Sign in to follow this  
KJakker

F-86D/L Rocket Tray.

Now i'm just thinking loud here. But maybe this line in the avionic ini BoresightElevation=-2.0 should be changed to the rocket boresight settings? since that is a negative number against the positive number on the rocket boresight..

Maybe AI use radar to aim this? instead of visual

I think the avionics.ini files aren't used by the AI at all.

I am becoming more and more of the opinion that the FM has to be changed to increase accuracy. I set up the exact same mission, but using the Lightning instead of the F-103 and they ripped into the Tu-22s like butter. I noticed that they tended to be nose down though...firing in a straight line.

FC

I think the avionics.ini files aren't used by the AI at all.

I am becoming more and more of the opinion that the FM has to be changed to increase accuracy. I set up the exact same mission, but using the Lightning instead of the F-103 and they ripped into the Tu-22s like butter. I noticed that they tended to be nose down though...firing in a straight line.

FC

I forgot to mention that when I did the test I mentioned above I had updated the rocket using Booster and Sustainer data from the MMHE1 in the F-89 update pack (see below) and I noticed that it made it easier for me to get my rounds on target but did not really help the AI a whole lot. On another point a lot of my flight is getting shot down by defensive fire from the bombers gunners. They keep closing well into cannon range to launch there rocket and when they miss are finding themselves unarmed in the middle of a formation of bombers. Is there a value/entry that could be modified to make them shoot from farther out and disengage after expending all ammo?

I tested the Lightning F.2a in the same mission as the F-86L and they preformed similarly as far as firing their rockets is concerned lunching from either too low, and due to not having a sustainer modeled, in the MIRCO2 data entry, beyond effective range. I am going to add a sustainer like and try it again. The saving grace is that the Lightning has a pair of 30mm Cannons that the F-86L lacks so my flight shot down over half the bombers with guns.

[WeaponData001]
TypeName=Mk4_MightyMouse_RP
FullName=Mighty Mouse FFAR
ModelName=Mk4_MightyMouse
Mass=7.000000
Diameter=0.069800
Length=1.440000
AttachmentType=
SpecificStationCode=Saber_RT
NationName=
StartYear=0
EndYear=0
Availability=0
BaseQuantity=0
Exported=FALSE
ExportStartYear=0
ExportEndYear=0
ExportAvailability=0
WeaponDataType=1
RailLaunched=FALSE
RocketPod=TRUE
Retarded=FALSE
FinStabilized=TRUE
SpinStabilized=TRUE
HasGrowl=TRUE
EffectClassName=SmallRocketEffects
ReleaseDelay=0.000000
WarheadType=0
Explosives=2.721550
FusingDistance=2.500000
ClusterBomblets=0
ClusterDispersion=0.000000
GuidanceType=0
Accuracy=70
MaxTurnRate=0.000000
MaxLaunchG=2.500000
LockonChance=0
LaunchReliability=70
ArmingTime=2.000000
SeekerFOV=0.000000
SeekerGimbleLimit=0.000000
SeekerTrackRate=0.000000
SeekerRange=0.000000
MinLaunchRange=0.000000
MaxLaunchRange=0.000000
Duration=60.000000
CounterCountermeasure=20.000000
NoiseRejection=20.000000
CapabilityFlags=0x10000002
BoosterStart=0.000000
BoosterDuration=1.100000
BoosterAccel=122.449997
BoosterEffectName=RocketFireEffect
BoosterSoundName=Rocket
BoosterNodeName=
BoosterPosition=0.000000,-0.730000,0.000000
SustainerDuration=2.200000
SustainerAccel=122.449997
SustainerEffectName=
SustainerSoundName=Rocket
SustainerPosition=0.000000,-0.730000,0.000000
InFlightEffectName=RocketInFlightEffect
InFlightSoundName=
ReleaseAnimationID=1
ReleaseAnimationTime=0.000000
ReleaseAnimationDelay=0.000000
EODisplayFlags=0
CEP=0.000000AirToAir=TRUE 

Well, Il've been doing more tests. I've definitely found that the 'flatter' the attackers are (ie faster) the more accurate they are. When my F-103s would come in at supersonic speed to attack, they would get more hits and survive more. If they were slow on the other hand...it got ugly.

I think I'm going to have to tweak the FM for these guys to be effective at all.

Also, you mentioned that they close to gun range. That actually doesn't surprise me....I've read that air to air rockets were notoriously inaccurate, resulting in having to get to close range to minimize drift.

FC

Okay, more testing.

It's definitely the FM.

I modified the 'zero AOA' and 'AOA' lift factors to make the aircraft pitch attitude 'flatter' through more of it's flying speed range and immediately noticed a marked improvement in both AAM use (the old AIM-4s) and FFAR use. The AAM immediately improved...my 16 F-103s vs 6 Tu-22s which if you were lucky might result in 4 Tu-22 kills after ALL weapons were expended went to 6 Tu-22s dead in 2 minutes with AAMs only.

In my larger 32 F-103s vs 12 Tu-22s scenario with FFARs only, the kill ratios also went up, though as the aircraft runs got faster (Mach 1.4+), the F-103s started aiming long! But I also saw some remarkable kills, including one sideways pass kill and a HEAD ON kill. I was frankly astonished at both...

Anyway, it's definitely the FM...it needs to be tweaked and the lift curves adjusted so that during a lot of the typical speed range of the attacks, the AOA is minimal.

FC