Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

RF-100A 'Slick Chick'

wow...! its the first time i hear about this bird... ur right when u said "You learn something new everyday"

keep up the good work

There was an article in Combat Aircraft Monthly about them a few months back, I'll see if I can dig up some info.

There was an article in Combat Aircraft Monthly about them a few months back, I'll see if I can dig up some info.

That would be cool!

I lied, looks like it's in storage/another magazine...

i had that magazine tho i don't remember where its gone to. after the U-2 became operational they were given to Taiwan where a couple were shot down. i believe one out of 6 was lost to an accident, and all were given false serial nums while in USAFE at least one of which i recall being a ser. num for an F-89C! can give more info this weekend after the move, when i can dig out my century series book and get mor details. the mod looks sharp as always though:good:

Found it! It's in the December 2009 Flypast. Let me know what kind of info you might need.

Found it! It's in the December 2009 Flypast. Let me know what kind of info you might need.

I've released it (as a placeholder really) but I'd be interested in reading a bit more about it. Thanks.

Something I've been thinking about is Early Cold War Overflights 1950-1956: symposium proceedings (2003) About 400 pages! :good:

A review of the proceedings book here ~> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3101/is_2_51/ai_n29100074/?tag=content;col1

:

:

The volumes reveal, clarify, and document an incredible amount of material including some previously appearing in various books and magazine and newspaper articles only as tantalizing footnotes or unsubstantiated reports. These include the RF-100A "Slick Chick" activities in Europe and the RF-86A "Ashtray" flights...

:

:

:

Found some quick googled RF-100A pics if you ain't seenum yet ~> http://www.f-100.org/hun111.shtml

A cracking read and so evocative of the Cold War - thank you.

No problem, hope it helps!