Sign in to follow this  
quack74

DH-2's of No.24 Sqdn A-B-C Flights

Well, there were exceptions I'm sure, but it was standard Airco practice at that time to paint all struts grey, including the tailboom and rear struts.

On a related note, There was usually a small decal applied to the centre of all struts...Here's a close-up of it. Colours were; wings: gold, 'A' and ring: copper, and lettering: black.

dh2012.jpg

Just remembered, I also have a list of about 20 serial numbers of DH2's used by 24 Sqn.

Any use to you?

Just when I think I'm done! grin.gif

That strut decal would be too small to matter much I think. But I'll try it and color it.

I created a batch of serials of 5960's and 7850's. I mixed them up. They're in no order. Hope thats good enough. It's a bitch making decals.

Ok, so here are the final (?) No.24 squadron DH-2's:

-Not the different flight color patterns on the outer wing struts if you can-

Hi Quack

Did you work out how to decal the stuts? If not, have a look at the DH2 skin that I put up for No.24 squadron in March 2007.

LloydNB

Hi Quack

Did you work out how to decal the stuts? If not, have a look at the DH2 skin that I put up for No.24 squadron in March 2007.

LloydNB

Yeah LloydNB. All the above photos have decals on the outer struts. Thanks

Damn, isn't this done yet? You take forever to finish stuff.

:rofl:

Damn, isn't this done yet? You take forever to finish stuff.

rofl.gif

Ha, ha. I have to keep making changesgrin.gif

Ok those No.24 Squadron DH-2's are done (I think). So here are some pics of No.32 Squadron DH-2's. A, B, and C flights. All will show up like the No.24's.

And the last pics are of my Jasta 11 D.III's vs my No.24 DH-2's in a scrap. All appearing at random. Just like I intended. Awsome. The pics are of the same mission. Not all flights appearing. The last photo is of two flight leaders having a go at eachother. Happening all by chance. Very cool. I made the flight leaders of the No.24 DH-2's with one solid color outer brace.

DH-2's of No.24 Squadron vs Jasta 11 D.III's

JFM you should like the last picgood.gif

Ok Bucky...... Let me have it!grin.gif

Edited by quack74

You know how I hate to come across like Mr pedantic,...but here goes.

The 24's are just about perfect...Love the saw-tooth effect! Truly excellent. Well done mate!

The 32 Sqn scheme could do with the following changes, IMHO:

I think the clear dope colour on the nacelle sides would look more like the photos if you lightened it a shade or two...Roughly the same shade as that used for your Bristol Scouts (Whatever happened to those, BTW?).

Could you get rid of that light grey band around the nose?

extend the medium grey on the undercarriage legs all the way up to the nacelle, covering the light grey 'brackets'.

This next one's up to you, but at some point during the autumn of 1916, 32 Sqn decided that their coloured wheels were inadequate as a recognition device, so they added Flight letters and numbers, ie, A1, B2, C3, etc. Take a look at photo No.3 on the previous page. You can just make out 'C1' painted in white on the top wing. Repeated in black on the nacelle undersurface, like so:

dh2xx.jpg

Well,...you did ask!

The Scouts are pretty much done. It's up to Capun to find the time to fix the bugs and things on the the other 3 models. The Scout C1 I believe is the only one thats been fixed up. I'll send you a skin, then tell me what you think.

I figured the Dope was a bit dark too. No problem I'll lighten it up.

As far as the wheels go, I would like them to stay. I'll add the lettering and numbers. Fill me in on what letters again so I understand. What letters and numbers did "A" Flight use then "B" and so on? Was it A-1, A-2, A-3 etc,etc. And B-1, B-2-3, etc,etc? I have to make the decals match with the wheel disc colors.

Should I add the flight letter to the underside of the nose as well?

I tried that emblem you posted. It just looked like an orange spot. Needless to say I left it off.

I'm posting the No.24 Sqn DH-2 pack in the download section.

Fill me in on what letters again so I understand. What letters and numbers did "A" Flight use then "B" and so on? Was it A-1, A-2, A-3 etc,etc. And B-1, B-2-3, etc,etc? I have to make the decals match with the wheel disc colors.

Yeah, you got it. 'A' 1 to 6. Ditto 'B' and 'C' Flights.

Should I add the flight letter to the underside of the nose as well?

Yep...Flight letter AND the number.

Letter above, number below. For example:

A

Shame about the strut decals, but thanks for giving it a go.

Thanks for the offer regarding the Scout skin too. :good:

"You know how I hate to come across like Mr pedantic..."

I don't know about Quack but I find your observations invaluable. When I send something and you say "looks good" I know it had to jump some high hurdles to get there. :drinks:

No.1- If I'm going to go through the trouble to skin all these planes I would rather they be right. Or as right as can be. I have no problems at all considering other peoples opinions. Especially Bucky's. I'd like to buy him a drink actuallydrinks.gif (Hope you're not in AA or anything Buckygrin.gif )

No.2- I messed up the DH-2 download againblink.gif Sorry about that guys. I'll repost tonight.

Ok it should work now. Or as soon as it's approved. I didn't attach the file...DUH!

Edited by quack74

Thanks, Quack, it works. Grabbed it last night. Haven't checked it out yet since I was busy with the Eindecker but will take up a DH2 later today. Thanks for this.

Quack!! That's splendid! Downloaded and using! I did some minor tweaks in order to see the prop/engine form inside cockpit.

On the DATA.INI drop the lines below - it doesn't change a thing, only adding the elements to view:

[AircraftData]

EmptyMass=428.0

EmptyInertia=501.89,254.58,512.94

ReferenceArea=23.13

ReferenceSpan=8.61

ReferenceChord=1.55

//ReferenceChord=1.48

CGPosition=0.00,-0.20,0.00

OnGroundPitchAngle=11.5

DefaultArmorType=WOOD

DefaultArmorThickness=24

Component[001]=Fuselage

Component[002]=TopWingCenter

Component[003]=TopLeftWingMid

Component[004]=TopRightWingMid

Component[005]=TopLeftWingTip

Component[006]=TopRightWingTip

Component[007]=LowerLeftWing

Component[008]=LowerRightWing

Component[009]=LowerLeftWingMid

Component[010]=LowerRightWingMid

Component[011]=LowerLeftWingTip

Component[012]=LowerRightWingTip

Component[013]=TailTruss

Component[014]=VertStab

Component[015]=HoriStabL

Component[016]=HoriStabR

Component[017]=Nose

Component[018]=PropIdle

Component[019]=PropSpinF

[PropIdle]

ParentComponentName=Fuselage

ModelNodeName=PropIdle

ShowFromCockpit=TRUE

[PropSpinF]

ParentComponentName=Fuselage

ModelNodeName=PropSpinF

ShowFromCockpit=TRUE

To make it works properly, on the COCKPIT.INI place this:

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=DH2Cockpit.LOD

HideExternalNodeName=cockpit

OpenCockpit=TRUE

ExternalClipDistMin=0.01

Position=0.0,0.81,0.153

Offset=0.00,0.00,0.00

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

MaxYaw=190

MinYaw=-190

Hope you guys like it! Thanks a lot Quack!!!!!! :drinks:

Excellent tip, Wilches. Thanks for that. :good:

And thanks for those very kind words fellas...Your cheques are in the post :whistle: .

BTW. Really looking forward to that Eindekker skin of yours Jim. It's gonna look great paired up against Quack's DH2's.

Bucky, her are some of No.32. Tell me what u think. The Number and letter under the nose had to be set back a bit to clear that hump and the pilot's feet that stick out the bottom. Hope it's ok.

[attachment=43553:img00015.jpg

Edited by quack74

...The Number and letter under the nose had to be set back a bit to clear that hump and the pilot's feet that stick out the bottom...

Actually, I was gonna say a while back that your pilot position seems a bit low...I noticed it on the Bristol Scout too. Mine's okay on both the DH2 and the Scout, so maybe you should raise yours up a bit?

You probably know this already, but if not, here's how:

Scroll down to the 'Pilot' section in the plane's Data.ini and raise or lower the number value I've pointed out below.

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

PilotModelName=WWIpilot

PilotHeadNodeName=head

Position=0.0,0.71,0.185 <---------------------------The third set of numbers (0.185) raises or lowers the pilot.

MinExtentPosition=-0.33,0.9,-0.35

MaxExtentPosition= 0.33,0.5,0.55

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=STEEL

Armor[REAR].Thickness=15

RE: The nacelle flight numbers:

This is opening up the proverbial can of worms...I was gonna keep quiet about this because I didn't want to cause you any more work, but thinking about it, I reckon it's something you'd like to know:

The underside of the DH2 nacelle was actually solid plywood, not fabric. This was then overpainted in white (or maybe sometimes light grey) to roughly match the clear doped wing undersurfaces. Take a look at photo numbers 2, 8 and 10 on page 1 of this thread and you'll see what I mean. Then take a look at the full frontal photo on page 2 and you'll see that the white painted demarcation line is rounded, closely following the curvature near the end of the nose.

So, (if you feel so inclined), paint the underside white, right up to the end of the nose. The flight letter and number will then fit either side of the compass housing.

PS. The 24 Sqn nacelle undersides should be white too...Really sorry, man, I should've told you back then, but you obviously put a great deal of effort into all that lovely bracing detail on the nacelle bottom...I just didn't have the heart! :no2:

On the No.32's, I figured I would have to change the color of the nacelle bottom to get it right. Still can. It wont be a problem. And I'll move the pilot up a bit too. In the DH-2 and the Scouts if I move the pilot position up, he seems to be sticking up to far out of the cockpit, no? Does the rest of the plane look ok? Numbers...Letters? Besides the nose.

I knew about the No.24's saw tooth pattern being white too. In all the photos it seemed so dirty that at first I thought it couldn't be white. But I guess it was. I'll change it then update the download. No big deal. Thanks Bucky.

Does the rest of the plane look ok? Numbers...Letters? Besides the nose.

I think the nacelle fabric side panels could be just a shade lighter still, and maybe more of a cream colour. They have a slight tinge of green ATM. I really like the wrinkles on the fabric though!

Is it possible to cover that horizontal light grey line on the upper part of the nose? It looks like a highlight, and tends to give that area a bulbous look.

The upper wing letters/numbers look a bit thick in comparison with that photo of C1, which are quite slender. But if that font is all you have, they'll be okay.

Looking good otherwise! :good:

BTW. Really looking forward to that Eindekker skin of yours Jim.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/JFM/First%20Eagles/EIIIWIP2.jpg

WIP. No oil stains or damage layer. Quack is kindly helping me with my halo problem on the damage layer. Don't want to hijack this thread so just a quick peek, taken from screens to check the alignment of the wing battens and belly lacing. BTW, that p10ppy's work is insane! I wish he'd make more planes.

Edited by JFM

Okay, seems to work now, if interested.

Edited by JFM

For Southside Bucky, I'm changing the letter and number decals now so they're not in the pics but I changed the No.24 Sqn Fuse bottom color to white (ish) and changed the position of the No.32 Sqn numbers and letters on the underside of the fuse. Also I changed that band around the nose and lightened the dope up a bit.