Sign in to follow this  
flameout513

Category for Mod Updates

I was wondering if anyone would like to see all updates for addon aircraft/skins/ground objects etc. under a separate category instead of being under file announcements with everything else. I have to search each page for announcements of an update or go through all the downloads looking for updates. I don't know what it would take to do such a change but the Administrators might give this option some thought and if feasible great if not I understand.

Well, in a perfect world, a modder would update the package internally then simply reupload and adjust the package's release notice. In other words, the one version you find is the most current version there is...you can look at the F-15, Super Hornet and F-111 packages as examples. However, this can cost considerable time and bandwidth. A separate category just for updates sounds nice in theory, but I'll put money no one would look there anyway, or they would assume the update contains the complete package...which it wouldn't. The best thing is find the initial package and then run a search in the forums or the release thread for updates.

FC

I see what you mean. Just thought to ask but cost bandwidth and usage are deciding factors. Thanks for the response.

Actually there is an area of each download that has a button that will notify you if a file is updated. I use it religiously. That is how I knew FastCargo updated his F-15, F-111 and Superhornets packs. It right under the download button call "Watch this file" Its also at the very top. The time you spend looking for updated file will be reduced.

The other issue that I can see is that everytime you downloaded a file you would also have to check to see if its updated which could be tiresome shall we say... especially if you are downloading a few files.

I like it the way it is that way I know that the file is the latest file. Just my 2 cents worth...

What it boils down to is the maker's responsibility to make sure to note any changes, not the Admin's or Moderators. If you're going to update it then you should let people know rather than just fixing it and not telling people.

Do people not see this???:

File Name RF-4E Pack for SF2 vers1.0 by ravenclaw_007

Submitted 26 January 2011 - 05:32:35 AM

Last Updated Yesterday, 01:34:09 PM

File Size 156.88MB (Estimated Download Times)

Views 530

Downloads 256

Support Topic Click here to visit support topic

Or the "Watch this file" Button which I assume that once a file is changed that the requestor merely gets an email notification based on his or her settings?