Sign in to follow this  
Slant6

Moved WOV F-8E to SFG, decals don't show up.

I want to use the stock WOV F-8E (the MF F-8 hits my framerates) over to SF Gold. I used cat extractor to merge the WOV and SFG objectdata.cat files and have the merged file in SFG. I also brought over decals from WOV to the decals SFG folder, and of course copied the F-8E folder from WOV to SFG. Plane works fine--except that decals (except insignia don't show up). What should I do?

did you put the decals in the plane's skin folder? Each one?

did you put the decals in the plane's skin folder? Each one?

yes.

did you edit the decal ini for each skin with the new, proper path???

wrench

kevin stein

did you edit the decal ini for each skin with the new, proper path???

wrench

kevin stein

I tried a couple that are "loc'ed" for the winglet, but so far no joy. The decals.ini path in the stock crusader skins don't even have paths--and they seem to find the decals just fine in WOV, but not in SFG, even though the decals folder in the objects folder has them all (I think)

They find them in WOV, cause that's what it's built for...it's looking into the object cat, that has them all. SFP1 don't have them

so, you've extracted ALL the relevant decals for the various 'sader skins?

well, it' looks like it's the same issue we had in way back when, when importing the 104G into WoV from SFP1.

you'll have to place ALL the relevant decals IN a /D sub-folder for each skin (unless its something like the USNFighterNum, which should be SF object cat. if not ....)

so, after extraction/moving,etc, you're new path would be something like this:

[Decal001]

MeshName=winglet_left

DecalLevel=1

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F-8E/USNGray1/D/F8Fin

Position=-4.57,-0.65

Rotation=0.0

Scale=3.95

DecalMaxLOD=3

and so on for all the others. The only way to be sure, and get it right

wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: an alternative, would be to create a /D subfolder of the MAIN F-8E folder, dump all the decals in there, and change the path to

F-8E/D/decalname

excepting for level 0, like the insigina or nationname. all you level 1 and level 2 (excpting the UNSFighterNum) would also be there.

Edited by Wrench
forgot something!

They find them in WOV, cause that's what it's built for...it's looking into the object cat, that has them all. SFP1 don't have them

so, you've extracted ALL the relevant decals for the various 'sader skins?

well, it' looks like it's the same issue we had in way back when, when importing the 104G into WoV from SFP1.

you'll have to place ALL the relevant decals IN a /D sub-folder for each skin (unless its something like the USNFighterNum, which should be SF object cat. if not ....)

so, after extraction/moving,etc, you're new path would be something like this:

[Decal001]

MeshName=winglet_left

DecalLevel=1

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F-8E/USNGray1/D/F8Fin

Position=-4.57,-0.65

Rotation=0.0

Scale=3.95

DecalMaxLOD=3

and so on for all the others. The only way to be sure, and get it right

wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: an alternative, would be to create a /D subfolder of the MAIN F-8E folder, dump all the decals in there, and change the path to

F-8E/D/decalname

excepting for level 0, like the insigina or nationname. all you level 1 and level 2 (excpting the UNSFighterNum) would also be there.

OK, I'll keep trying. But I merged the SFG and WOV objectdata.cat files using cat extractor. Besides, how will I know which squadron-specific markings to put in "d"? The "hot rod" skin, for example, is an old VF-84 skin (that actually belonged on a F8-C). I guess it's the "Helen Keller" method of just trying different ones until they work. :blink:

I tried a couple that are "loc'ed" for the winglet, but so far no joy. The decals.ini path in the stock crusader skins don't even have paths--and they seem to find the decals just fine in WOV, but not in SFG, even though the decals folder in the objects folder has them all (I think)

In the SF1 series all squadron specific decals for the stock aircraft are in the Decals folder and there is actually no need to change the decal.ini of the stock aircraft. All you need to do is copy the decals starting with F8 from WOV to SFG. Btw, the stock squadron decals are tied to the SQUADRONLIST.INI, not sure if there is a difference between the SFG and WOV sqdlist.

Edited by Gocad

Btw, the stock squadron decals are tied to the SQUADRONLIST.INI, not sure if there is a difference between the SFG and WOV sqdlist.

yes, there is. so, one would need the squadronlist.ini from WoV, and EDIT the SF squadronlist.ini, adding the necessary navy/marine Crud squadrons at the bottom of the list (changing the number sequence goes without saying)

btw, merging the cats, imho, is NOT a real good idea. just extract/use the necessary files for the particular aircraft.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks to you all, especially Wrench. The squadron number (the one on the squadron.ini list) is the key. Once you add that to every line in the decal file you are good to go. You don't even need a separate d folder in the skin--it pulls them from the main decal folder. Problem solved.