Sign in to follow this  
Deadhead

Turning off background programs

Can anyone please remind me of the name of the program used to turn off background applications or maybe point me to the relevant posts ? Thanks in advance cos i know someone will.

You running XP Vista or Wondows 7 ?

XP its the Task Manager

You running XP Vista or Wondows 7 ?

XP its the Task Manager

Thx m8 but its a downloadable program to safely turn off selected apps. etc i'm looking for , i seem to remember it was discussed somewhere on this site but i could EASILY bee wrong with my old memory lol.

Google 'FS autostart' it's designed for MSFS but I'm pretty sure you can choose any program to use it with. You can choose exactly what it stops and what it doesnt stop, and it tells you which ones you shouldnt stop.

Sorry I work in IT so I know what I am killing... apologies...

Giveawayoftheday has a free app called Process Lasso you must install and activate it today, 5-21-10. It also allows you to give a high priority to games. Check out the reviews and the author's comments. (Reviews are on the download page)

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Edited by pauljle

FSAutostart was the one i was thinking of , Thx for all the helpful suggestions everybody , i'll check out some of the alternatives too.

Try EndItAll.exe.. The skull and crossbones icon is very familar to me now.

Do any of these programs work with W7? I am running W7 for my opsys now and would love to turn off some stuff, even though it is not the hog Vista is / was.

ps, I partied down with the crew of Merv Griffin's yacht, The Grif, some years ago down in St. Croix, musta been around Feb of 2001. All of them were from England, and they used the word "squiffy" for everything lol. Can someone please explain exactly what it means to a dumb American??

Thanks again everyone , I actually found Enditall just after my original post and it seems to fit the bill quite nicely so I'll stick with that for now.

FYI Stingray "squiffy" USED to mean slightly drunk but maybe those guys had their own meaning . I think its also been used to mean strange or even gay but its not a commonly used word in my experience.

For general info i think FSAutostart is now called Alacrity?