Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

WWII Aircraft in current SF1?

I bought SF2 in the combo pack in December. After reading these forums, it seems that SF2 is a bad choice for WWII aircraft as the flight models are not compatible. Fair enough. Lots of fun jets to fly!

My question is this - If I was to buy the current download of SF1 from the Third Wire store, would many, most, some or none of the WWII aircraft work with it? I am assuming the currently available download is patched to 08 levels, and my understanding is that most of the WWII aircraft are designed for and fly best in the 06 patched version of the game. At least this is my understanding from working through the forums.

I was wondering if anyone cared to offer an opinion on whether it would be worth buying SF1 to have as a WWII install. Is SF1, WOE, or WOV best for this purpose. (WOE seems the favourite)

It would allow me to scratch my Corsair and Hellcat itch.

To be honest it's hard to give a definite answer here. Truth is there are some prop FMs that work just fine in SF2, but there are also those that shouldn't be used with any post 06 SF1 version, which might be a bit of a problem nowadays, because while the older patches are still available at Thirdwire, new SF1 versions (from the TW online store) are updated to the latest version and as far as I know it's not possible to remove those updates.

Edited by Gocad

Yes, I agree with Gocad here.

Most of the existing WW2 birds only work properly with the 06 patch levels, and I think new online purchases from TW are already patched up to the latest build. It is not possible to revert to an earlier version.

But there is hope for the future, as gregoryp and the avhistory guys are working up SF2 FMs for many of the WW2 birds. There are a number of beta FM releases available over at avhistory:-

http://avhistory.org/communityserver/files/folders/ww2_aircraft/entry2112.aspx

Tempest_MK_V

Bf-109G-10DC

Bf-110G-2

Bf-110G-2_R3

Do-335A-1

Fw-190D-9

Ki-43II-b

A6M5-52a

F4U-4

P-38J-25

P-47M-1

P-51d-30

These work just great on 08 patch/SF2 builds.

Also, I understand that the DAT team are working on an Eastern Front total conversion mod for WoE, and Charles is updating the FMs for that to 08 patch standard.

My advice:-

D/L the avhistory beta FMs and set up a separate WW2 install in your SF2, using only those a/c which are listed above. You may wish to set up one for ETO and one for PTO, obviously.

Any questions, fire away.

Tally-ho!

Baltika

Honest to gods truth...I'd give my left nut for 08 level FMs for our 300-odd WW2 birds. I don't care if their 1%, 10 or even 15% of real life. I just want ones that'll work in 08 and SF2.

Now, in working on the KAW mod, we've discovered a 'new' bug on take offs ... a lot of the prop-job assume a WWAAAYYY to nose-high attitude, stall out, spin in and crash. Bobrock posted a fix to add or replace the AI section in the aircraft's data ini. I feel I'm not voilating our 'secret squirrel agreement' by posting THIS bit, so here's what you do:

open the data ini for which ever aircraft, copy paste the section below somewhere, usually near the top above the ]AircraftData[ section. This most definately helps in SF2 with the latest patch (2/10???), and seems to work in 08's too, although I haven't spent much time there lately, being ass-deep in NK and CCF troops ...(which also explains my absence here)

[AIData]

TakeOffRotationAngle=20.0

AileronDeltaRoll=1.2

AileronRollRate=-1.0

ElevatorDeltaPitch=1.0

ElevatorPitchRate=-0.1

ThrottleDeltaSpeed=0.05

ThrottleVelocity=-0.01

DeltaSpeedForAfterburner=

DeltaSpeedForAirbrakes=-50

MaxPitchForAltitude=30.0

MinPitchForAltitude=-20.0

PitchForThrottle=0.005

PitchForAltitude=0.001

PitchForVerticalVelocity=-0.001

RollForHeading=15.0

RollForHeadingRate=-0.5

MinRollHeading=15.0

MaxRollForHeading=65.0

PitchForRoll=0.23

FormationSpeedForPosition=0.8

FormationSpeedForRate=0.5

at the least, it's worth a try.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for all the replies. I will try a separate SF2 install and see what happens. I will also check out the a/c already SF2 converted.

As for the FM's for prop aircraft, I do know they fly very differently to jets. My Dad was in the RAAF when they were converting to Vampires and he said he saw experienced prop pilots ground loop their aircraft by applying the sorts of control impulses they were used to using on the Mosquito to pull it off the tarmac.

Edited by harryleith

Honest to gods truth...I'd give my left nut for 08 level FMs for our 300-odd WW2 birds. I don't care if their 1%, 10 or even 15% of real life. I just want ones that'll work in 08 and SF2.

Now, in working on the KAW mod, we've discovered a 'new' bug on take offs ... a lot of the prop-job assume a WWAAAYYY to nose-high attitude, stall out, spin in and crash. Bobrock posted a fix to add or replace the AI section in the aircraft's data ini. I feel I'm not voilating our 'secret squirrel agreement' by posting THIS bit, so here's what you do:

open the data ini for which ever aircraft, copy paste the section below somewhere, usually near the top above the ]AircraftData[ section. This most definately helps in SF2 with the latest patch (2/10???), and seems to work in 08's too, although I haven't spent much time there lately, being ass-deep in NK and CCF troops ...(which also explains my absence here)

at the least, it's worth a try.

wrench

kevin stein

Hi Wrench

There are 3 pitch setting I've found in my AI research

[AIData]

MaxPitchForAltitude=22.98

MaxPitchCombat=27.13

TakeOffRotationAngle=11.49

On the ground, during takeoff, the AI rotates to this angle. It only works in SF2. In SF1 my Lancasters drive to the target grin.gif

TakeOffRotationAngle=11.49

Once off the ground at around 100ft the AI will then rotate to this angle.

MaxPitchForAltitude=22.98

A rough calc to use is (=atan(ClimbRate/ClimbSpeed)

ClimbRate = Max power rate of Climb at Max Weight in FPM

ClimbSpeed = ClimbSpeedMph*5280/60

And finally, the AI will switch to cruise climb and reduce power to 85% and climb at this airspeed.

[FlightControl]

ClimbSpeed=63.9

And use what ever pitch angle needed to maintain this speed. In this mode the AI can have a low pitch angle fully loaded and a steeper angle at light weights.

** Note, I discovered a bug in the prop thrust which makes it lower than it should at climb speeds. I posted it over at the Thirdwire forum.

Gregory

Edited by gregoryp

Beauty, Greg!!!

wrench

kevin stein