Sign in to follow this  
jamieandnici

Le Prieur rockets very unrealistic

I went on a aerodrome attacking spree today in my trusty 54 Squadron RFC Sopwith Pup. I decided to carry 8 of the Le Prieur rockets to give me some hope at least of hitting a Hun target and setting the odd tent or two on fire as one Vickers machine gun is practically inadequate and useless against such large adversity. Anyway, when I fired my 4 salvos into the unsusepcting German hangars and tents I was astounded to find that each of these small rockets are equivalent to a modern day 105mm howitzer shell!! I mean they practically blew the enemy airfield apart!! I couldn't believe the damage these little firecrackers caused, not alone to think that something that size could create an explosion like that. I mean, when I looked at these little fireworks strapped onto my Pups struts I initially thought, Oh well, at least they may help me in my attack a little bit!! I went on Wikipedia to look up these rockets but only found that they were accurate to 125 yards. Personally I think the damage values of these little things are well over the top and wondered if the OFF team or anyone else out there can rejig the damage stats for these and to bring the values down? J.

Edited by jamieandnici

Yes it's a well known thing - it's a global CFS3 setting, I can't remember the reason why we didn't change it, but if we can, and we get the time then of course we'd love to make it better.

Real Le Prieur would be *almost* useless against anything so in fact you wouldn't bother to take em most of the time (even on a balloon busting where they are almost useful ;) ) - the real ones were so innaccurate so that's debatable. So taken them for fun, or leave them behind for realism.

You mean this craft - a Hansa Brandenburg D.I which carries a Schwarzlose MG on it's "shoulders"?

Greetings All,

Been out on the road for the last week and have a little time this AM to get caught up. I didn't realize the rest of you OFF'ers were still using the OEM rockets. I dialed them down many moons ago and thought this info had been shared with the rest of you; my apologies. If you go into your LePrieur weapons folder, (the path looking something like this: C:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\weapons\OFF_LePrieur_rocket ) and replace the XDP file named: OFF_Leprieur_rocket with the following one, (be sure to make a copy of your original before you do this so you can go back to it if you choose to):

OFF_Leprieur_rocket.rar

You will have a much more realistic WWI rocket, and even eight direct hits on a large hanger won't do much more than punch holes in the canvas and leave some burn marks.

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks Lou it will help jamieandnici. Unfortunately for us they will still be "wrong" as the reason we didn't change them is that this only effects the explosive damage. Real LePrieur were of course also very innaccurate (so some would fly off in a different direction) and somewhat unlreliable. The xdp settings get overridden when you change accuracy and range (both too high currently) - this is hard coded in CFS3 weapons. So we left them as is because many people enjoyed blowing things up with them ;). Note the Ford car can be fitted with them in QC ;)

However as always if we can get them to behave correctly we will.

Thanks Lou it will help jamieandnici. Unfortunately for us they will still be "wrong" as the reason we didn't change them is that this only effects the explosive damage. The xdp settings get overridden when you change accuracy and range (both too high currently) - this is hard coded in CFS3 weapons.

Not intending to sound rude, but if things can be made significantly better, why not do it? We maybe can't get to 'perfect', but that is no reason in my mind not to move in the direction of 'much better' .

So we left them as is because many people enjoyed blowing things up with them ;)

I think the bulk of the people playing the game are looking for a simulation that is as close to real as possible and I hope realism wins out when the developers are faced with these decisions. Nevertheless, I agree that there are probably some other players who want the 'hollywood' version and so its a dilema. The solution of giving people choices via workshop settings has worked great for other aspects of the game, so maybe that is the way to go with rockets too?

Never seen a locomotive being blown up here yet - is it possible? Screenshots, please!

I have destroyed many trucks with the guns, too. I have never tried a train yet.

Without rockets though, I may just put a few exhaust holes into the locomotive - not more than slowing it down slightly.

I may have to start another Entente campaign, to get my own rockets.

Not intending to sound rude, but if things can be made significantly better, why not do it? We maybe can't get to 'perfect', but that is no reason in my mind not to move in the direction of 'much better' .

Of course 77Scout, as most people know from the many options and good things, that's what we try to do where possible. However obviously P3 is done. So for the moment use the simple mod Lou has kindly provided if it bugs you.

We did spend time trying various settings for rockets trying to get the proper behaviour (including direction, range, reliablity and other traits) but as it could not be done properly and a fair bit of time was spent we left the status quo. Many people liked them to have some fun with them. Did I mention you can attach them to the Ford for a totally unrealistic bit of fun? :)

It is not such a large issue - if a player wants to be totally realistic then do not attack anything other than balloons with them anyway. Power makes no difference to killing the balloon.

Of course we shall revist for Phase 4.

jamieandnici wrote:

Lou you're a Godsend!! Thanks for the .Rar will definately use.

You are more than welcome Sir.

Pol wrote:

Thanks Lou it will help jamieandnici. Unfortunately for us they will still be "wrong" as the reason we didn't change them is that this only effects the explosive damage. Real LePrieur were of course also very innaccurate (so some would fly off in a different direction) and somewhat unlreliable. The xdp settings get overridden when you change accuracy and range (both too high currently) - this is hard coded in CFS3 weapons. So we left them as is because many people enjoyed blowing things up with them ;). Note the Ford car can be fitted with them in QC ;)

However as always if we can get them to behave correctly we will.

Apologies Sir if I indicated my file was anything more than a dialing down of the damage abilities of the LePrieur rocket. I haven't an inkling of the inner mechanics of CFS3 and am sure you devs have done all you can working within it's many limitations. Just trying to be helpful within my narrow range of knowledge on the subject.

No problem Lou the file will help for sure. I wasn't having a go, just trying to explain to the guys what we wanted to do ultimately and hence why it was as is for P3.

Of course 77Scout, as most people know from the many options and good things, that's what we try to do where possible. However obviously P3 is done. So for the moment use the simple mod Lou has kindly provided if it bugs you.

Hi Pol, thanks for the additional explaination. I had interpreted your earlier comment about not fixing the rockets unless they could be made totally correct as applying to upcoming Phase 4, but see now that you were actually talking about Phase 3 so all makes sense. Thanks again.