Sign in to follow this  
Olham

FIFA World Cup

Hey, Flyby - you faked my quote!!! (Was there a Scottish team at all, by the way?) :grin:

Yes, Davy, Paul the Octopus is cute!

They put two clear plexiglass boxes into his Aquarium, one with a Spanish flag and one

with the German flag on cardboard. Both contain a scallop.

As soon as they sink the containers in, Paul already comes to play his game.

He holds the container with some arms, and the lid with the others, and pulls it open.

He had so far always opened the box of the later winner.

Hey, Flyby (Was there a Scottish team at all, by the way?) :grin:

Sigh ..... once upon a time.....

The modern Scottish teams special strength is finding the most obscure and convoluted mathematical formula for just failing to qualify. They've got a real talent for it. But sometimes, just now and then, they get it hoplessly wrong and end up qualifiying for stuff.

It's ok you don't know about Scottish stuff. I watch UK television here in Scotland and I don't know anything about them either.

I'd bet money if Scotland had been in South Africa, I'm sure with Scottish ingenuity you'd have got any number of bagbipes with 3 vuvuzelas sticking in the pigskin instead of the normal 3 drones. 2 to make the noise, and the third to smuggle alcoholic contraband into the football ground.

It's a bit like our Rugby. We used to have a national network of amateur teams and leagues which produced an international squad which could compete on the world stage. Thankfully we've destroyed most of that now and nowadays ship in professional ex-pats to fly the flag. It's a twist on the old saying "If you can't beat them, join them". With Scotland, you can beat us and then join us if you like, just as long as you have a great, great, great Aunt Matilda who can point out where Scotland is on a map.

No Olham..I meant either Germany or Brazil in various Finals!...lol

Netherlands vs Germany - a classical war (many there still hate us for the past).

But this kind of war is okay for me to cheer.

While this was the main opinion here in Germany, everybody was just forgetting Spain or at least treated Spain as just another loser. The Germans seem to have a habit on this, after their first victory they think the´re already champions, and that not only at football. Reality comes always to prove otherwise. I don´t want to sound bitter but I don´t like this kind of treatment either. It almost reach arrogance levels. 

As for the hate, no, I think Germans hate themselves for the past more than anyone else hates them. But maybe they´re a bit jealous of the Dutch, so small and yet a world power then, a queen and coffee shops all over!!   :grin:  What do you mean Olham??

It´s only football after all, please return to your bases gentlemen!!   :drinks:      itifonhom

itifonhom: But maybe they´re a bit jealous of the Dutch, so small and yet a world power then,

a queen and coffee shops all over!! :grin: What do you mean Olham??

Yes, maybe, iti - the Dutch seem to know how to live relaxed, and maybe we envy them for

their queen, just like the British. We only have Angela Merkel; and she often behaves as if

she was the queen of Germany.

And the coffee shops - we are developing; we seem to get more and more of them.

It wasn't arrogance so much, rather a kind of ignorance - I don't usually watch football and

I'm far from being even only a little bit of an expert. And so I simply didn't know, how good

the Spanish team was/is, until I saw them play Germany.

When I saw both teams enter the stadion, and after only some minutes, I could see and feel,

who was the dominator down there. The German boys moved in a way of deep respect for

their opponents, and I thought after some minutes only: this time we won't make it.

And the coffee shops - we are developing; we seem to get more and more of them.

i don't think he is talking about starbucks or something like this :cool:

No, of course not - they have nice "Cafés", as we call it here. And here in Berlin we have

many of them, too. Some of them bake good cakes and fine tartes, and you get various

sorts of coffees. The most famous Café here is an old place in the style of Vienna Cafés,

the "Café Einstein". A wonderful place with a lot of space, and a beautiful garden to sit

outdoors.

No, of course not - they have nice "Cafés", as we call it here. And here in Berlin we have

many of them, too. Some of them bake good cakes and fine tartes, and you get various

sorts of coffees. The most famous Café here is an old place in the style of Vienna Cafés,

the "Café Einstein". A wonderful place with a lot of space, and a beautiful garden to sit

outdoors.

a coffeeshop in the netherlands is not the same like a coffeeshop in germany, olham. it's only called coffeeshop. but that's a place where one can sit inside and buy and smoke some weed or eat space cakes etc. a place where the usage of "small" drugs is legal. of course one can also drink coffee inside, but that's not the reason to look for a cooffee shop in the netherlands.

i'm a big fan of real coffee shops, like you have discribed. in nürnberg there are also millions of them. especially in the old town. but i don't think that's what itphonhom meant.

Aaaahhhh - now I understand! :drag:

Horrah for Dutch Cafes :lol:

Does anyone know, if the "Milky Way" still exists in Amsterdam?

Does anyone know, if the "Milky Way" still exists in Amsterdam?

Melkweg

Edited by Davy TASB

Thanks, Davy - yes, Melkweg!

That brings back memories. As an art student, I was there back in 1980 or 81.

They had a stage with instruments and drum kit. You could ask for stage time,

and if it was your turn, you walked on stage with other musicians - amateurs

or semi-professionals. You could play, until the guy tolled a ship's bell - then

the next people had their turn. A great idea!

Thanks, Davy - yes, Melkweg!

That brings back memories. As an art student, I was there back in 1980 or 81.

They had a stage with instruments and drum kit. You could ask for stage time,

and if it was your turn, you walked on stage with other musicians - amateurs

or semi-professionals. You could play, until the guy tolled a ship's bell - then

the next people had their turn. A great idea!

You old hippy, you!

Freaking out to Can, Hawkwind and Tangerine Dream were you. :pleasantry:

Old: yes; hippy: maybe; Can: yes; Tangerine Dream: "Rubicon"; Hawkwind: no,

rather Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep, Procol Harum, Genesis (early), Yes, Greenslade, Eno -

oh, what a fine time that was! ...

Our musical tastes are (or were) quite similar.

I am listening to Them Crooked Vultures, Neil Young, Alice In Chains and Rammstein these days. :drinks:

Neil Young? Arrggghhh!!!

What about Blur (well, they don't exist no more, but) or Archive ("Lights"!) ?

'Ere, you leave old Neil alone. :man_in_love:

He's the biz, heres Neil freaking out with Zeppelin.

Blur... hahaha. Give over. :grin:

Never heard of Archive (Lights!)

Will check 'em out!

Back on topic...

Congratulations in advance for finishes third in the World Cup. :good:

Edited by Davy TASB

Not yet won, Davy, not yet - the boys seemed very low after their loss; but thanks anyway.

Good old Neil definitely belongs into the Olymp of the Rockstars; that I don't like his voice

doesn't mean anything. I even have a record of his music - the soundtrack to the Jarmush

movie "Dead Man" (good film; good soundtrack).

The england ref was an idiot. He allowed the final to be an absolute free kick nightmare.

The england ref was an idiot. He allowed the final to be an absolute free kick nightmare.

I thought the Ref did ok...If he had sent off the people who deserved it, Holland would have been playing with Six men!...dirty Bastards

Widowmaker,

Ag please sir. That ref killed a brilliant final. After both sides realised that the ref was trigger happy they all fell to the ground for anything. It was a real disappointment to end they final in that matter.

The Dutch players caused that. He did a reasonable job with a whole load of deliberate late fouls as they tried to kick Spain from passing. No way he could "ignore" them the speed they were coming in. Should have been down to 10 or 9 men on the pitch before half time. Loved the studs in the chest he had to ignore in the end lol. Either way think he should have pulled the captains over early on after 20 mins and told them to calm people down some, might have helped.