Sign in to follow this  
BobWard

Turn-On Cockpit Lights

I cannot find a key command to turn on the cockpit lights at night. CTRL-L seems to work for the exterior nav lights.

I read somewhere about tweaking a cockpit.ini file to get the cockpit lights to activate, but I cannot find that file.

Anyone have any luck geeting the cockpit lights to work?

BOb

Cockpit lights were broken for awhile, but I saw someone report that the latest March 2010 patch fixes it.

There is no command key to turn them on or off.

I believe you are correct in assuming it is determined by an ini file, based on the time of day.

When they work correctly, the pit has a dull purple glow, like this (just made this using SF2I with latest Mar 2010 patch):

pitlighting.jpg

By streakeagle at 2010-04-10

Edited by streakeagle

Thanks Streakeagle. Maybe one of these days we will get a patch that will give us actual back-lighting on each gage.

I remember flying the original Lock-On a few years ago and the night-time cockpits on those planes were gorgeous - looked like the real thing. Seems like I even remember having landing lights.

Bob

They're like my Malibu; come on automaticaly when it gets dark :grin:

You can extract the cockpit.ini for any/all aircraft and adjust the "on time" ... this is for the F-100D_64

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=f-100d_64_pit

Position=0.0,4.09,0.81

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

MaxYaw=170

MinYaw=-170

MaxPitch=90

MinPitchFront=-45

MinPitchRear=-35

LightRange=1.5

LightInnerConeAngle=65

LightOuterConeAngle=70

LightAngles=0.0,-30.0,0.0

DiffuseLightFactor=0.5

NightLightOn=0.25 <---this number

NightLightColor=0.6,0.3,0.4 <--color

Gunsight=GunsightFront

0.55 seems like a good number; been using that for years; that makes the come 'near dusk' (I think Moonjumper/Crusader discovered this a long long time ago)

you can even change the color, but you need to convert whatever color wanted (red or green or whathaveyou) to the decimal equilvant of the RGB ... Deuces used to have a conversion app at his site; I'll check and see if the link is active.

yes, it's still active:

http://www.sfmods.com/rgbtool.html

you need to know the RGB values of the color, plug them in and it'll covert to the "game entry"

examples:

PureRGB REd is 255,0,0

PureRGB Green is 0,255,0 (a kind of skickly almost Prestone coolant green!!!)

PureRGB Blue is 0,0,255

and so on...

converted Red is 0.9945,0,0

wrench

kevin stein

:ninja: Wasnt me with the NightLightOn thing.. I never experimented with that ..

While it would be nice to have a properly backlit control panel, I don't think TK will ever get around to doing that. As it stands, I almost never fly at night, so I didn't even realize the night lighting was broken in SF2 until I read about other people having problems and confirmed it for myself. Most of the historical missions I am interested in re-creating took place in the morning/afternoon and when I am flying just for fun, I enjoy dogfighting much more when I can see :) Now, for those simulating 1990's and later combat, you had better like flying at night since the US now uses this capability to reduce losses against our not-so-night capable enemies.

Crusade: apologies! I'd always thought it was you! Now, I'm gonna wonder WHO it really was!

wrench

kevin stein

Somebody probably did it earlier, but when I first got TEH SF in early 2005 the first thing I did was examine in detail TK's Enviro. I noticed cockpit lights didn't turn on until almost total dark outside. There was a period of time where it was too dark to read guages, yet not dark enough outside where the auto-lights turn on.

Tips for sunset/twilight Environment settings

:

:

SunLightLevel....this controls many things in the sim including cockpit lighting. In each aircraft Cockpit file, we see a LightLevel setting, usually 0.25. This means the cockpit lights (and possibly airfield lights) do not come on until the light level is 0.25 or below. I need this raised as I need my pit lights not long after sunset (try 0.75). Also, the SF Moon and Stars begin to appear as the light level drops; the lower the value the more Stars appear and the brighter the Moon.

:

:

~ http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1447

Edited by Lexx_Luthor