Sign in to follow this  
guyran

Damage modeling and AI in SF2

I've shoot and crippled a Mig-17F, flying a Meteor.

post-44010-12737944497565.jpg

For my surprise the smoking Mig had escaped for home like nothing happened flying 0.9 mach.

post-44010-12737945023079.jpg

Dose the damage modeling is calculated into the AI in sf2?

post-44010-12737944497565.jpg

post-44010-12737945023079.jpg

TK knows how the damage is modelled - for the rest of us - keep firing until it goes down. Some jets like the SU-7 need even more punishment

It's ok in my opinion, for some time now (since FE?) the damaged AI planes flee from combat zone, as far as my memory goes long time ago (WOV) any significiant damage to enemy planes used to cause AI bailout, makes it now more realistic.

If you fly P-51D against Meteors, Vampires or Migs - make sure to deliver a lot of those 50.cal bullets to make any damage to enemy...

I was thinking the same thing...what would you do if you were damaged but your engine was running okay?

Simple, pitch out of the fight and run home via the fastest, shortest method (ie a straight line).

If your opponent has no missiles...all you have to do is get out of gun range.

FC

If you fly P-51D against Meteors, Vampires or Migs - make sure to deliver a lot of those 50.cal bullets to make any damage to enemy...

Yes you really need to spray them - quite a change!

You know, a Fagot once made it home with an undetonated Sidewinder stuck in it...

Yes you really need to spray them - quite a change!

spray&pray! also smaller caliber guns now sometimes won't ignite fuel tanks in first pass, which is nice addition combined with more deadly triple-A, at least to my eye. Also tanks armour values seem adjusted -seen T-34/85 getting two direct frontal hits from advancing M-50 to no effect, the third one finally got job done :good: nice

You know, a Fagot once made it home with an undetonated Sidewinder stuck in it...

This was the ancient prototype of the first Soviet IR missiles IIRC.

BTW

Did somebody have noticed any significant speed reduction in self or enemy crippled airplane (without engine flame-out of course)?