Sign in to follow this  
Olham

OT: Something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Wow I really hated "Brothers in Fences" as I it was known by some. I hated the trigger system which was very obvious - move 1 pixel and suddenly the next scene activates and people appear. Also trying to flank an MG, mm I know I just hop over this 2 foot fence and shoot em in the back er nope. They could at least put a crashed haycart or the usual 400 crates in the way so I know it's not possible. I know you can sort of jump some fences in the 2nd one but still hated it.

I remember you could also leave your guys suppressing some enemy go answer the door, and 15 mins later come back to see the same guys shooting their 2093884 bullet at the enemy hehe.

Bad Company 2 MP is much more fun blow the crapolla out of buildings, cover etc - not WW2 though.

HL2 and addons are class for sure though came out years ago and still look good.

Wow I really hated "Brothers in Fences" as I it was known by some. I hated the trigger system which was very obvious - move 1 pixel and suddenly the next scene activates and people appear. Also trying to flank an MG, mm I know I just hop over this 2 foot fence and shoot em in the back er nope. They could at least put a crashed haycart or the usual 400 crates in the way so I know it's not possible. I know you can sort of jump some fences in the 2nd one but still hated it.

I remember you could also leave your guys suppressing some enemy go answer the door, and 15 mins later come back to see the same guys shooting their 2093884 bullet at the enemy hehe.

Bad Company 2 MP is much more fun blow the crapolla out of buildings, cover etc - not WW2 though.

HL2 and addons are class for sure though came out years ago and still look good.

Heretic!!

How can you even mention an EA Game as being anything but sh*t?

Bad Company is just plain awful!....you might as well have a 50 foot crosshair!..you only have to fire in the general vicinity of a poorly animated Commie...to shoot him!

And of course, the usual EA thing...go up to a dead body you've just put 50 rounds of 50 Cal into..and he looks like he just dropped off for a kip, after a hard night on the Fairy Cakes!...utter s**te!

And I can't see where you're coming from on the trigger bit?

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Well Hasse, there will be 2 interesating mods for ArmA II; one called Invasion 1944 and the other Wacht am Rhein.

With ArmA series, usually there's not much rambo style. It's more tactical.

http://ofp.gamepark..../inv44/gallery/

I've never actually played ArmA II. I heard about it being quite buggy or something and then forgot it completely. But I guess they've improved the game since then, so maybe I ought to take another look at it.

Heretic!!

How can you even mention an EA Game as being anything but sh*t?

Bad Company is just plain awful!....you might as well have a 50 foot crosshair!..you only have to fire in the general vicinity of a poorly animated Commie...to shoot him!

And of course, the usual EA thing...go up to a dead body you've just put 50 rounds of 50 Cal into..and he looks like he just dropped off for a kip, after a hard night on the Fairy Cakes!...utter s**te!

And I can't see where you're coming from on the trigger bit?

Pol is right Widow, he is talking about Hill30, and to some extent EIB. There are scenes that are calm, until you step into an area, then you see guys running to attack you or it triggers a movement of the enemy, whatever it may be.

Also, the fence thing is correct. They funnel you into the combat zone, or 'kill area' whereas you have no other option but to take that route. Hell's Highway is not like that, or it's not as obvious. But the surrounding scenery is so active and beautiful that you really don't notice it.

No matter what., there is only so much the devs can do with FPS games. If it's a mission type, they have to push you in a direction to keep the flow moving, otherwise it would all be arena kill games.

The worst though is the COD games. It's just mass chaos/killing without much attention to tactics. Hide behind this, shoot, run behind this, shoot... etc... etc.. I think it's annoying as hell.

OvS

Oh right...yeah, they were'nt brilliant I agree

But Hells Highway is a work of pure genius

Oh right...yeah, they were'nt brilliant I agree

But Hells Highway is a work of pure genius

Absolutely! I hope they make another, but it looks as if the WWII FPS market is dying if not dead already. :dntknw:

An obvious (actually the only sensible one remaining) choice for the next BiA game would be the Battle of the Bulge. I'll be surprised if they don't make such a game, sooner or later.

I've never actually played ArmA II. I heard about it being quite buggy or something and then forgot it completely. But I guess they've improved the game since then, so maybe I ought to take another look at it.

Yes, in the beginning, it was buggy. To be honest, their games are always buggy. But alas, they produce a unique product, a sandbox milsim, with a true AI,. It's not a corridor shooter. Their scope is quite big. Besides like OBD, the developers support their games. There's a big loyal community around them,creating thousands of mods, missions, etc. It's a world in there. You can find even a

, and as far as I know there are some people modding some WWI planes. It's a milsim with a focus in infantry actions. Because it's a open world, you can pilot tanks, planes, bikes, cars, etc. It's a flight simulator or a tank simulator? No.

After one year of patches (each month there are several beta patches) ArmA II it's running well. The new stand alone expansion, Operation Arrowhead, is already being patched. Of course because of it's nature, it's a little demanding in term of PC specs; I won't lie that while it takes full advantage of having a full quad, you can play it with a good Core2Duo. Why not test it with a demo?

ArmA II demo here and ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead here.

A video made by a fan with ArmA II

It can be pretty chaotic sometimes. Usually mistakes like this and you'll have a payback.

Although I don't play such FPS, I must say: these videos and ArmA2 are very impressing!

So how do you get all this for AA? Is it a free game like it used to be? Wasn't it a 'trainer' for the US Army at one point?

Looks like a good game though.

OvS

ArmA was never a free game. Only the mods are free.

Only there are hundreds of mods. There's an organized development mod community around ArmA and BIS products.

Look at here and see what the community created, missions, models, tools, etc in the last couple of days.

http://www.armaholic.com/

Everyday there's something new.

BIA which is a branch of BIS sells VBS (virtual Battle Simulator) to some armies around the world, including the USMC, Australian Defense Force, British Army, US Army, etc.

VBS is the professional version of ArmA.

Some time ago, the UK MoD released a VBS-Jcove Lite, a limited version of the real-deal VBS2 the British forces use for training. There's also a free version with US Army called VBS2 US Army Lite. You can google to download both of them.

This is not a simple FPS. It's Tactical FPS, a military simulator. Not all video game players will like it.

Edited by Von Paulus

Another video.

And when you join a squad you can play co-op in a organized manner.

An example:

Don't get me wrong UK_W I hate the 30-rounds-to-kill in BC2, (hardcore is better) I'm more a 1 round, maybe 2 if you are lucky = your out of it/dead man. Ghost Recon (the first one only!), Operation Flashpoint (1st one, 2nd one is pants), Rainbow6:Ravenshield, all great and harsh - do something stupid you are dead games. I just mean for battlefield recreation BC2 is good fun not it's "realistic" - it is certainly not realistic, and BIA definitely isn't either by a long shot, but looks good in places.

Arma II really appeals as it's my kind of game, like Ghost Recon you can go where you like and attack from where you like, when you like. I bought and installed it when it came out, and it looked really awful on my good vid card for some reason, others had same issues, but may give it another go with patches.

Arma II really appeals as it's my kind of game, like Ghost Recon you can go where you like and attack from where you like, when you like. I bought and installed it when it came out, and it looked really awful on my good vid card for some reason, others had same issues, but may give it another go with patches.

You should Pol. After one year of patches there are less bugs, the engine it's a little more optimized, specially in terms of CPU. Besides now you have ACE mod, which is a must.

I never had much problems with ArmA, but there were some people complaining. But I'm used to that. It was like that when Operation Flashpoint was launched and with the First ArmA.

All this is pretty amazing. When the first xbox came out I purchased it, and along with it Ghost Recon 1, Rainbow 6 and other games I can't remember. I enjoyed them. But it is so realistic now, I find it hard. Guess what it is, I've been looking for another game to supplement OFF and FSX ( the latter of which I dont do much anymore) and after looking at many, many videos during the last weeks have shyed away from the first person shooter type. A look at the Brothers In Arms Highway To Hell really floored me and it hit home for some darn reason when I thought of my father who really went thru hell in 1944 and 1945. He was with the 100th Infantry division (not the famed 101) but was in a number of lesser famous battles. One was near the village or town of Bitche, France. Thus, all the liberators of his division were from them on a member of the society called" Sons of Bitche". But I just can't bring myself to try a game (sim) however it should be called when my father went thru the real thing with a BAR rifle . It is almost like it would be disrespectful. yet , I can put myself in an F-16 (Falcon 4.), OFF, SH3 and SH4, , Battle of Britain and any other simulation and not have a problem with it. Its been interestesting looking at many of these, like Left 4 Dead, Stalker, Metro 2033. I am not judging or wanting to start a conversation about the morality of these games. I have seen much of it, but just have to wonder about our entertainment ? I've settled for the time being and ordered DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) Black Shark. A helicopter combat sim that for the total price of about $24.00 US should keep my hand eye coordination in check for OFF. A bit different and a small following, but great it appears if you like copters. http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

I cannot understand how you could be disrespectful with your father by playing BIA or any other foot soldier sim.

Well I understand what you mean, but... disrespectful. War is such a personal experience and all these "sims" cannot portrait it. And even if they could do it, I still don't see why. You're are also not able to understand fully you father experience, unless you've been through the same. And even there, it could be just different.

You would disrespect your father more if you were a thief, a dishonest or a lier than just playing, and in the end obtain some pleasure, with a WWII infantry simulator. But that's just my opinion. I respect your.

Anyway DCS is the best Heli simulator so far. It's a good choice, Ras.

I cannot understand how you could be disrespectful with your father by playing BIA or any other foot soldier sim.

Well I understand what you mean, but... disrespectful. War is such a personal experience and all these "sims" cannot portrait it. And even if they could do it, I still don't see why. You're are also not able to understand fully you father experience, unless you've been through the same. And even there, it could be just different.

You would disrespect your father more if you were a thief, a dishonest or a lier than just playing, and in the end obtain some pleasure, with a WWII infantry simulator. But that's just my opinion. I respect your.

Anyway DCS is the best Heli simulator so far. It's a good choice, Ras.

Maybe disrespectful was not the best choice of words. I just don't know how to say it. As with most veterans that fought in any war, they hardly speak of it. I only know a few things, that he was wounded, that he spent 27 days straight in a foxhole and that alone must have been hell. I served in the USAF in 1967- thru 71 and though I was not in Vietnam, I lost two of my best friends in Nam. That alone was hell enough for me. Again, not wanting to judge our perspective, I like gore and blood to a degree and a great story line, its just that anything in WW2 (other than a flight simulation) for me doesn't feel right. I look forward to blowing away some tanks, sams, and etc. with the Black Shark helicopter Like I said, that doesn't bother me at all... guess I saw the videos of BIA and put my father in the place of those men and I should not have. I am just trying to be honest and know that many of you understand that. Guess I'll just sit back and lurk for a while.