Sign in to follow this  
Olham

A Claim made by Udet

For all, who haven't got the book of Udet, and who want to know how a German claim looked:

Interesting is the expression "stinking" or "smelling" for a craft, that probably pulled a trail of

smoke, or at least fumes of petrol and hot oil. I tried to translate it:

After shooting down the first D.H.9, I attacked the Geschwader again, which was on it's return flight.

I shot the middle D.H.9 first stinking (smelling), and right after that burning. The blaze partially

decreased and re-fanned again. The crash happened in the area south of Metz.

Edited by Olham

Thanks, Olham. This is exactly what I meant in our discussion about the claim form. :good:

Yeah, okay, Hasse Wind.

If you know an easy way to make typo text look like those prints - slightly worn off letters -

then I will be gratefull. I tried several things in Photoshop, but none was acceptable.

You can probably find different worn typewriter fonts for download on the internet, I remember when I was trying to get a good font they were quite afew that were much too worn - also you might try making your text colour a shade of grey rather than black, as that makes the text look less sharp.

It isn't the typewriter fonts, Mike. Hasse Wind meant the pre-printed type;

the typesetter's letters. Today, they are Laserprints, sharp and clear.

Back in those days, type letters were made of lead and put together for print.

After some printings, the letters wore off slightly (too high printing pressure was

one reason).

Now I need a way for Photoshop or Corel Draw, with which I can make any type

look slightly old and very subtly damaged. I haven't found one yet.

Not sure if I understand exactly what you mean, but if you want it to look like it's a bit faded (ie not laser accurate) you could make a new transparent layer, write the text on that and then blur it slightly?

Or if you wanted to make certain letters look more faded you could user the rubber (eraser) to pick out certain parts that were chiped or damaged.

Like this for example:

fadedexample.jpg

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Yes, the second is what I want, and using the rubber is one possible thing, I knew.

But the leaden letters were often squashed slightly, or they got a jagged edge somewhere.

So if there was a sort of "grunge filter", that could produce such effects randomly, it would be great.

Nice! Thanks for posting this. I have seen many different document paper of ww1 and there where different claim document papers for germans too. The Brits had probably useally same looking claim paper template.

Edited by Paarma

Thanks Olham,

I have seen probably hundreds of the British form (known as a CITAR - Combats In The Air Report) but I have never seen a German one.