I already tried with that weird SF2(NO V)-main-screen, I have no clue where that one might have come from.

Now, in a PM ezlead proposed another variant (which I still need to translate from his - I guess XP - to my German(!) Vista-lingo - I can find all his hints here in the office on my XP-machine, but at home I am starting the game by desktop-shortcut from the .exe - so no "Start").

If I understand him correctly, the common starting point is having two differently patched versions of SF2V in the /program files/ThirdWire/.

From there:

Go to Start/Settings/TaskBar and StartMenu

Go to Start Menu-customize.

Go to Add.

Browse to Prog Files/ThirdWire/Strike Fighters 2X. Click on Strike Fighters 2X folder to get in it. Scroll down to Renamed .exe file(it will have green icon by it) Highlight it and then click OK.

It will come up with address(highlighted in a box) Click on next. It will bring up Start Menu. Scroll down to ThirdWire/Strike Fighters2 Vietnam and click it. It will come up with name of new game(should be Strike Fighters2 Vietnam 2009) Click on Finish.

Now go to Start Menu ThirdWire Strike Fighters2 Vietnam And run the new game. IT should put new mod folder up in Docs.

That's something I will try to reproduce in my Vista over the weekend (hope I can find the time).

Had I foreseen how much effort is going into this (including binding YOUR time as well!) I would have lived with the "renaming"-soultion (it's just a couple clicks more effort) and not even asked... I thought that might be a no-brainer.........yikes.gif

Thanks for all your help! drinks.gif

Well my method above is the simplest form of doing that in my opinion. Not saying mine is the gospel because it is not. That is how I do it and have done with little effort. Your mileage may vary. As far as ini's go, yes some have changed between patches so using old ones might not work.

Stingray:

DaveJS's way works just as well.

As you can see,there are several different ways to do the same thing.

Look thru the recommendations and find the one that is the best and EASIEST for you to do.

We don't care how you do it,just that you have success.

I don't fly SF2 Vietnam much. I didn't know about the 'Tree effects'.