Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

FE2 - Spad 7 is flyable!

Hi all.

I haven't flown a French Campaign ever before in FE Gold or FE2, so that's what I decided to try today. Much to my surprise, the starting aircraft for the Battle of Cambrai 1917 campaign is the Spad 7 with 180HP and a single MG!

Even on Thirdwire's own website it is listed as AI only, but obviously it has a cockpit "linked" and can be flown, only thing annoying is a small GFX error when firing the MG that shows a second "ghost MG" working on the left hand.

But hey, this is really cool.

Wow, sounds good. Is there a specific default cockpit for it? Could you post a screenshot please? :good:

Can't post a screenshot quickly, but it seems a tad like a "hack" by TK. The briefing screen, load screen are from the XIII. The cockpit is ALSO from the XIII. There's some geometry overlap in cockpit view where the model of the cockpit meets the outside model of the aircraft.

So basically it should perform like a VII, looks externally like a VII, has only one gun (125 rounds) like a VII, but you are flying it from a XIII cockpit with some seams visible. Still decent enough IMHO.

Most likely a bug. TK uses SPAD 13 pit for testing. Initial release of FE XP1 had AEG flyable with SPAD pit, but TK removed it in a patch afterwards.

Well, then it means it's a wrong entry in the campaign data file and should be a SPADXIII. But the amazing thing is that it actually fits really well and does look like a reasonable "mod" not like a glaring error.

I've always used the Spad13 cockpit to make my Sevens flyable. I just make a copy of the 13s cockpit.ini and adjust the position to make it fit the Seven better. I know it's not historically accurate, but I like flying the Seven.

Moving the cockpit around is a PITA, but once accomplished is very rewarding. This has been done before, a cockpit.ini tweak for the SPAD VII and XII is described HERE...

... Could you post a screenshot please? :good:

Yes, please post a screenshot. If TK used the SPAD XIII pit as suspected, then there should be at least some poke through of the cockpit mesh to both sides of the fuselage by the machine gun, as well as some poke through on the padding surrounding the pit opening.

If this is the case, it is likely the reason why it is considered AI only.

If not, let us know!