Sign in to follow this  
Rugbyfan1972

Question about TrackIR

Pick my brain? :yikes:

Give this one, and maybe other profiles, a try, Rugbyfan - select them

in the TrackIR setup window - it should work.

FWIW, I had the same setup problems as you, meaning I gave up trying to sort through establishing a "profile". Just too much fiddling required - and then half the time the profile was lost between operation sessions which I never did figure out a solution for.

I'm running W7 64 bit along with the TIR5 as you are. I also wear trifocals - but I now have computer glasses with just mid-range correction in the upper 2/3's of each lens and the normal 28 millimeter bifocal correction in the lower third of each lens. I posted here in another thread and the guys jumped in offering help as they are now. But after a lot of trial and error the simplest workable solution for me was to set my Speed at .8 (point 8, not 8) and Smoothness to 25. Increasing the smoothness and speed settings did lessen the amount of head movement required to see aft but it was near impossible for me to stay oriented without nausea tendancy due to the excessive, rapid changes of view forward, aft, up, down, and in between when trying to keep an enemy in view while repositioning my plane to attack again.

I ended up posting at TIR's support forum and a TIR rep replied recommending the default 1 speed and 10 smoothness settings apply in most instances, and then try lowering the speed from 1 and increasing the smoothness gradually to around the mid 20's.

Everyone's vision requirements are different and in my opinion there is no one size fits all, rather, it's trial and error until you can find a workable mix between view speed, range and in my case, nausea affects.

EDIT: I found the TIR thread I posted - but had to do with image tearing at the monitor edges as I swung my view rapidly forward and aft. Maybe you'll find something of interest in the comments..

http://combatace.com/topic/55639-trackir-image-tearing-at-monitor-edges/

Edited by Over50

FWIW, I had the same setup problems as you, meaning I gave up trying to sort through establishing a "profile". Just too much fiddling required - and then half the time the profile was lost between operation sessions which I never did figure out a solution for.

I'm running W7 64 bit along with the TIR5 as you are. I also wear trifocals - but I now have computer glasses with just mid-range correction in the upper 2/3's of each lens and the normal 28 millimeter bifocal correction in the lower third of each lens. I posted here in another thread and the guys jumped in offering help as they are now. But after a lot of trial and error the simplest workable solution for me was to set my Speed at .8 (point 8, not 8) and Smoothness to 25. Increasing the smoothness and speed settings did lessen the amount of head movement required to see aft but it was near impossible for me to stay oriented without nausea tendancy due to the excessive, rapid changes of view forward, aft, up, down, and in between when trying to keep an enemy in view while repositioning my plane to attack again.

I ended up posting at TIR's support forum and a TIR rep replied recommending the default 1 speed and 10 smoothness settings apply in most instances, and then try lowering the speed from 1 and increasing the smoothness gradually to around the mid 20's.

Everyone's vision requirements are different and in my opinion there is no one size fits all, rather, it's trial and error until you can find a workable mix between view speed, range and in my case, nausea affects.

EDIT: I found the TIR thread I posted - but had to do with image tearing at the monitor edges as I swung my view rapidly forward and aft. Maybe you'll find something of interest in the comments..

http://combatace.com...-monitor-edges/

Over50,

At the moment I would love to just have a problem with the profile, as it is at the moment, trackir will not even recognise BHAH, in fact BHAH is not even in the titles list at all, and when I left click on CFS3 to highlight it and then run BHAH the trackir will not work in the game, and the title is left blank, although the profile shows which profile I am using i.e.:

Device : TrackIR 5 #(serial number)

Profile : Olham OFF

Tile :

When I select another title say Test Drive Unlimited, and run the game it will show Test Drive Unlimited in the title bar.

Please can someone help as I have bought this specifically to use with BHAH and so far it has been an expensive disappointment. I cannot even work out how to add BHAH to the games list under advanced.

I am using software version TrackIR_5.0.Final.b if this helps.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Rugbyfan, I don't understand your problem. You DON't have to choose any profile for OFF.

What you do is this:

1. start the TrackIR program (the device should show 4 little red dots in it's little black plastic screen, when it's on)

2. choose a Profile like "default" or "smooth", or mine, for a start

3. put the cap on and check, if it works - you'll see your head moves translated on the screen.

Here you may later change values to your likes.

4. Look at the center of the screen and press the command for "Center".

5. start OFF, pick an aircraft and get to cockpit view by pressing "F4", until you sit in the crate.

TrackIR does not always react immediately; move forth and back, until you get a reaction -

now you should be there. Press "Center" again.

Make sure that you place the TrackIR command for "Center" somewhere near - best on the joystick.

You do that in the TrackIR window.

You should now be able to fly. TrackIR should get recognised by the sim.

If you found a setup you like, you can save it under a name and click "exclusive";

so it will be there at next start.

Edited by Olham

Olham,

Thank you for you help (and indeed everyone else that has offered advice), all that I was doing wrong was trying to use trackir in the default f3 view, once I pressed f4 it started working flawlessly. I now just have to get used to tracking aircraft using it.

Again thanks everyone for the help that has been given, although I now feel a prize idiot for not trying f4 myself.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Rugbyfan, let's say it like this: modern life is sometimes complicated.

It may take some time to get used to TrackIR, but don't give up - it will be great one day.

Olham,

Thank you for you help (and indeed everyone else that has offered advice), all that I was doing wrong was trying to use trackir in the default f3 view, once I pressed f4 it started working flawlessly. I now just have to get used to tracking aircraft using it.

Again thanks everyone for the help that has been given, although I now feel a prize idiot for not trying f4 myself.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Good to hear you solved the problem. Just to add, if you're like me you'll also find it useful to remember F12 as needed to re-align your TIR view while flying to find the optimum view center of your right-left, up-down cockpit and over the top wing head movement scanning.

The "Center" command of TrackIR can be put on any button of the joystick.

I find it quite helpful to have it in reach, cause I use it a lot.

I have mine programmed to the portside lower button next to the hat switch on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Works great for me.