Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

I Know What I'm Getting For Christmas!

Greetings All,

This morning my lovely wife and I were sitting around talking about Christmas and what we should give each other this year when she noted once again, (and rightly so), how hard I am to shop for as she can never find something I might like, and when I do give her ideas it's always for things like old out-of-print books and other items impossible to find. I said that it was really fine and that she did not need to find me anything, but if she really did wish to give me a gift I might want, (not "need" mind you, just "want"), all she had to do was look at my saved items list at Abebooks or eBay or the like and pick some little thing from one of those. So, she told me to open up my laptop and show her one of the lists. I thought that was funny, but I obliged and brought up my eBay watching page. She looked at it briefly, then smacked her finger down onto one of the listings and said, "That one. It has a 'Buy It Now', so buy it now and that will be your gift from me this year." Then she smiled and announced she had her Christmas shopping done and could relax. I thought she was kidding, but she was not. Here is what that marvelous lady is giving me this season:

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_01.jpg

It is a reportedly original RFC flying cap that came from a family in England who claimed to have had it in their possession since WWI as it belonged to one of their relatives who was an RFC flyer, (though they offered no more information than that). Along with the cap is a nearly brand new looking set of Triplex goggles they said were kept with the cap but they were not sure if the goggles were used by the same relative who wore the cap. Here are a few more photos of this outstanding set:

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_02.jpg

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_03.jpg

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_05.jpg

Here is the interior of the cap showing the blanket lining:

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_06.jpg

Here's a close-up of one of the button snaps on the cap:

RFC_Cap_and_Goggles_07.jpg

These look to be in as fine a condition as one could hope for, and it honestly doesn't matter to me if they really are as old as WWI or not, (though from the design, details, and construction they appear to be very close and I am already starting to research them).

What a wonderful gift from a wonderful woman. But now my problem is, what on God's Green Earth am I going to give her?! :blink:

Lou

Lou, you have a wonderful woman - and I think you deserve it.

Now I don't know if she has that typical female weak spot, but if so, you may drive with her to

the nearest bigger city, and let her choose some extravagant shoes for a dancing evening.

And then you must of course go out to dance with her.

Those men who don't like dancing may find that bit hard - but you got such a special gift -

I think you'd have to.

Here is something you may get for yourself for Christmas - a "Blue Max" Replica that looks quite good.

http://cgi.ebay.de/R...=item53e537a9b7

PS/Edit: ...although: it only looks perfect in the upper picture - the lower ones have a darker blue.

Edited by Olham

Thanks Gents. The anticipation of waiting for these to arrive in the post is making me feel like a kid at Christmas...which I guess I am at heart...and it is. :biggrin:

Also, I am narrowing in on my wife's gift, and it involves precious metals and gemstones.

Then it can't be a Pour-le-Merite - no gemstones on that order. :grin:

hee, hee...no Herr Olham, it won't be a PLM, though she certainly deserves a medal for putting up with me.

Sounds Expensive old chap... but from your point of view worth every nickel penny schilling etc...