Sign in to follow this  
CW3SF

Help me design my NEW computer--- please

Most of you out there know a whole lot more about computers than I ever will--- so a little help please.

My current one is a "monarch" built in 04 just before they went "wheels up".

Question 1, Who should build it ( NOT ME for sure). Currently thinking about Falcon NW.

Question 2. We are fulltime RVers ( for the past 18 years) and haul our 5th wheel 800 miles

between Arizona and Colorado twice a year. The past two computers have worked fine,

however I am wondering just how sturdy a "liquid cooling" would be during the move.

Think of it as about a low grade earthquake of about 20 hours twice a year.Do not need any leaks

inside my rig, but am sure with what I want in the way of Video cards and such fans won't do the job.

More to follow I am sure,and thanks in advance for your input.

CW3SF

You didn't mention what your price point would be. But since you're not building it yourself, for my two cents' worth, I'd recommend finding a locally owned and operated computer store (something other than Best Buy). I've got a store near me that builds different levels of machines for not much more than the retail cost of the parts. The real bonus is that the only software they add are the OS, one benchmarking program and possibly one of the hot, newer games that come with the video card (i.e., Starcraft, CivilizationV). That means there are no 30-day trials of Norton, MS Works, McAfee, AOL, etc that I have to spend days de-crapifying off of the machine. Here's an example of what they do for just under $1,200 (this may be from an old add, there's no date on it):

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66/4.8GT/S

Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333 Corsair

Video: HD5830 PCIE 1GB

Sound: Integrated 7.1

LAN: 10/100/1000

Hard Drive: 500GB SATA 2

DVD: DVD+/-RW 22x

Case/PS: GX 690CM/ 650W PS

Since you use it in your RV, I'd recommend that you upgrade the DVD by adding a BluRay so you can watch some movies on it as well.

I have built my own PC's and I have bought PC's in the past and the best deals that I ever got was from this company: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Since buying from them the first time several years ago, I have kept coming back to them sence they offer the "best bang for the buck" out of all the PC sites that I checked before buying and I have had zero problems with any of their PC's that I bought.

As you can tell, they can build you just about any PC combo that you desire and a very, very reasonable price.

Hi CW3SF...some good ideas above as to who should build a machine for you - I build all my own so I couldn't comment a lot on other alternatives (just that, in my own opinion, avoid the Best Buy retail-type places, stick with a local "brick and mortar" small shop...also I don't receommend 'name brands' - Dells, Gateways, HPs, just my opinion).

As for your cooling question - I think you could be fine "on air" (just fans), depending on how crazy this machine gets...but there are some good after-market heatsink/fan combinations that are quiet, reliable and do a better job than stock by far. One thing, though, if you go with a heatsink/fan, watch the weight and height of the overall unit - most of these aftermarket units are heavy (often lots of/even solid copper). And the taller it is (off the mainboard), then it's more weight 'sprung' against the board mounts. All boards have limits on how much they can be flexed, and a (recommended) maximum amount of weight for the heatsink/fan.

If you decide to go liquid, I don't think you'd have much to worry about, assuming good quality guts are used and secured properly at install-time. You might check on some of the 'quiet' PC sites, as well as the overclockers' sites, for liquid hardware reviews/recommendations.

In either case, what you should consider is a 'dampening' rig for your PC in the RV. Could be a foam-lined container for when it's not being used, or maybe some fancy silicon bushings for the chassis 'feet', or the desk your PC will sit on...whatever you do, dampening is a vital part of making mobile electronics run problem-free. (I am a former US Navy Avionics tech).

Good Luck, whatever you wind up doing :)

If you have your heart set on liquid cooling, which is only really necessary if you plan on overclocking your CPU, I can heartily recommend the item you'll find in the following link. http://www.corsair.c...70/default.aspx

It's a sealed unit. The chances of it springing a leak are extremely remote.....even during a nuclear attack.

Hit the Awards and Reviews link on the main page there. The feedback pretty much speaks for itself.

Btw.....I'm running an i7-920 overclocked to 4 Ghz with the H50 Cooler, and it does an outstanding job.

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

I went through this same thing about five months ago and sought advice from this board. I looked seriously at ibuypower and cyberpower but in the end, took jarhead's and others advice and had one built for me locally. I didn't think I'd find someone local as I am off the beaten path, but sure enough there is someone here who is very talented. I showed them the prices from both ibuypower and cyberpower and they were able to build the same system for slightly less. Plus, no shipping and I can run it back if it needs to be tweaked.

I was looking at a liquid cooled system as well, but in the end went with a well ventilated case and extra large capacity fans. I have had no problems at all with heat and I'm running an Intel i7-980X Extreme 3.33GHZ overclocked to 4.56GHZ. You didn't mention price and that is really a factor. I spent about $3000 and have the best PC I've ever owned; lightning fast and for the first time ever I can play OFF. I waited a long time too, been following this sim since it's start, back before it was even called OFF.

CPU: Intel Core i7-980X Extreme overclocked to 4.56GHZ Memory: 12GB DDR3 Crucial

Video: EVGA GTX470

Power: 850 Watt Corsair CMPSU850TX

Sound: Integrated 8 channel

Mother Board: ASUS P6X58D-E

Boot Drive: 80G Intel X25-M SSD

Data Drive: 1TB WD

DVD: DVD+/-RW 24x Lightscribe

Tamper and Cody Coyote offer excellent advice about having it built locally. Monarch was outstanding in that respect. Check out some local, reputable shops and inquire about building your system with you observing and taking notes. It may cost a few dollars more, but in the long run, you'll have gained some invaluable experience about the products used, pros and cons that any builder must decide on, wiring and properly setting up the system's bios. Call it: Computer Shop 101. The "educational expense" will be well worth it. You'll find that having done so, you'll be much more knowledgeable and competent when it comes time to scratch that upgrade itch.

Happy shopping!

plug_nickel