Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

Interceptor tactics

I have been trying out Su-9 and Su-11 Fishpot series interceptors and learning how to fly them. They are armed with the AA-3 Anab (R-98) air-to-air missile.

After flying several intercept missions I have come to the conclusion the Anab is essentially useless. Even short range attacks from 6 o'clock are just a waste of time - especially with the radar guided version. I have given the missile time after getting a radar lock to track the target, but no joy. They most often seem to go ballistic. At least the IR version tracks, but I haven't scored more than one or two hits on B-52s. The Buffs even seem to shoot them down on several occasions. I think the only way to acheive a kill would be to fly up to the target, pop my canopy and try to physically jam one of the missiles up the tailpipe!

I know early missiles were of limited effectiveness, but this is just ridiculous! I got better performance out of AA-1 Alkali's. Without internal guns, that just leaves harsh language.

PS. The B-52s fly a weird crisscrossing pattern and cover each other with their cannon - more effectively than I was expecting! Is this a standard tactic, or is the AI just getting creative?

I have also learned not to dogfight in an interceptor. In one mission I closed on a flight of four Sabres. After achieving a lock I fired an Anab - to no good effect. Then the Sabres broke and I tried to turn with them to go for another attack. That was a bad plan! They were all over me! Even though I was faster, they could out-turn me and I was in trouble. I realised I was playing to my weaknesses and not my strengths so I used my speed to power away from them. Lesson learned. Interceptors do a fast pass and missile attack then dive away out of trouble. No dogfighting.

post-56577-017962300 1286806613.jpg

Night intercept mission in an Su-11 Fishpot fighter interceptor.

I believe the BUFFS have very powerful ECM which could be thwarting the Anab missile-coz in WOI with the Su-15 I pretty much own the sky so long as I dont get into a turning dogfight. Of course the tables are turned with the Phantom because then I'm no longer in the superior aircraft.

As for the BUFF tactic its little too close for comfort for real life. Against them try frontal attacks or side on slashes. And try the Flagon...it will blow your mind if you like steelbirds.

I usually attak BUFF's with 2 IR Anab's and fire both at one target from a short range thats if am in a FLAGON.

I once had luck with Atoll-D I fired one from a very short range it went right into the left engine and BOOOM.... it splits the left wing and the BUFF went down in flame....!!!!

remember one thing u have to be really fast so the gunners wont get u, lock on the BUFF then fire from a close range so the missile seeker wont get fooled by the flares, aim for the inner engines not the tail so when it explodes it will make a huge damage to the wing this way u bring the BUFF down in a spin :D

Enjoy :)

it sucks because i always get shot down

the early versions of both missiles were really bad as far as tracbatterking gos for the IR missiles u got to get in close dir from behind and lock onto a good heat sorces.

batter to try hit and run on the enemy fighteers and the buff try using just IR missiles i think two will take them down easy just watch out for those 20mm guns on thethere eat u up tail ...lol!)

and remember to be pointing up then to come on at them from level flight the ground wont interfaeer with the radar guid missiles as much even with the ECM.

I have been trying out Su-9 and Su-11 Fishpot series interceptors and learning how to fly them. They are armed with the AA-3 Anab (R-98) air-to-air missile.

After flying several intercept missions I have come to the conclusion the Anab is essentially useless. Even short range attacks from 6 o'clock are just a waste of time - especially with the radar guided version. I have given the missile time after getting a radar lock to track the target, but no joy. They most often seem to go ballistic. At least the IR version tracks, but I haven't scored more than one or two hits on B-52s. The Buffs even seem to shoot them down on several occasions. I think the only way to acheive a kill would be to fly up to the target, pop my canopy and try to physically jam one of the missiles up the tailpipe!

I know early missiles were of limited effectiveness, but this is just ridiculous! I got better performance out of AA-1 Alkali's. Without internal guns, that just leaves harsh language.

PS. The B-52s fly a weird crisscrossing pattern and cover each other with their cannon - more effectively than I was expecting! Is this a standard tactic, or is the AI just getting creative?

I have also learned not to dogfight in an interceptor. In one mission I closed on a flight of four Sabres. After achieving a lock I fired an Anab - to no good effect. Then the Sabres broke and I tried to turn with them to go for another attack. That was a bad plan! They were all over me! Even though I was faster, they could out-turn me and I was in trouble. I realised I was playing to my weaknesses and not my strengths so I used my speed to power away from them. Lesson learned. Interceptors do a fast pass and missile attack then dive away out of trouble. No dogfighting.

post-56577-017962300 1286806613.jpg

Night intercept mission in an Su-11 Fishpot fighter interceptor.

One pass and haul ass. Good axiom for interceptor folks..........

traducir a ingles para leerlo:

buena historia, pero te aconsejo usar el su 15 flagon o mig21, estos traen misiles atoll guiados por calor, en un dogfight te recomiendo usar atoll y la ametralladora que es el arma mas efectiva.

pero para mi gusto el mig 23 flogger puede realizar exitosas misiones de intercepcion.