Sign in to follow this  
Olham

A Great Fight

I know, that normally these reports belong into the "Reports from the Front" sticky thread,

and the pictures into the "Screenshots" sticky - but since everyone is so quiet here, and

because this was a special f(l)ight, I post it here, as an exception.

A Great Fight

We just took off from our airfield at Lomme/Lille, when we saw 8 - 10 Sopwith Camels overhead.

The first to get airborne, I climbed to the right, into the sun. Behind me, it was raining Camels.

Our aces Kurt Monnington and Hans Schultz got airborne; Richard Schleichardt crashed into the

trees east of the field after getting showered with hot lead.

In the now following, mad turning, I damaged four craft so much, that they merely crawled along.

I found myself fighting close to Hans Schultz, and the two of us downed no less than 5 enemy craft.

We worked together in a way, that made it almost impossible for the attackers to use their agility

to their full advantage. After a short, but intense fighting, I only landed, because I was out of ammo.

Rolling past columns of smoke and wreckages, I came to a halt by my tent.

Schultz was still out there. Through my glasses I recognised two aircraft tossing and turning about.

No other planes near them. "That must be Schultz," I thought, "turning with a Camel!"

No time for new ammo belts - I started my Albatros and rolled round to start position, gave it full

throttle and headed for the two fighters. I thought, I would just irritate the Camel pilot enough, so

Schultz could put a good burst into his kite. But I had waited a touch too long - coming closer, I saw

the Albatros going down smoking; he crashlanded it near a wood.

And now the Camel turned towards me! They were RNAS-8 pilots, and this one was determined to

seek revenge for his comrades!

I turned to get back to the field, but he caught up on me. Diving, hedgehopping, I approached the

field. The Camel came closer like a mad wasp. Looking around for any kind of help, I saw two

flights of aircraft near us, higher. One group were Hannovers, but the other were Albatros fighters!

Five D.V fighters from Bruno Loerzer's Jasta 26! If only I could catch their attention!

I headed their direction, and when I was under the flight, I zigzagged around, performing the

"dying swan". And they saw me! And down came 5 magpies, down on a single Camel! Now it was

the British pilot, who was lost! Climbing out of the furball, I watched his last fight, and I must admit,

it touched me in a way I had not thought to be possible, only minutes before.

The RNAS-8 pilot showed them all of his tricks, and he sold his skin dear! I saw an explosion and fire -

he had really managed to hit and destroy one of Loerzer's flight! What a fighter!

But now came his master - one black and white Albatros came down on him and ripped off parts of

his wings with a terrible burst. He fell the short distance to earth and crashed.

Waving to each other, the Jasta 26 boys turned for home, and so did I. The other pilots were all standing

by the field. They had watched it all through their glasses. They clapped on my shoulders, but no one

found quick words for what he just had witnessed.

Edited by Olham

Absorbing tale! good.gif

I felt like I was right there with you

Funny how you can be battling for you life one moment then sad at your opponents demise the next

Too bad he didn't make it

I'm sure you would have put out your best Schnapps for him

That must have been an exciting battle. And I really like your skin for that Alb. Red suits well both Ferraris and Albatrosses.:good:

(By the way, did you know that Ferrari got their horse emblem from the leading Italian WW1 ace, Francesco Baracca, who had it painted on his plane as his personal emblem?)

Duce, I fight my opponents determined and hard - no hesitating.

But I always felt a deep sorrow about the wrongfulness, when a good pilot

is fighting really well, but then falls prey to a superiority, being only outnumbered.

When all his talent, his energy and decidedness cannot help him anymore;

when he is a single, bleeding, battlestrained wolf, surrounded by too many hounds...

What a waste...

Yep, Hasse Wind, I know that (maybe from you, sometime earlier here?).

I think I did upload the Jasta 18 skin already. If not I'll do so tomorrow.

But I always felt a deep sorrow about the wrongfulness, when a good pilot

is fighting really well, but then falls prey to a superiority, being only outnumbered.

When all his talent, his energy and decidedness cannot help him anymore;

when he is a single, bleeding, battlestrained wolf, surrounded by too many hounds...

What a waste...

I know what you mean

Even though it's only virtual it still pulls the emotions

Guess that's one of the main reasons we're hooked

I feel quite differently when I'm on the other end

I had an epic battle with 2 Camels recently where they had me boxed

Every emotion said "get those @$%&! blighters"

I was quite indifferent to their eventual demise

But then again, I was the fox and they were the hound pack!

Wonderful account Olham. It has all the immediacy and freshness as if it had been scribbled down as you sat in your tent recovering from the fight.

Great screenies too.