Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

How would you handle this?

Today on shift, I'm posted on a perimeter patrol, where we do periodic exterior and interior perimeter checks. Addition to this, me and my partner are responsible for lowering the flag at end of day, respond to any calls that may occure during shift, and assisting with other assigned posts and patrols where needed. So we can become kind of busy if things pick up quite a bit. So today we first had to respond to a fire alarm that was trigered by the heat wave that we are experincing in SoCal. After that was completed, we conducted an exterior perimeter. Once that was done, we had to go to the gate to temporarily relieve the lead member to take care of some supply issues. Then we had to respond to the desk to prepare to lower the flag for end of day. Once completed (and we had to re-fold the flag because it was kind of done sloppily), we conducted an interior perimeter check. Now after we had completed that, my partner had to drop off some distro for one of our members up at the main gate who was off for the day. While there, the lead member at the post pulls me aside in private, inside the gate shack and chews me out for not checking up on him in a frequent manner (now mind you, he is partnered up, he is a TSgt, there are two other patrols posted 100 meters in front of him at the vehicle inspection facility - who are doing nothing but watching DVDs since it's a slow day). I ask him why does he not advise over the radio that he needs a quick relief or a check up? He responds back saying that he shouldn't have to and that me being as an NCO, I should automatically frequently check up on him - disregarding the fact that we had already been up to his post about 90 minutes prior, and we also dropped off a soda bottle for his partner - who was also a TSgt. He continues on, stating that I'm not putting in a good effort as a NCO by failing to check up on him (btw, I should state that the FC has mentioned during our guardmounts that if we need a relief, we shouldn't hesitate to CALL it in over the radio - which this guy does not do). I advise him that his accusations are rediculous, uncalled for, that he is mis-using his authority and rank in this matter, and that this conversation is done and over with. I go and open up the sliding door to the shack to walk out and he immediately slams it shut, pushes me aside, grabs my arm, and cusses me out. Now, this guy also practices martial arts and suffers from ADHD and takes the meds for it. So I was kind of on the verge of crapping myself when he did this. At that point I immediate notify the desk via landline, advising of the situation, that I'm under duress and need assistance. The desk sergeant then asks to speak with this TSgt and after that I am able to leave the post (not without the TSgt trying to back pedal and re-explain to me what he was trying to say - and at this point I'm just humoring him to get the F out of there). Once I leave, I notify my supervisor of what happened (oh, and the best part about this, the TSgt. is my supervior's supervisor). So my sup doesn't want me to immediately file a statement on this, that he will talk to this TSgt and hopefully "squash" the matter from here on out. Although, everybody else wants me to file a statement. This sup is new to our element and I don't want to just push him aside, in an act that pretty much would say that I have no faith in him. However, this isn't the first time that this TSgt has done something like this, and he is taking medication for ADHD (and from what I understand, he isn't supposed to be working on flight while taking those meds because they are known to cause folks to snap - just like this). So what should I do? Let my sup handle this, or write up a statement? I've pretty much stated that I do not want to work with this individual anymore, and would rather change flights or elements to avoid further contact with him. This is a first for me in this unit (infact the Air Force itself in the past 5 years of serving) in which I've been in a physical altercation with someone. I know on the active duty side, this would warrant an Article 15. However, this isn't an AD base, and it kind of operates a bit differently because of that. So saying that, I have no desire to see someone's carreer get tossed down the drain. However, I have zero tolerance for someone using unjustified physical force on me to gain submission to their will. So, your advices please.

Edited by serverandenforcer

if this is the first time let you guys's supervisor handle it quietly like he seems to want to. if it is not file the formal complaint. if it isnt the first time then its being covered up and the douchebag needs a formal lesson not a talking to. as for your handling so far i say good job. i would have told him off espescially at the point of grabbin my arm. prob would have pulled weapon with that knowledge of blackbelt. prob why i'm a cook and restricted to knife fighting:lol:

Do the 1168. Get this on record at the very least. He has no reason to touch you ever unless its to save your life.

I'd agree with Dave...document, document, document. A lot of times the reason something doesn't get fixed is because there is a lack of a paper trail. In addition, your willingness to document the incident may motivate him to get the help he needs. This kind of stuff needs to be noted early and fixed early.

Too often, there have been warning signs that have been 'let go', which results in escalation and bad things later.

FC